Don't Expect A Quick Decision

MeanGreen61

UNT is finally in position to hire someone with skins on the wall as a head coach on the college level. There is no reason to rush through this and end up with the wrong guy again.

DRC Mean Green Blog

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/10/dont-expect-a-quick-decision.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

UNT is finally in position to hire someone with skins on the wall as a head coach on the college level. There is no reason to rush through this and end up with the wrong guy again.

DRC Mean Green Blog

http://meangreenblog...k-decision.html

I agree that this decision should not be rushed unless the guy we want/need to rebuild this program (ahem...cough...Jim Leavitt) is being seriously considered for another job. At that point, it may be too late for UNT.

And in a side note, here's something to think about: What about a Fran-and-Fran package? If UNT hired former TCU-Alabama-Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione, it could try to bring in Blinn College head coach Brad Franchione in as its assistant head coach/coach in waiting.

Head Coach in Waiting??? LOL, at UNT?? Now, that's funny. The HCIW is a relatively new phenomenon that's intended to keep a top assistant from looking elsewhere to become a HC. I know Jimbo Fisher was hired as HCIW at FSU, but he was basically interviewed as a HC when he was hired. Bobby Bowden had been the HC for what? 40+ years? Another HCIW is Will Muschamp at Texas. He's been considered for HC vacancies at several BCS programs over the last several years so the HCIW status was given to placate him at UT. Now, those are the only HCIW situations I can think of right now, but I'd imagine Penn State and a few others have them too. The point is none of the aforementioned situations even remotely resembles UNT right now. Why would we even consider naming a Head Coach in Waiting when we don't even have a Head Coach and our potential Head Coach in Waiting hasn't even had a HC interview at an FBS program?? Funny stuff!!!

Group: Members Posts: 11570 Joined: 20-July 02 Posted Today, 10:55 AM

And in a side note, here's something to think about: What about a Fran-and-Fran package? If UNT hired former TCU-Alabama-Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione, it could try to bring in Blinn College head coach Brad Franchione in as its assistant head coach/coach in waiting.

I think that an ingenous idea. Where the hell did you come up with that one anyway? :rolleyes:

UNT has never done anything in rush mode. In fact, as an alum who graduated in 1976, we seem to have usually been around 25 years behind the rest of those we used to say we wanted to be like or at at least at their level.

Stadium? No rush job on that one for damn sure--probably should have done that 25 years ago, too. In fact, that is the only thing Fry didn't do up there that he should have done IMHO--he certainly had the business contacts in Dallas from his 10 plus years at SMU and one or two of whom could have led the way in financing us a nice new stadium at 25% the cost we are spending now. Wonder what conference we would be in had that happened? I can tell you one we wouldn't be in.

UNT's true desire to be at the level of Texas Tech and University of Houston? We're pobably 25 years behind on that one, too. We not even close with Texas Tech and still have a ways to catch UH--not in enrollment either, but all the other things they have had long established such as a law school for starters?

No, we for sure won't rush into anything at UNT thats for our ultimate longterm good.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I don't know if the same rule applies in football , but in college basketball if a juco coach takes a DI gig his new school can not recruit anyone from his previous school for 2 years. So if we did get Fran Jr we couldnt tap into any pipelines from Blinn. Seeing that we will need to go the JUCO route yet again with this 1st recruiting class this may hurt a little. Blinn has always had some good JUCOs

LOL, yeah I thought the same thing when I read it, but I've gotten used to seeing things on the blog that originated on GMG.

I think some of best ideas from numerous of you (all eras, too) have unfortunately shown up on GMG.com which may become that ideas kiss of death. Just my .02 on that subject of which many of you have told me the same thing.

GMG!

Mark aka "TBA", I know we have this red number contest going and you're presently ahead of me, pal, but I'm going to do my best to pass you up soon. Stay tuned! :blink::)

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen