Conference Expansion

MCMLXXX

"But sources at the league office confirmed there is concern the football members might be considering breaking away."

If the non-football schools try and block expansion this would be an option for the football schools. With eight football members they could go to either 9, 10, or 12 in expansion.

The Big East taking TCU and Houston would be ideal for NT, offering openings in the MWC and CUSA-West. :)

If UNT gets a chance at conf USA, MWC they better jump as fast as they can, even if TCU and Houston are not a memeber of either, A shot at something like the Big East would be great...just highly unlikely....the RV experiment has probably killed many upcomming opportunities.

• Downvote 3

TCU is using their limited MWC time and success to obtain a potential Big East (BCS auto bowl) invite. It, conference membership, must be seen as steps to the next level, not a forever membership until you get to the top. NT has been in the SunBelt long enough, time for us to move on and up. Steps.

agreed, but what do we bring to the table? average mens bb attendance less than 4,000;football less than 18,000. no tv following. tough sell.

• Upvote 1

Is the TCU to the Big East all-sports or just football. I keep reading different things this morning. If it's just football, any chance the TCU takes their other sports to the Sun Belt. The Belt would have an open spot once Denver leaves and would be more than happy to add TCU. I can't see TCU doing it, but it'd be good for the Belt.

We are not going to get into either CUSA or the MWC this time unless we indicate that we are serious about football by selecting a name coach.

The choice of Canales or other coordinator/assistant will signal that we are not ready to be a serious player in conference talk.

If that's the choice then stay in the Belt. We will still be the only one in the state in that conference unless they decide to take Lamar. It looks as if UTSA and Texas State will be gone to the WAC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dump Denver, bring in Texas State and build the belt.

Rick

I think that we should do this, too, but then again, I think UTSA and TSU-SM should both be in the SBC. They both would finally give us a chance to develop some in-state rivalries that will never happen with the other Texas schools.

We are not going to get into either CUSA or the MWC this time unless we indicate that we are serious about football by selecting a name coach.

The choice of Canales or other coordinator/assistant will signal that we are not ready to be a serious player in conference talk.

If that's the choice then stay in the Belt. We will still be the only one in the state in that conference unless they decide to take Lamar. It looks as if UTSA and Texas State will be gone to the WAC.

If that happens, and the Sun Belt doesn't even take a stab at getting either one....I will just never understand it. Look, UTSA and TSU are going to be D1, if the WAC thing happens. UNT should be trying to get them into our conference as fast as possible if for no other reason than to keep them from breaking out in the WAC. The WAC is an even bigger pile of garbage than the Sun Belt. It is entirely possible that one of those teams follows the Boise blueprint and just dominates that weak conference to the point that they build up and "pass us by." Bring them into the Belt so we can at least have a shot at whooping up on them---nevermind the in-state rivalries that would be created and the possibility of nabbing LaTech once the WAC finally implodes.

I hate to see anymore D1 schools in Texas, but this is a foregone conclusion at this point. It's time for the Belt to take some leadership here. Bring them both in, plus Louisiana Tech and get some divisional play going. UNT saved this conference back in 2004. It's time for the conference to repay us.

According to an article in the NY Daily Times, TCU is open to the idea of joining the Big East as a football only member. They would need a place for their other sports. I think the Sun Belt should make a move to get them to join the Belt. They don't add much for men's basketball but are good in other sports (esp baseball).

From story...

TCU, currently a member of the Mountain West, wants in. The Horned Frogs realize, by joining the Big East, they would reap the benefits of playing in an automatic BCS-qualifying conference in football. The move would give the Horned Frogs an easier passage to the national spotlight they have had trouble getting, despite their success. TCU would then place its other sports in another geographically desirable conference.

TCU has been privately receptive to that idea, feeling it could follow the same path as BYU, which recently announced its intention to go independent in football and was able to find a refuge for its other sports in the West Coast Conference. But the WCC took BYU because it felt the Cougars were a Top-25 caliber basketball program that could upgrade its chances of getting more teams in the NCAA Tournament.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/11/03/2010-11-03_big_east_looks_to_get_bigger.html?r=sports#ixzz14ElxelbZ

According to an article in the NY Daily Times, TCU is open to the idea of joining the Big East as a football only member. They would need a place for their other sports. I think the Sun Belt should make a move to get them to join the Belt. They don't add much for men's basketball but are good in other sports (esp baseball).

From story...

TCU, currently a member of the Mountain West, wants in. The Horned Frogs realize, by joining the Big East, they would reap the benefits of playing in an automatic BCS-qualifying conference in football. The move would give the Horned Frogs an easier passage to the national spotlight they have had trouble getting, despite their success. TCU would then place its other sports in another geographically desirable conference.

TCU has been privately receptive to that idea, feeling it could follow the same path as BYU, which recently announced its intention to go independent in football and was able to find a refuge for its other sports in the West Coast Conference. But the WCC took BYU because it felt the Cougars were a Top-25 caliber basketball program that could upgrade its chances of getting more teams in the NCAA Tournament.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/11/03/2010-11-03_big_east_looks_to_get_bigger.html?r=sports#ixzz14ElxelbZ

If TCU went football-only to the Big East they would have some choices for other sports. The Missouri Valley may be a better fit for them, or they may try CUSA too. Their name recognition will open some doors for interviews. The SBC is not ideal geographically for UNT or TCU either.

I am happy to see all of the Texas State / UTSA love. Many of your fans on this site have been positive about Texas State, but some UNT fans have been trashing us on the SBC and WAC boards for the past few months.

I have said it before. I came to the site because I hoped that Texas State might join the Mean Green in the Belt and renew our rivalry (albeit lopsided). All I have heard from many of the SBC fans is that the SBC is stable, they don't want to take the risk (or continue to the trend) of bringing in FCS teams. Now that it appears that a WAC bid is on the horizon, I hope that we get an opportunity to schedule H/H games with you guys so that I finally have an excuse to make it to Denton.

If TCU went football-only to the Big East they would have some choices for other sports. The Missouri Valley may be a better fit for them, or they may try CUSA too. Their name recognition will open some doors for interviews. The SBC is not ideal geographically for UNT or TCU either.

the WAC needs to make a play for TCU's olympic sports, and if TCU is even slightly interested they need to approach BYU one more time and see if they might bite with TCU in the fold. BYU/TCU is a hell of a lot better than Seattle/Denver.

the WAC needs to make a play for TCU's olympic sports, and if TCU is even slightly interested they need to approach BYU one more time and see if they might bite with TCU in the fold. BYU/TCU is a hell of a lot better than Seattle/Denver.

The WAC is an expensive conference, so I doubt that they will sign up for the WAC in mostly non-revenue sports.