College Ball Blog

NT80

I think we should at least contact everyone including Leavitt, Leach, Bower, Fran and Carthel. Every candidate has positives and negatives and its RV's job to sort those out and get the best fit for the job at North Texas. Yes, our culture is unique, but every University has some unique aspects to its head coaching job. I think we have more unique problems and challenges than most.

Anyone who has never hired then wrong person has not done a lot of hiring. I think, but I'm not sure, those of us who have hired a number of people and then had to fire some are the ones here who are most critical of the all the candidates. I'm very critical as I don't want the university to make a mistake and then have to fire the person after giving them a few years. when I do the hiring, I find every possible negative about a candidate and weigh those against the positives and I always can find a greater number of negatives and risks.

FFR wrote in another thread his belief based on information he had that RV was disappointed over the reaction on this board to Bower. I really hope RV isn't waiting for a candidate the gets majority approval on this board as we are a VERY independent minded bunch. We will pick apart every candidate. Other than winning, we don't agree on much. If we had to vote to go to the bathroom I think we'd just pee in our pants!

RV has four weeks till the end of our season and six till the auto-qualifiers finish their seasons. I hope he takes at least three to carefully evaluate everyone. And he can gauge overall popularity here, but I hope he does not expect any kind of consensus!

• Upvote 2

I think we should at least contact everyone including Leavitt, Leach, Bower, Fran and Carthel. Every candidate has positives and negatives and its RV's job to sort those out and get the best fit for the job at North Texas. Yes, our culture is unique, but every University has some unique aspects to its head coaching job. I think we have more unique problems and challenges than most.

Anyone who has never hired then wrong person has not done a lot of hiring. I think, but I'm not sure, those of us who have hired a number of people and then had to fire some are the ones here who are most critical of the all the candidates. I'm very critical as I don't want the university to make a mistake and then have to fire the person after giving them a few years. when I do the hiring, I find every possible negative about a candidate and weigh those against the positives and I always can find a greater number of negatives and risks.

FFR wrote in another thread his belief based on information he had that RV was disappointed over the reaction on this board to Bower. I really hope RV isn't waiting for a candidate the gets majority approval on this board as we are a VERY independent minded bunch. We will pick apart every candidate. Other than winning, we don't agree on much. If we had to vote to go to the bathroom I think we'd just pee in our pants! RV has four weeks till the end of our season and six till the auto-qualifiers finish their seasons. I hope he takes at least three to carefully evaluate everyone. And he can gauge overall popularity here, but I hope he does not expect any kind of consensus!

And with that quote sir, you have just made my wife's day. As a TWU grad, and someone who has observed NT and it's VERY ODD fans for years......she couldn't agree more.

The guy has a very low perception of North Texas, and with this quote about Leavitt has no idea what Leavitt went through at USF and what NT offers now.

They need to know that he has the energy and commitment to do what is essentially another job of rebuilding from scratch.

In his first season they won 5 games. In his second they won 8. While still coaching out of trailers for offices 4 years later they came to Denton and beat us 28-10. The next year they again beat one of our best teams we ever had and finished 9-2 on the season, qualified for a bowl but sat home watching us play in New Orleans.

Rick

- Tony Franklin – Hiring Franklin, Louisiana Tech’s offensive coordinator, would be taking a real chance. But he would offer some of the same things that Leach would offer, in terms of being able to take advantage of what Texas recruits do best. Whether he can be a head coach up to Leach’s standards is a completely open question, however. In essence, he would be the poor man’s riskier alternative to Mike Leach. North Texas is a “poor man,” so maybe it needs to consider another roll of the dice. At least this guy isn’t coming straight from high school like the last guy.

This blogger has no credibility whatsoever.