Shabby As It Gets

DeepGreen

Bob West, Port Arthur News Sunday Sports Column

"For North Texas to fire Todd Dodge in the middle of a season in which injuries have taken out 14 players, including three quarterbacks, was about as shabby as it gets. Rarely do college football coaches get fired in October. This looks especially rotten since UNT’s next game is against a very beatable Western Kentucky team that was winless going into Saturday’s game against Louisiana-Lafayette. Dodge, meanwhile, won’t be unemployed long and he’ll have some interesting choices. Don’t be shocked if one of those is at the University of Texas . . . There was, by the way, some good news coming out of North Texas last week. Nederland ex Micah Mosley, whose career at UNT has been hampered by injuries, expects to make his 2010 debut in that Western Kentucky game. Mosley, a senior running back/H back, was being penciled in for extensive playing time before a pre-season foot injury put him on the shelf. One of his goals had been to get well in time to help Dodge save his job. How ironic that his return will be in the first game back after the coach who recruited him was dismissed."

Bob, a 6-37 record is about as shabby as it gets.

And my favorite... Rarely do college football coaches get fired in October. Really, Bob?

Under the circumstances, I'm not sure how the guy sees WKU as "very" beatable. My expectations for this year are just for our players to play hard and represent the university well. Even before the turmoil of the Dodge firing, we probably were not going to win another game. It is just something that had to be done when a coach reaches 6-37. At any other school he would have been done at 5-31.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

"For North Texas to fire Todd Dodge in the middle of a season in which injuries have taken out 14 players, including three quarterbacks, was about as shabby as it gets. Rarely do college football coaches get fired in October. This looks especially rotten since UNT’s next game is against a very beatable Western Kentucky team that was winless going into Saturday’s game against Louisiana-Lafayette. Dodge, meanwhile, won’t be unemployed long and he’ll have some interesting choices. Don’t be shocked if one of those is at the University of Texas . . . There was, by the way, some good news coming out of North Texas last week. Nederland ex Micah Mosley, whose career at UNT has been hampered by injuries, expects to make his 2010 debut in that Western Kentucky game. Mosley, a senior running back/H back, was being penciled in for extensive playing time before a pre-season foot injury put him on the shelf. One of his goals had been to get well in time to help Dodge save his job. How ironic that his return will be in the first game back after the coach who recruited him was dismissed."

And my favorite... Rarely do college football coaches get fired in October. Really, Bob?

He doesn't really give the whole story, does he? UNT is the bad guy, and poor Dodge was just the victim.

Under the circumstances, I'm not sure how the guy sees WKU as "very" beatable. My expectations for this year are just for our players to play hard and represent the university well. Even before the turmoil of the Dodge firing, we probably were not going to win another game. It is just something that had to be done when a coach reaches 6-37. At any other school he would have been done at 5-31.

I don't consider WKU to be very beatable. They tore ULL apart, and we weren't able to beat ULL. There is not a lot of hope against WKU for me.

Guess he missed Brewster getting the ax at Minnesota

• Upvote 1

West is a Golden Triangle homer that gave NT great coverage when Dodge was hired and has supported him through the ordeal. Heard even more of this when Dickey was fired with all his success and late ailments when at NT. I like Dodge and was never fond of Dickey, but both men were in hind sight terminated too late not too early. It is easy to opine over some perceived wrong when it is not your program involved.