Thoughts On Canales' Efforts To Land The Job

MeanGreen61

You know there are 2 sources working with all this happening now

(1) Many times, it's GoMeanGreen.com urban tale groupies (as another alum from a big time school told me he calls theirs on his alma mater's message board) repeating things so many times over and over that they become gospel truth and whatever the subject each all but takes on a life of their own or...

(2) Whatever leaks out of some real source on campus from legitimate sources.

What I have heard not knowing if comes from the above #1 or #2 has said that UNT powers could come up with $600,000 for a new HFC and a million to spread among a new assistant football staff which (if true) might raise the top to bottom quality of that group's quality; although we may very well have 2 or 3 assistants now that might fit into whatever new system we end up with whoever the new HFC turns out to be.

Plumm, I like you and your passion for your alma mater but dude, you gotta realize that Hayden Fry hasn't been at UNT for umpteen years, he won't come back, and you've got to move on from the Fry days. He might have been a great coach, in fact the best coach UNT ever had, but after all is said and done he never got us in the SWC, never got us in a bowl, and never significantly raised football game attendance.

Having said that, I don't see the point of your response to my post. $400-500K per year for a HC is NOT going to get us a big name coach. If you want to pull my pubes over numbers, lets go ahead and go with your $600K per year for a HC. Do you really think that makes a difference when it comes to bringing in a big name coach? No, not a bit of a damn difference. Look at the average CUSA HC salary and even throwing out June Jones' high of $2M per year at SMU, $600K isn't going to get you an average CUSA HC. Again, I love your piss and vinegar love for UNT, just quit slanting BS to try and prove a point. We either need to spend at least $1.3M per year to get a BIG NAME coach or be resigned at getting a good OC or DC for our next HC at a bargain price of only $600K per year.

Plumm, I like you and your passion for your alma mater but dude, you gotta realize that Hayden Fry hasn't been at UNT for umpteen years, he won't come back, and you've got to move on from the Fry days. He might have been a great coach, in fact the best coach UNT ever had, but after all is said and done he never got us in the SWC, never got us in a bowl, and never significantly raised football game attendance.

Having said that, I don't see the point of your response to my post. $400-500K per year for a HC is NOT going to get us a big name coach. If you want to pull my pubes over numbers, lets go ahead and go with your $600K per year for a HC. Do you really think that makes a difference when it comes to bringing in a big name coach? No, not a bit of a damn difference. Look at the average CUSA HC salary and even throwing out June Jones' high of $2M per year at SMU, $600K isn't going to get you an average CUSA HC. Again, I love your piss and vinegar love for UNT, just quit slanting BS to try and prove a point. We either need to spend at least $1.3M per year to get a BIG NAME coach or be resigned at getting a good OC or DC for our next HC at a bargain price of only $600K per year.

Yes, Hayden is in his early 80's now.

$600,000 (proably less) would get North Texas a proven name (with a blemish) who wants to get his career back on track (just like Fry did post-SMU firing--sorry, I had to use the Fry word again) Coach Fran was supposedly willing to take the Nevada job for $400K if it had been offered. The guys really want back in the business.

June Jones already at $2 million? You think all 12,000 SMU fans think they are getting their money's worth on the small stage and small audience he plays before in University Park, Texas? What a waste of good money. Maybe they should give him another million for next year?

Bowls During Fry Era At UNT? There weren't 30 something bowls back then but rather about 8 (give/take) and the Missouri Valley had no bowl tie or Fry in his first year probably would had our first bowl team since our Sun Bowl appearance in 1959. Also, Fry may not have left the Mo' Valley had it had a bowl tie.

Bowls and 6 Win Minimum? Our win over a Southeast Conference Tennessee team in 1975 was a Vol football team with 6 wins that would have been bowl elgible if only there had been 30 (+/-) something bowls back then.

SWC membership? Few really thought the church schools would go for it but ol' Hay' Boy sure got us a lot of statewide publicity with all that SWC business. Darrell Royal was supposed to be one of our sponsors but again, the church schools and Rice?

Fry is the only UNT coach I will ever defer to as any semblance of a model to go by because who of the last 6 or 7 coaches would you use as a role model?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1