Mark Stoops Salary

ElToro6

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4856706

Mark Stoops is only in his 1st year at FSU making $400K Bonuses. Jimbo Fisher is in his 1st year turning FSU into the FSU of old, and I doubt Stoops will leave an ACC school to come to Denton after only being there one year. It would be nice if he did, but he just started. And I doubt the Stoops Ego will let him be a Head Coach at a Sun Belt Conference Team when his big brothers got their first shot at at HC job at a Big 12 and Pac 10 School.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Mark Stoops is only in his 1st year at FSU making $400K Bonuses. Jimbo Fisher is in his 1st year turning FSU into the FSU of old, and I doubt Stoops will leave an ACC school to come to Denton after only being there one year. It would be nice if he did, but he just started. And I doubt the Stoops Ego will let him be a Head Coach at a Sun Belt Conference Team when his big brothers got their first shot at at HC job at a Big 12 and Pac 10 School.

And Canales....while qualified for a higher paying OC position accepted one for 90k when he made twice as much at USF and was let go for no reason.

• Upvote 1

Ego? Seriously? What is he five years old and he wants to one up his brothers and be the neatest Stoops brother of em all? So Stoops is in his first year at FSU so that would naturally preclude him from lowering himself to take the job at NT? If your argument is about taking less money or wanting to be a part of what Fisher is building at a once proud FSU then I'll buy that. But ego?

And Canales....while qualified for a higher paying OC position accepted one for 90k when he made twice as much at USF and was let go for no reason.

I didnt say anything about Cooach Canales, I was just stating the fact that it is unlikely that Mark would come to UNT. Unlike Canales's situation, Jimbo Fisher doesnt get involved in off the field (locker room) incidents like Canales's HC at USF. So Mark will not be in the same situation as Canales.

Must this always turn into a Pro or Anti Canales board? Cant we all just get along?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I didnt say anything about Cooach Canales, I was just stating the fact that it is unlikely that Mark would come to UNT. Unlike Canales's situation, Jimbo Fisher doesnt get involved in off the field (locker room) incidents like Canales's HC at USF. So Mark will not be in the same situation as Canales.

Must this always turn into a Pro or Anti Canales board? Cant we all just get along?

So I still don't get why Stoops wouldn't come here. Does he not want a chance at being a HC?

If he wants a head coach job, we're a head coach job.

All of you Canales people (and I don't mean his supporters, but I mean the people who literally share his name or lineage) really need to dial it down a notch. He's earning consideration on the field. All you idiots are doing is alienating people who might otherwise be disposed to retaining him.

Because honestly, if head coach Mike Canales would mean the lot of you people are going to be around for the duration... I'd rather see the guy get let go tomorrow and take all of you with him. Not because of anything he hasn't done to earn consideration, but just because I almost can't stand coming here anymore because of all this kind of crap.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Must EVERY other name that comes up as even a remotely possible hypothetical candidate for this job get the "he'd suck/he's evil/he'd fail/he'd never be interested in you lowly peons" treatment from Team Chico?

Can't you all just take a breath and let the guy either go out and earn it or not?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So I still don't get why Stoops wouldn't come here. Does he not want a chance at being a HC?

I take back my "ego" comment. I just associate my dislike for OU with anyone with the last Names of Stoops. I was just saying that it is highly unlikely that he would take a paycut to come to UNT when he is already making $500K @ FSU.

Does anyone know what our next HC salary range will be? I know we have to pay out Dodge's contract, and if the assistants are let go when a new HC comes in we will have to pay out their salaries also. Does that make things challenging for us with paying the new HC?

• Downvote 1

Does anyone know what our next HC salary range will be?

As NT80 linked elsewhere on this forum, Stoops was chasing the 1-AA Youngstown State HC job last year. And I think we've got the bankroll to pay better than a 1-AA school.

If we're already talking to him, great. He's a good one to consider.

Edit: YSU's hire, Eric Wolford, earns a salary of $200-250k

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1

Must EVERY other name that comes up as even a remotely possible hypothetical candidate for this job get the "he'd suck/he's evil/he'd fail/he'd never be interested in you lowly peons" treatment from Team Chico?

