Footballscoop.com

Coach Andy Mac

North Texas: We have confirmed that several people within the North Texas athletic department believe that interim head coach Mike Canales would be a great fit as head coach.

Link to Article

Who? The assistant to the assistant waterboy for the women's basketball team?

I expect RV to stick to his statement that we are conducting a national search for an experienced head football coach with a record of success.

Who? The assistant to the assistant waterboy for the women's basketball team?

I expect RV to stick to his statement that we are conducting a national search for an experienced head football coach with a record of success.

I sure hope so...Canales may be the guy, but we need to look around also....if Canales makes big waves ,with what is left in this team, during the remaining season, it would say tremendous things about his ability...we already know were his heart is.

I would expect the AD to say this.

What else would they say? "No, even though coach Canales is working hard and our players are working hard to try and salvage this season, we feel that coach Canales is simply interim and will not be retained next year..."

What would that do to the morale of the team?

I admire RV, but when he says that this is not a "tryout" scenario for coach Canales, I simply do not believe him. If it's not, then it should be.

North Texas: We have confirmed that several people within the North Texas athletic department believe that interim head coach Mike Canales would be a great fit as head coach.

Link to Article

The decision won't rest with a group in the athletic department of which some merely want to keep the Sun Belt status quo (and for some their very jobs), but look for the 3, ie, our holy tribunal (prez, ad, consultant) who will make the decision and I don't think they will be consulting with anyone employed within the UNT Athletic Dept. They will also not use a win over WKU as a major influencer of a decision for Canales or DeLoach--yes, why not our defensive coordinator since he had the right stuff to even come back to Denton.

I do know talking with a couple of sources who give more than just significant monies to UNT, UNT needs to be extremely careful not to pick a coach who will split the UNT commnity of Big Donors straight down the middle. That group is expecting more than what UNT has dished out the last 30 years.

Most of us peons will fall in line with most any hire, but we also don't influence those who could be or even recommend corporate donors for our new stadium, either.

Good luck to our hiring holy tribunal of UNT, you definitly have your work cut out that will have most definite long term and far reaching results; so please don't let the emotion of any one fleeting moment influence such a decision. Our future in that new football palace is worth more than that.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I admire RV, but when he says that this is not a "tryout" scenario for coach Canales, I simply do not believe him. If it's not, then it should be.

It's a try-out in so far that Canales will have to impress for the remainder of this season to be on the short list - but it isn't a try out in the sence of "you do good you're automatically the guy".