Change In Unt Football

I am NOT a UNT alum, however, I have been attending UNT games, 1-2 a year for the past 6 years.

Last night's game was one of the best games I have seen UNT play in a long time. There was team enthusiasm, the coach was was contantly encouraging the players, even after after big plays/scores by Troy, and the players never once, not once, gave up. How refreshing! That attitude comes from the Head Coach.

Yes, your AD wants to hire a "proven" coach, a "big-name" coach. Jim Leavitt - a complete and total jerk. Dennis Franchione - brings no fire-in-the-belly attitude, and it's been proven that Patterson was the reason he was so successful. Jeff Bowers - don't know much about him, but was a successful coach that USM probably wished they hadn't fired. I can't think of any "big-name" head coaches that have come to the Sun Belt and been successful.

Should Canales be the next HC? I don't know and can't answer that. In reading RV's statements, he doesn't have a chance to be hired, and that is understandable. BUT, the players have bought into his coaching and playing their butts off for him.

In the future, based on what he has shown so far, he will be a successful HC somewhere, and UNT will be looking back and saying, "Wow, we should have hired him when we had the chance."

Before any of you start posting replies that start off by saying, "Thanks for posting, Coach," or "Gee, Mrs. Canales, this isn't the way to get your husband a job," I can assure you that I have never met the man, his wife, and am not related in any way. I'm just an Interested Observer that has been reading this Forum for a long time and decided to register and post after what I observed last night.

Carry on with your in-house bickering.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

There are a lot of people on this forum who have different opinions on what we ought to be looking for in a head coach than I do. I think Lifer and Kram are pretty intensely anti-Franchione (If I remember right... Sorry if I'm wrong, gentlemen). And 93-98 has a very different take on Jeff Bower than I do.

Even though they have different opinions, I've still been reading and listening to what they have to say. I may not agree, but I'm listening.

But I've decided to ignore pretty much everything Head Coach HSO-related that I see from members who joined this forum after August of this year. Unless I've met them in person. And I'm pretty skeptical of anyone who has only been around starting after January of this year, too.

Welcome to all our new fans and thanks for being a part of the community. I'll start really giving a damn about your thoughts and opinions when the next major decision on our football program comes around. If you're still here then, that is.

In the meantime, I'll be at every home basketball game and many of the road ones if anyone wants to stop by and say hello.

Bring a driver's license or a birth certificate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am NOT a UNT alum, however, I have been attending UNT games, 1-2 a year for the past 6 years.

Last night's game was one of the best games I have seen UNT play in a long time. There was team enthusiasm, the coach was was contantly encouraging the players, even after after big plays/scores by Troy, and the players never once, not once, gave up. How refreshing! That attitude comes from the Head Coach.

Yes, your AD wants to hire a "proven" coach, a "big-name" coach. Jim Leavitt - a complete and total jerk. Dennis Franchione - brings no fire-in-the-belly attitude, and it's been proven that Patterson was the reason he was so successful. Jeff Bowers - don't know much about him, but was a successful coach that USM probably wished they hadn't fired. I can't think of any "big-name" head coaches that have come to the Sun Belt and been successful.

Should Canales be the next HC? I don't know and can't answer that. In reading RV's statements, he doesn't have a chance to be hired, and that is understandable. BUT, the players have bought into his coaching and playing their butts off for him.

In the future, based on what he has shown so far, he will be a successful HC somewhere, and UNT will be looking back and saying, "Wow, we should have hired him when we had the chance."

Before any of you start posting replies that start off by saying, "Thanks for posting, Coach," or "Gee, Mrs. Canales, this isn't the way to get your husband a job," I can assure you that I have never met the man, his wife, and am not related in any way. I'm just an Interested Observer that has been reading this Forum for a long time and decided to register and post after what I observed last night.

Since my graduation year of 1976, I have noticed how so many UNT alums just seem to get attached to the wrong people--it's almost predictable at North Texas every time we need to have yet another coach's search.

Since 1978 after Fry left for Iowa, many of us old gun alums have seen a passing parade of coaches of which 1 got to move to the next level. All the other projects disappeared in the NCAA or High School wood work.

I saw DD even after his black unis' fiasco still have his loyalist who wanted him to get another 5 year contact (and hang what anyone else thought or how Bottom 25 mediocre we would continue with what apparently is the true NCAA FBS "conference nirvana" for some North Texas alums ie, the Sun Belt Conference. Nevermind what the rest of the country and sportswriters think of our always toward the bottom of the barrell football conference. That doesn't really matter with what our expectations are these days for UNT, now does it?

Now the JJ basketball troops on this board love it because it might be a league we can dominate albeit we know the SBC BB champioin will rarely get past the first round of the Big Dance but that doesn't matter with our basketball crowd. Just throw them an occasional "First Round or Big Dance" bone and they are happy and content for another 5 or so years with that. Meanwhile, we will see other schools pass us by like we've seen so many times in our football past.

Our football fans seem to be content with what they've also gotten the last 30 years, too. Look at the hardy handful of a couple of new Canales Stepford Fans now? I told an alum this is almost becoming a comedy of North Texas type (and our usual) proportions. They, too, seem to be caught up in a pentecostal type revival of "holy good gosh" emotion; but I fear once all that emotion subsides and they come down to earth there will be one helluva lot of Buyer's Remorse for this week's Flavor of the Month and scenarios similar we've had too many times at North Texas. For you who dare, just check out our last 6 UNT HFC's w/l records if you need more proof. Of course, at UNT we dare not use any of our illustrious football history of the last 30 years lest we may go off course and try something that might actually work? It seems bad history in hires just keeps repeating itself in Denton.