Can't you all just take a breath and let the guy either go out and earn it or not?

I am not apart of any team but North Texas. The sad part is that the boards are either pro or anti Canales. When the man has done some pretty good things for the school, the program, and most importantly the players and seniors on the team.

I am not apart of any team but North Texas. The sad part is that the boards are either pro or anti Canales. When the man has done some pretty good things for the school, the program, and most importantly the players and seniors on the team.

Well, I don't believe you. And I don't understand how anyone that's been keeping up with your posting history wouldn't obviously and immediately conclude that your participation here is apparently dedicated to promoting Canales and immediately slamming on any other candidate that even gets whispered as a possibility.

• Upvote 1

Look I like Canales....but the school is in a situation where our next head coach will either make or continue to break this school's football tradition. Not to say that Canales isn't the man for the job but I can say with conviction that if we did not go after all we could externally instead of offering to a guy that has been here one year and has won one game since being HC (and a very close 2nd game) that the fan base of this school would be pissed. Now if the question of ego is brought up with the likes of some other coaches I have seen listed as "potentials"

then I would agree that that could be a swaying factor in the coaches decision as to whether or not he entertains this HC job. I seriously doubt that Stoops is in that position. As mentioned earlier....Stoops recently was "the candidate of choice" at both UNLV and Youngstown State in 2009. The fact that he had to toss up FSU DC, YSU HC or UNLV HC says allot about his "ego" (even though you took it back :D )

Maybe you just happened to sign up right after Dodge's firing, and maybe you just happen to relate every single one of your posts to the current head coaching search, and maybe you just happen to have special feelings for Coach Canales in your heart, but it sure does seems like an awful big coincidence.

And I don't believe in coincidences.

Your group needs to understand that by constantly pandering on this board and slighting other candidates for the position, you run the risk of making Coach Canales look petty. Losing doesn't make a fan base stupid, and to treat it like it does can turn on you in a heartbeat.

Tread very carefully.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Double Edit: North Texas' own Eric Wolford.

He also has connections with Kansas State and South Florida.

*From the Youngstown State web-site*

Wolford had the unique experience of coaching in the first three seasons of the South Florida football program, helping to lead the Bulls to two winning seasons as an FCS independent alongside Leavitt.

He began his coaching career at Kansas State where he served as a graduate assistant and worked with the offensive line for Snyder. From there, he spent a year as the offensive line and strength coach at Emporia State.

BTW our very own Deep Throat only said that it was a coach currently on the staff at FSU. We just assumed it was Stoops based on him being the biggest and most recognizable name. So you have several more coaches to sully the good names of. I should think that you would use your time more wisely. Carry on and happy hunting.

Okay, I think the world of you, but you're starting to annoy me. Can you tell me why Canales has to work (and considering your tone, he would have to be wildly successful) for his chance to be considered? While all the other candidates are basically sitting on their past records.....which occured at programs with (compared to North Texas) vast resources.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Okay, I think the world of you, but you're starting to annoy me. Can you tell me why Canales has to work (and considering your tone, he would have to be wildly successful) for his chance to be considered? While all the other candidates are basically sitting on their past records.....which occured at programs with (compared to North Texas) vast resources.

Haven't seen a steady stream of new members of the board only posting about what a great candidate Mark Stoops (or Fran, Leach, Leavitt) would be, have you?

Thats the point. And it is annoying.

• Downvote 1

That's a fair question. I talked about this already on the thread that FFR started, but I'm very impressed with the improvement we've seen under Canales and the fundamental things he's already doing (timeouts, playcalling, etc.) that Dodge never seemed to get in his 3.5 years.

What I mean when I say we ought to let this thing play out and see how he finishes is that there are still 3 more games to be played. If he keeps performing at this level, then he deserves fair consideration and I already said that I'd prefer keeping him to going out after a coordinator from some other program.

But if we lose out, especially if we look bad doing it... Then all this Canales family salesmanship and poo flinging towards other names that may or may not be on the table would be totally pointless anyway. If things keep up, Canales will get his due respect and all the proper consideration that quality performance would deserve. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't and won't.

