Lock And Load T-Shirts

Green Dozer

Thank you Mrs Canales for the t-shirts that you handed out at the game. The "Lock the Gate" theme is really cool, and will make for a cool keepsake for the Mean Green fans who got them. I even saw Emmitt and his group getting the picture taken with her and their new shirts. A certain former coach's wife would not have had her picture taken with Emmitt, I assure you. And yes, I am sure Mrs Canales is doing this to support her husband in getting the job. If the results equal the enthusiasm that she and Coach Canales are showing in this audition, then I say sign them up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Thank you Mrs Canales for the t-shirts that you handed out at the game. The "Lock the Gate" theme is really cool, and will make for a cool keepsake for the Mean Green fans who got them. I even saw Emmitt and his group getting the picture taken with her and their new shirts. A certain former coach's wife would not have had her picture taken with Emmitt, I assure you. And yes, I am sure Mrs Canales is doing this to support her husband in getting the job. If the results equal the enthusiasm that she and Coach Canales are showing in this audition, then I say sign them up.

Let me add a few things to this. 1,000 of these "Lock the Gate" shirts were made and given away. Who paid for them? Your current head coach Chico Canales. That alone would have impressed me. But he endeared himself to me even further. During the Mean Green march I yelled at him "let's go coach! Two straight." He walks over and hands a team autographed football to my 2 year old daughter. Folks, this guy doesnt just want A head coaching job. He wants THIS job. To me that's the first ingredient our next coach HAS to have.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I will echo that sentiment. I was really impressed with Mrs. Canales after getting to meet her. She is really passionate about the team and was not afraid of meeting anyone know that. I right the enthusiasm that she had.

Let me add a few things to this. 1,000 of these "Lock the Gate" shirts were made and given away. Who paid for them? Your current head coach Chico Canales. That alone would have impressed me. But he endeared himself to me even further. During the Mean Green march I yelled at him "let's go coach! Two straight." He walks over and hands a team autographed football to my 2 year old daughter. Folks, this guy doesnt just want A head coaching job. He wants THIS job. To me that's the first ingredient our next coach HAS to have.

You make a great point Emmitt..out of all of the names mentioned in the poll..not one desires "this" job more than Canales. That is something you can take to the bank.

• Upvote 1

After the game tonight we went to Texas Roadhouse in Denton to grab something to eat, and after having been there for a while Coach Canales and his family came into the restaurant. He went by every table of people wearing Mean Green gear, including ours, to stop by and say hello and express his appreciation of their support and talk about how excited he was about the team and how hard they have been working.

Very nice guy and his enthusiasm and energy for the program is contagious. Even after the game he still seemed wound up, positive, full of energy and wanted to engage in conversation with fans.

Very nice guy and his enthusiasm and energy for the program is contagious. Even after the game he still seemed wound up, positive, full of energy and wanted to engage in conversation with fans.

Now gee, who does this sound a little bit like? Silver? PMG? Might either of you have an idea of whom this is reminiscent of?

• Upvote 1

You make a great point Emmitt..out of all of the names mentioned in the poll..not one desires "this" job more than Canales. That is something you can take to the bank.

We don't know that. It's great that Canales and his wife are fighting hard for the job, but we can't assume that he's the only one who would do that. UNT settles too quickly in coaching hires. We have a new stadium and a not-too-distant run of success in our conference. We are in a major media market in a football-mad state. These are selling points that make us attractive to coaches.

I'm OK with Canales being considered, particularly if he wins two more games, but we are not the ugly stepsister of the FBS anymore. We should weigh our options.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Due to a family commitment I did not arrive at the game until almost kick-off, so I was not lucky enough to get a "Lock the Gate" T-shirt, but Mrs. Canales was sitting in the section next to us, so I took it upon myself to go over, introduce myself and thank her and Coach Canales for what they were doing. The spirit in the tailgate area (for those that were there) was great, and Mrs. Canales did a good bit to help that out...in fact, i was told by a couple who did get the t-shirts that she would only give them to people who were actually going to attend the game! That's GREAT...way to go Mrs. Canales. Also, she was up until after 2AM Saturday morning burning CD's of the song that was recorded to go along with the "Lock the Gate" theme. I did score a couple of the CD's.

This Coach and his wife REALLY REALLY want to be the next head coach at UNT. If you get Coach Chico....you also get Mrs. Canales...and from what have seen so far...that might indeed be a very good thing!

I know I have not been "on board" with keeping Coach Canales as UNT's next head Coach, but after what I saw of the team last night and what I saw and heard of what Mrs. and Coach Canales were doing to pick up the enthusiasm, I am fast getting on board the Coach Canales bandwagon. This just may not be a bad move on RV's part to keep Coach Canales.

I do think he has earned the right to some serious consideration.

