Does Hiring A "name" Hc

eulesseagle

For every yes there are probably two or three nos.

any thoughts?

No, a named coach does not guarantee a successful program. But a named coach does a few great things for a program like North Texas. First a Named Coach is exponentially more likely to be successful then a coach who has never done it, second and more importantly to a program like ours is a Named Coach can create a buzz that attracts great Assistant coaches, great recruits, sponsors, donors, and could double our home game attendance. Guys like Leach and Leavitt could make SOLD OUT a common event at North Texas. I know several Texas Tech fans that have already told me they would buy tickets to see Leach coach again, but more importantly a Leach or Leavitt team would bring out a fan base that UNT has never enjoyed. These kind of guys need to be considered as an investment, they can get us to the next level and we should get a return on investment 10-15 to 1 on this kind of hire. I do believe UNT really is a Sleeping Giant.

• Upvote 6

No, a named coach does not guarantee a successful program. But a named coach does a few great things for a program like North Texas. First a Named Coach is exponentially more likely to be successful then a coach who has never done it, second and more importantly to a program like ours is a Named Coach can create a buzz that attracts great Assistant coaches, great recruits, sponsors, donors, and could double our home game attendance. Guys like Leach and Leavitt could make SOLD OUT a common event at North Texas. I know several Texas Tech fans that have already told me they would buy tickets to see Leach coach again, but more importantly a Leach or Leavitt team would bring out a fan base that UNT has never enjoyed. These kind of guys need to be considered as an investment, they can get us to the next level and we should get a return on investment 10-15 to 1 on this kind of hire. I do believe UNT really is a Sleeping Giant.

Buzz? I like that word.

GMG!

PS: Mark, am I going to have to load you down with more pizza maybe some beer, too, and then get you a tad inebriated to change your philosophy on a few things? LOL!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Can we define 'name coach?' I think Mike Leach would be in that group but not Leavitt. Your average college football fan has no idea who Jim Leavitt is.

I think the average college football fan has a good idea who Jim Leavitt is, and if we hired Leavitt the media would fill in the gaps for the average person. But yes there are other names I am sure Fran would cause some the same.

• Upvote 2

Someone thought that the name Todd Dodge would be a difference maker for our program. :rolleyes:

Yep, Todd had name ID in this area alright. The difference is that the other "name" candidates earned their reputation at the FBS level.

There's no guarantee that they can repeat it here but I like the odds much better.

Let me ask someone who might know the answer to your question, eulesseagle.

nostradamus.jpg

I heard Nostradamus wrote the following in 1554:

And it will be, on the 4th day of the 12th month of the 10th year of the 3rd Millennia that a University in the New World in the northern parts of a territory named Tejas shall appoint a man to the position of Chief oblong stitched ball manager. His name will be very familiar to the alumni of the University, and his name will remind the masses of a great oblong stitched ball family who play at a University in the western parts of the Tejas territory. His name: Michaelangelo Leachus.

Also, Go Mean Green!

Amazing! I wonder who he was talking about?

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

For every yes there are probably two or three nos.

any thoughts?

Well I would rather take my chances on a name head coach than a no name. And we know there had to be a change anyways because the guy who was previously in charge couldn't get her done. So we might as well make the best of it and try to hire a guy that has the potential of doing good things to the program...like get back to even Sunbelt Conference respectability.