Mack Brown Reveals His Approach To Coaching...

...or, is he just confirming what many have believed all along? After the loss to Iowa State, Mack had this to say:

"I'm the CEO who's responsible for it," Brown said. "[but] I expect Greg Davis to run the offense and get his coaches to get their players ready to play. I expect Will Muschamp to run the defense and get his players, get his coaches to get the guys ready to play ... I tell them all the time, 'Get it fixed.' That's their job." :blink:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5727226&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

Sounds like his job is to just show up with everything all ready to go. Maybe he does just stand on the sideline and clap.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I also saw the quote in speaking with his assistants Will Muschamp and Greg Davis today in the paper to be; "I told them if one of your guys is playing bad, I can change them, if three of your guys are playing bad, I can change you".

THAT is how a CEO-type coach does it. Pick the best assistant's you can, let them do their job...if they don't hold them accountable. I like it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yes, I also saw the quote in speaking with his assistants Will Muschamp and Greg Davis today in the paper to be; "I told them if one of your guys is playing bad, I can change them, if three of your guys are playing bad, I can change you".

THAT is how a CEO-type coach does it. Pick the best assistant's you can, let them do their job...if they don't hold them accountable. I like it!

It's the way every successful coach from HS on up does it. It's the assistant's job to do the hands-on coaching day to day. It's the HC's job to oversee those coaches and make sure they are carrying out the plan and teaching effectively. It's not his job to do the assistant's job, any more than it's the assistant's job to be the HC.

Either the OC is the OC, or he's not. The DC is the DC or he's not. The RB coach is or isn't the RB coach. Not the HC's job to take on those roles.

• Upvote 1

It's the way every successful coach from HS on up does it. It's the assistant's job to do the hands-on coaching day to day. It's the HC's job to oversee those coaches and make sure they are carrying out the plan and teaching effectively. It's not his job to do the assistant's job, any more than it's the assistant's job to be the HC.

Either the OC is the OC, or he's not. The DC is the DC or he's not. The RB coach is or isn't the RB coach. Not the HC's job to take on those roles.

Only partially agree, programs like UT were you can pay to have the very best assistants; this is the approach that works. For lower tier teams, the HC has to be a more hands on guy. It is common to have the hc be the de facto coach on one side of the ball. It is why Mack Brown would be a terrible coach at a place like NT. His main role is hiring and monitoring assistants, fund raising, and providing very general guidance. NT needs someone who does those things but also who can recruit and take a much bigger part in the developing of game plans and players. This doesn't mean the hc is out leading drills and coaching techniques but it does mean that he takes an active part in game planning, play calling, and recruiting. It is a fact that even if a lower tier team can afford a very capable hc that they will also have the same level of assistants.

• Upvote 2

A formerly successful name HFC would know this about assistants from the git-go.

If they hire a buddy, you can damn sure depend on that buddy knowing what the hell he is doing as an assistant coach or coordinator. Few would ever want to tell their buddy that they cost him his job.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

...or, is he just confirming what many have believed all along? After the loss to Iowa State, Mack had this to say:

"I'm the CEO who's responsible for it," Brown said. "[but] I expect Greg Davis to run the offense and get his coaches to get their players ready to play. I expect Will Muschamp to run the defense and get his players, get his coaches to get the guys ready to play ... I tell them all the time, 'Get it fixed.' That's their job." :blink:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5727226&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

Sounds like his job is to just show up with everything all ready to go. Maybe he does just stand on the sideline and clap.

I think he was just throwing his coaches under the bus... You don't spend $5M a year on a guy for him to pass the buck. I don't think I'd get far blaming my staff if my department was floundering.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This was difficult for TDodge to do. Only this season did he give up much of his offensive roles. He was a former college QB, innovator of the spread offense, and operating a summer camp for QBs. It was hard for him to give up calling plays and being quasi OC at the college level and just "oversee" the whole program as head coach.

This was difficult for TDodge to do. Only this season did he give up much of his offensive roles. He was a former college QB, innovator of the spread offense, and operating a summer camp for QBs. It was hard for him to give up calling plays and being quasi OC at the college level and just "oversee" the whole program as head coach.

Completely agree. Unfortunately, many here believe that the HC should be some sort of Jerry Jones type.

get m. brown and his shorthorns off this site------------THIS IS A UNT BOARD------who cares about m. brown and lee jackson------could not pass up the chance to take a hit toward jackson

• Upvote 3

I think he was just throwing his coaches under the bus... You don't spend $5M a year on a guy for him to pass the buck. I don't think I'd get far blaming my staff if my department was floundering.

The OC's "staff" and department is the offensive position coaches. The DC's "staff" and department is the defensive position coaches.

If the OC and DC aren't getting the fire going under some asses, then you better believe the HC needs to be lighting fires under the OC and DC.

Mack Brown sucks, and we've known for a long time that Greg Davis sucks. How do you have all that talent and perform the way they do?

I agree completley. Anyone who can only win 10 games for 11 straight years totaly blows. With all the talent they have they should totaly win every game every year. Since there is clearly no one in the whole universe who get the talent that they get by not doing anything or working hard or coaching good or any of that stuff (cuase the totally dont), they underacheive when they lose even one game. I dont know how they look at themselves in the mirror.....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I agree completley. Anyone who can only win 10 games for 11 straight years totaly blows. With all the talent they have they should totaly win every game every year. Since there is clearly no one in the whole universe who get the talent that they get by not doing anything or working hard or coaching good or any of that stuff (cuase the totally dont), they underacheive when they lose even one game. I dont know how they look at themselves in the mirror.....

Totally agree. Cuz they NEVER load up on cupcakes in the OOC, play in a conference within a light year of the SEC and dont have a bail bondsman and rotation of explanations on hand. All with the largest athletic budget in the country. Yep, UT is the very definition of doing more with less.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Totally agree. Cuz they NEVER load up on cupcakes in the OOC, play in a conference within a light year of the SEC and dont have a bail bondsman and rotation of explanations on hand. All with the largest athletic budget in the country. Yep, UT is the very definition of doing more with less.

You were at -2 (Can't understand why people won't listen to FACTS). I could only give you +1, but you deserve a +10 for speaking the TRUTH!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2