If you were at the game last evening, you saw a fired up team and a team that seemed to think they could and should win that game. Pretty darn exciting game. My bride and I really enjoyed ourselves. Too bad so few fans were there to see it! The team played their hearts out and Coach Canales was one dynamo on the sidelines. That in itself, was all but worth the price of admission.

If you stayed home because you were "burned out of the team" you made a mistake and you missed a really great game!

There are positive things happening....this will be fun to watch.

GO MEAN GREEN!

As long as he knows how to recruit I would be happy with him staying. The pure energy he shows on the field and off is impressive. I could always easily point him out on the sidelines since he was constantly sprinting back and forth in order to talk to players, coaches, refs, etc.

This is what worries the hell out of me. While I love what I have seen the last two weeks we cannot go on a Canales love fest and let it hinder our head coach search.

I know I'm not part of the coaching search and I'd guess that nobody else on this board is either. We can have a love fest for Canales, Paris Hilton, or J. Quinn all we want but I don't think it's going to sway the opinion of the real decision makers.

Anyone have pics of the shirts?

This Chico guy is making it really hard on us to talk other coaches.

No, he is making it hard for a small group on a message board not talk about other coaches. There is no reason to believe RV is not talking to lots of other candidates. And most of those conversations, if not virtually all, will not ever be mentioned in the press.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No, he is making it hard for a small group on a message board not talk about other coaches. There is no reason to believe RV is not talking to lots of other candidates. And most of those conversations, if not virtually all, will not ever be mentioned in the press.

Yes

I don't know, man. I read a lot of posts here that indicated this wasn't happening.

Also, +50

To clarify: the us I was referring to was GMG, not UNT officials in charge of hiring. I'm sure RV likes seeing this passion out of Chico, as well as the boost in team morale and performance the last two weeks.

Let's agree that Bower's chances are going way down after what Chico has done the last two weeks....or let's hope.

I definitely like what Coach Canales has done and will support him as long as he is on this coaching staff.

I also don't mind hearing support for any of the other candidates. It could be that some that we are supporting don't want to be here and, if so, certainly won't be a finalist.

All of those who agree to be interviewed want to be here. Some may not have the burning desire of Mike Canales. All probably have ulterior motives. I seriously doubt that any want this to be the end destination for their coaching career. Thus, they will do their best to use it as a stepping stone. That includes Coach Canales. In fact, I'd say that Chico wants to be a head coach...period. And, so far, it looks as if he deserves a head coaching position.

So, I (nor anyone else) shouldn't have an objection to anyone tooting the horn of their favorite. I do have a problem with the selection of someone who hasn't been a HFC for at least a few games. We have no room for learning curves with this hire.

Edited by GrayEagle

My sentiments exactly

I find it interesting that when someone such as Canales does a positive thing, such as the T-Shirts, some people find a way to turn it into a negative. I found it quite refreshing to hear of such a move by the coach and was very appreciative of it. No, I did not receive one, but that does not change my opinion of the situation.

No, I am not kin to Canales, nor had I even heard of him prior to his arrival here. But what I have done is sought out the man and congratulated him on what he has been able to do so far. Yes, I did have to step away from the comforts of the office chair, make myself presentable to be in public and gather the energy to do so, but I felt it was the right thing to do. Perhaps I even waited for the team buses to arrive after the Western game and congratulated them on their win.

Some on here could benefit by putting their money where their mouth is and take a little effort and do some good. Complaining while sitting on your arse does no good. Go see the coach, players and RV. Tell them good job, show them some appreciation and ask the questions that you have. You might just be surprised at what you hear and then you won't have to keep typing about the likes of Leach, Franchionne, Bower, Leavitt and all of your favorite has beens. Because if you did as I suggested, you would know that RV has the feeling that none of those fit what he wants. Leavitt's legal baggage is excessive, Bower has gotten to old, Leach is waiting to check into rehab for anger management (Laugh it is a joke), and Fran does not fit the bill. In the end, we are still in the Sun Belt. Like it or not, a dose of reality says we cannot touch certain coaches. The above mentioned are easily touched with the right paycheck. Others need more than that and at this time, we simply can't even find their telephone number! Let's be thankful for what we have in our hand before we s@#t in the other.

You don't have to believe me, as I don't expect you to. But you owe it to yourself to ask those in the know. RV is not hard to miss at the games. He would be the guy with graying hair and a turkey in the oven!

Having love for a program is one thing. Having love and realistic expectations is another. In the mean time, sit back and relax. You are not the deciding factor anyway!

Note: If you are offended by what I have written here, I must apologize. It is simply an observation and opinion.

Harry, thanks for the efforts in making such a venue possible. It is greatly appreciated.

Edited by GreenEagleEye
  • Upvote 1