I'm not saying that Canales has to go out and sweep the three remaining games and beat a bowl bound K-State team. I'm saying that all the campaigning by our vocal new board members won't be worth jack if the results don't hold up. Lose out, and there's no chance he's sticking around anyway.

Basically, me loathing these people shouldn't be misread as me not recognizing or appreciating what the actual coach has shown us so far. All I'm saying is let the guy make his own case. Because the friends and family are not helping his cause, at least not with me.

And, obviously, not with Plumm, either. :P

• Upvote 1

Haven't seen a steady stream of new members of the board only posting about what a great candidate Mark Stoops (or Fran, Leach, Leavitt) would be, have you?

Thats the point. And it is annoying.

This is right on point. The constant, blatant shilling is what's pushing me over the edge into Plummer-esque rants.

We're obviously going to get a lot of guests, many with their own agenda in commenting, stopping by because of the ongoing coaching search. The SDSU (or is it SJSU? Sorry if I mixed it up) guy has been a great outside voice. He's obviously got his own perspective and thoughts, and he's been polite and respectful whenever he thinks we're way off base on our opinions. I hope he'll stick around for a while.

The guy who was here stumping for Leavitt was kind of a beating, but at least he was honest and candid about where he was coming from and why he was full bore pimping Leavitt as a candidate. He may have been abrasive, but at least he was up front about his bias.

But the Canales folks are making the windmill people look like geniuses and masters of subtlety.

It would annoy but not anger me if they'd just admit what they're trying to do. But this "I'm just a fan of North Texas!" and "I only want what's best for the program!" and so on and so forth is insulting and infuriating. Once you've been called out on it by half a dozen people, just admit why you're pushing the agenda you have, because the people here are not stupid and you are NOT fooling anyone.

That's a fair question. I talked about this already on the thread that FFR started, but I'm very impressed with the improvement we've seen under Canales and the fundamental things he's already doing (timeouts, playcalling, etc.) that Dodge never seemed to get in his 3.5 years.

What I mean when I say we ought to let this thing play out and see how he finishes is that there are still 3 more games to be played. If he keeps performing at this level, then he deserves fair consideration and I already said that I'd prefer keeping him to going out after a coordinator from some other program.

But if we lose out, especially if we look bad doing it... Then all this Canales family salesmanship and poo flinging towards other names that may or may not be on the table would be totally pointless anyway. If things keep up, Canales will get his due respect and all the proper consideration that quality performance would deserve. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't and won't.

I'm not saying that Canales has to go out and sweep the three remaining games and beat a bowl bound K-State team. I'm saying that all the campaigning by our vocal new board members won't be worth jack if the results don't hold up. Lose out, and there's no chance he's sticking around anyway.

Basically, me loathing these people shouldn't be misread as me not recognizing or appreciating what the actual coach has shown us so far. All I'm saying is let the guy make his own case. Because the friends and family are not helping his cause, at least not with me.

And, obviously, not with Plumm, either. :P

I'd like to think that most of these recent "participants" are not directly connected with Coach Canales. If they are, it all seems rather unseemly, and offensive, and most of all VERY INSULTING TO OUR INTELLIGENCE. As if we are a bunch of rubes or bumpkins.

I seriously doubt that what they are doing is being orchestrated by Coach Canales.

I find nothing wrong with someone wanting a job and going after it. Especially if he has already put a lot of work into it.

If I had to give Coach Canales any advise about "enhancing" his chances (other than winning the remainder of the games) of getting the job, I would tell him to go to every student organization and faculty organization and ask them to come back to campus after Thanksgiving and support the team. I don't know if a coach has ever done that, but I think it would be very well received.

We really need a promoter as a coach....winning alone won't do it. I don't have the 2004 numbers, but during DD's first three bowl years our average attendance was, 14,7769, 15,260, and 18,694.

I really don't think that Coach Canales regards this board as a difference maker in the hiring process.

I seriously doubt that what they are doing is being orchestrated by Coach Canales.

Just for the record, I don't think it is, either.

I doubt this is going on at his request. I know if I were him and this were going down the way it appears to be, I'd be embarrassed.