Can We All Agree?

eppy4life

I think the must win talk is laughable. Everyone gets their panties in a wad because Chico has the chance to campaign not afforded to other candidates. At the same time, other candidates don't have to prove themselves by beating better teams with Todge's terrible roster.

Chico deserves no cake but he has to eat it too?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If we lose this weekend does everyone not agree that Canales for coach can be laid to rest?

I felt that wins over WKU and ULM were must wins and Canales needed a win over Troy or Muts to also add to his resume to be considered.

OK, any candidate who doesn't will two football games between now and Nov. 28 is eliminated.

• Upvote 1

I think the must win talk is laughable. Everyone gets their panties in a wad because Chico has the chance to campaign not afforded to other candidates. At the same time, other candidates don't have to prove themselves by beating better teams with Todge's terrible roster.

Chico deserves no cake but he has to eat it too?

So you'd be fine hiring someone who's only head coaching experience was a 2-3 record with wins over WKU and ULM because he at least fired up our players? I love what Canales has done with this thing so far but let it be said I loved what Dodge did here off the field. There comes a point when you have to win games.

This is an important hire that we have to get right. I don't think anyone would approve of hiring Canales without a win this weekend.

• Upvote 3

So you'd be fine hiring someone who's only head coaching experience was a 2-3 record with wins over WKU and ULM because he at least fired up our players? I love what Canales has done with this thing so far but let it be said I loved what Dodge did here off the field. There comes a point when you have to win games.

This is an important hire that we have to get right. I don't think anyone would approve of hiring Canales without a win this weekend.

I guess that means Fran is off the board since he couldn't cut it at in a bigger program like aTm.

• Upvote 2

??

Fran had a winning record at A&M. Fran has had a winning record everywhere he has been! I certainly hope Fran is not off the board.

I don't believe Fran was ever on the board in the first place, so he can't be off something he was never on. So, I guess that works, right? He's not off. Logical even to Spock. :lol:

• Downvote 1

If we lose this weekend does everyone not agree that Canales for coach can be laid to rest?

I felt that wins over WKU and ULM were must wins and Canales needed a win over Troy or Muts to also add to his resume to be considered.

It really shouldn't matter if Mike loses the rest of the games on the schedule. The only thing that should matter is if he has the skill sets, mindset and mental toughness to make the transition from coordinator to head coach. They are two completely different jobs requiring two completely sets of skills and qualities. He's either the man for the job or he is not.

Edited by MizzouTigers
  • Upvote 2

All I'm saying is the roster/depth are issues Todge had to be held accountable for. He got no pass when the injuries occurred because the depth behind the starters was assembled under his watch. Judging Canales solely on the ability to beat teams better than the one he finds himself in charge of is silly.

None of us have as much at stake in this hire as RV himself. He knows he's got to get it right and I'll be perfectly happy with whoever he selects. Canales included, regardless of his record the rest of the season.

??

Fran had a winning record at A&M. Fran has had a winning record everywhere he has been! I certainly hope Fran is not off the board.

Did he ever win the Big 12 or the South? Did he ever come in 2nd in the B12 South?

??

To be honest, Fran did have a losing record at New Mexico. But he took an awful program with 17 losing seasons in their last 20 and finished his last season with a 9-4 record (good enough to land the TCU job). It took him three seasons to get that program turned around and he ended three games below .500.

Having said that, let me echo your last statement..."I certainly hope Fran is not off the board."

I get the glam that comes with Coach Fran but he was middle of the road at best with aTm.

From wikipedia:

Upon being hired by Texas A&M, Franchione brought the majority of his coaching staff with him to College Station for the 2003 season. Franchione signed a contract that was set to pay him a yearly salary of $1.7 million through 2010. The Aggies finished the 2003 season with a 4–8 record, including a nationally televised 77–0 loss to Oklahoma, the worst loss in A&M's history. The season also marked the first losing season for the Aggies after 21 years.

During his five-season tenure at A&M, Franchione did not produce a team that finished higher than third in the Big 12 South. Though he was able to bring recruiting classes that ranked among the top 13 nationally from 2003–05, none of his teams ranked in the postseason AP or Coaches national polls. He also compiled a 4–16 record against ranked teams, and a 4–14 record against Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas Tech. Additionally, he compiled a 19–21 Big 12 record.

Not exactly a stellar performance with the #2 team out of Texas.

Edited by UNTFan23

I get the glam that comes with Coach Fran but he was middle of the road at best with aTm.

When Franchione became one of the announced finalists for the SDSU job two years ago, I was initially aghast. For one thing, I saw the aTm performance you cite and thought he really stunk it up there. However, although he was never my first choice to coach the Aztecs, I eventually decided I could have lived with him. I think if you look carefully at the aTm situation you will see that recruiting had fallen off under RC Slocum. Also in Franchione's final season coming off a 9-win season he was 7-2 going into his game against Kansas, which won the Orange Bowl that year, had a couple huge injuries during the game to his QB and a couple other key players, lost by eight and then everything fell apart the next two weeks at top 10 Oklahoma and Missouri. He nevertheless rallied the troops to upset Texas the next week before losing his bowl game.

Not pushing for Coach Fran, just sayin'.