Don't know who would want to come to North Texas knowing we have fans who would all but accept Lucifer himself as "their guy" if he gave them a free T-Shirt or little bitty football to their kids or tell them he can do it all at North Texas as Head Football Coach; albeit he's never done it yet in a multi-year journey as a journeyman's coach.

Do we get suckered in yet again? You know like when Helwig was a one man coach's selection committee and got us an unknown commodity of a coach from SMU from his same alma mater who also had a very extensive journeyman resume' too? Some who no longer look at this board because of what they have to read from our under-achievers were so pissed at that hiring because they knew the goals would be set low with "success toward the Bottom 25" part of the NCAA D1-A (as it was known back then).

We would be the biggest suckers in the NCAA to accept what will keep us mediocre for another 4 or 5 years and now many outside the hardy handful on GMG.com will now know why--it's no longer a secret that we can keep in wraps. Our fellow Texans from other collegiate outposts continue to laugh because they are most assured we will probably screw this thing up again as our SBC bretheran certainly hope that we do.

So come on, have at it while I go to a Wedding--you cannot make the heat too hot in my kitchen and my non North Texas friends could tell you that for damn sure! :argue::bangin::baby::disgust:

• Downvote 32

Now the JJ basketball troops on this board love it because it might be a league we can dominate albeit we know the SBC BB champioin will rarely get past the first round of the Big Dance but that doesn't matter with our basketball crowd. Just throw them an occasional "First Round or Big Dance" bone and they are happy and content for another 5 or so years with that. Meanwhile, we will see other schools pass us by like we've seen so many times in our football past.

You should really tap the brakes and stick to football critique.

Right now, there are only 9 non-BCS basketball teams I'm jealous of: Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler, Memphis, BYU, Utah State, Akron, Nevada, and San Diego State.

If you can tell me why, then you'll know what it means to say another basketball program has passed us by. Until then, no bashing Johnny Jones.

Didn't mean to hijack.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Folks.... we've reached a new level of stupidity.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Since my graduation year of 1976, I have noticed how so many UNT alums just seem to get attached to the wrong people--it's almost predictable at North Texas every time we need to have yet another coach's search.

Since 1978 after Fry left for Iowa, many of us old gun alums have seen a passing parade of coaches of which 1 got to move to the next level. All the other projects disappeared in the NCAA or High School wood work.

I saw DD even after his black unis' fiasco still have his loyalist who wanted him to get another 5 year contact (and hang what anyone else thought or how Bottom 25 mediocre we would continue with what apparently is the true NCAA FBS "conference nirvana" for some North Texas alums ie, the Sun Belt Conference. Nevermind what the rest of the country and sportswriters think of our always toward the bottom of the barrell football conference. That doesn't really matter with what our expectations are these days for UNT, now does it?

Our football fans seem to be content with what they've also gotten the last 30 years, too. Look at the hardy handful of a couple of new Canales Stepford Fans now? I told an alum this is almost becoming a comedy of North Texas type (and our usual) proportions. They, too, seem to be caught up in a pentecostal type revival of "holy good gosh" emotion; but I fear once all that emotion subsides and they come down to earth there will be one helluva lot of Buyer's Remorse for this week's Flavor of the Month and scenarios similar we've had too many times at North Texas. For you who dare, just check out our last 6 UNT HFC's w/l records if you need more proof. Of course, at UNT we dare not use any of our illustrious football history of the last 30 years lest we may go off course and try something that might actually work? It seems bad history in hires just keeps repeating itself in Denton.

Don't know who would want to come to North Texas knowing we have fans who would all but accept Lucifer himself as "their guy" if he gave them a free T-Shirt or little bitty football to their kids or tell them he can do it all at North Texas as Head Football Coach; albeit he's never done it yet in a multi-year journey as a journeyman's coach.

Do we get suckered in yet again? You know like when Helwig was a one man coach's selection committee and got us an unknown commodity of a coach from SMU from his same alma mater who also had a very extensive journeyman resume' too? Some who no longer look at this board because of what they have to read from our under-achievers were so pissed at that hiring because they knew the goals would be set low with "success toward the Bottom 25" part of the NCAA D1-A (as it was known back then).

We would be the biggest suckers in the NCAA to accept what will keep us mediocre for another 4 or 5 years and now many outside the hardy handful on GMG.com will now know why--it's no longer a secret that we can keep in wraps. Our fellow Texans from other collegiate outposts continue to laugh because they are most assured we will probably screw this thing up again as our SBC bretheran certainly hope that we do.

So come on, have at it while I go to a Wedding--you cannot make the heat too hot in my kitchen and my non North Texas friends could tell you that for damn sure! :argue::bangin::baby::disgust:

Plumm,

I ran out of -1's on all of your other stupid, and I do mean stupid rants. I'll have to remember on Monday to come back and give your stupidest rant, to date, a -1. But know your ignorance deserves many more negative marks.

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

good post.

First to -1000 wins?

• Upvote 1

PMG--believe it or now, I am a young gun alum and I usually read your posts because I apprecaite your spirit and history as a UNT Football fan. But, for every reason mentioned plus a few that haven't been mentioned, please leave JJ and the hoops team out of this argument. Western Kentucky has made the Sweet Sixteen and were in an eyelash of another Sweet Sixteen berth in 2008 and 2009. South Alabama got a 7 seed in 2008. It can be done in the SBC because it has been done. This isn't football that you are looking back at. The SBC is a quality mid-major league. I still cannot understand how we only got a 15 seed last year, but that's another story. This league is heads and tails better in mens hoops than football and it probably always will be.