Forest Robinson

good_ken

Sweet! What a recruiting year this has been. I seem to recall that we always get recruit last minutes in the spring. Am I remember this right? We have 5 quality recruits committed later summer early fall. Nice! Next year will be an exciting year as ever for the Mean Green.

How many ships left? When are we gonna snag a big man?

We should have 3 scholly's left. I would think that he qualifies as a big man at 6'10". He is going to need to play the 4 or 5 primarily and not the 3. I am assuming Jordan WIlliams will play the 3. I would like to see a true Center and a couple of wing players added to the class.

How many ships left? When are we gonna snag a big man?

Now that we've got Robinson, it's not totally out of the question that we might use the 3 remaining ships on perimeter players.

As CBL pointed out elsewhere, we've got post players returning. Holmen and Knox (2 years of eligibility), Hogans and Edwards (1 year of eligibility), and now Robinson (4 years) makes 5 scholarship post players out of a possible 13. I think we'll get one more, and who we go after will depend on what Knox shows this season in practice and limited game minutes.

If Knox shows that he can play a role next year, I think we'll try to get another HS big man and develop him with Robinson. If Knox can't, then we need a JUCO or a midyear transfer who can step into the rotation next season.

The other two ships will go to perimeter guys. Since we don't need to emphasize a point guard with Jones and Norris aboard and Alzee returning, we can just go out and get a pure scorer. Ideally, one with some size like Tristan or Jordan Williams.

The "perimeter scorer with size" should have been RJ McGhee.

That one still stings. Still, better to find out he's not going to cut it academically after a week rather than losing him at midyear when we've been planning on his availability all year.

I wish that guy could have stuck around.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1

Losing RJ, we didn't lose too much. I like the kid, and he looks great at Paris, but he was not D1 ready right now. Will he be? Yes, in my opinion. I watched him play open gym with UNT and with Paris, and they are too totally different kids. Confidence is huge in order to be successful, and he didn't have it here. I think JuCo will do him wonders.

Assuming all the commits are signed. NT will have the following squad:

Edwards 6'7 Sr

Hogans 6'7 Sr

Knox 6'10 Jr

Holmen 6'8 Jr

Robinson 6'9 F

Post/Wing

Williams 6'6 F

Combos

A. Williams 6'4 Jr

Jones 6'2 F

Walton 6'2 Jr

Point

Norris 5'10 F

I think NT can afford to be very selective with their other 3 ships. They need another wing for next year but other then that unless they can get some super prospects, one or two transfers might be a good strategy. I would like to see a big man like Wooden sitting on the bench a year waiting to replace Hogans and Edwards.

Losing RJ, we didn't lose too much. I like the kid, and he looks great at Paris, but he was not D1 ready right now. Will he be? Yes, in my opinion. I watched him play open gym with UNT and with Paris, and they are too totally different kids. Confidence is huge in order to be successful, and he didn't have it here. I think JuCo will do him wonders.

So in a matter of 4 weeks you think he improved ? I saw him too in open gym and I gotta disagree that yes we did lose something. Was he going to contribute huge minutes this year ? Probably not , but we didn't need him to this season. We lost something for next year when we lose a lot to graduation. He will be a very good DI player when he is ready and gets things worked out.

Is that Alex English Jr I see on Paris' roster ?

Edited by NT03

Assuming all the commits are signed. NT will have the following squad:

Edwards 6'7 Sr

Hogans 6'7 Sr

Knox 6'10 Jr

Holmen 6'8 Jr

Robinson 6'9 F

Post/Wing

Williams 6'6 F

Combos

A. Williams 6'4 Jr

Jones 6'2 F

Walton 6'2 Jr

Point

Norris 5'10 F

I think NT can afford to be very selective with their other 3 ships. They need another wing for next year but other then that unless they can get some super prospects, one or two transfers might be a good strategy. I would like to see a big man like Wooden sitting on the bench a year waiting to replace Hogans and Edwards.

I don't think Williams is ever going to play post. He looks like a straight 3 to me. If we go with a 1 in 4 out configuration somewhere down the line, like what WKU does or what SMU is apparently planning on doing, he could conceivably guard a post from another team... But he looks very skinny and I don't ever see him banging around in the paint as a regular part of his game.

If we can't get the transfers at midyear, I'd rather we go with someone who won't have to sit out a full season. I don't want to see us take a straight rebuilding year, and with so many freshmen coming in I don't know if we can afford to have two (or even one) guys sitting out for an entire season.

Also, totally agree with 03 about how nice it would have been for McGhee to spend a developmental year on our roster. Even if the guy wasn't quite ready to play at this level yet, it would have been nice to either redshirt him or break him in like what we saw JJ do with Alzee last season.

So in a matter of 4 weeks you think he improved ? I saw him too in open gym and I gotta disagree that yes we did lose something. Was he going to contribute huge minutes this year ? Probably not , but we didn't need him to this season. We lost something for next year when we lose a lot to graduation. He will be a very good DI player when he is ready and gets things worked out.

Is that Alex English Jr I see on Paris' roster ?

Yes, I think he is improving. I think confidence is HUGE to be able to play this game. He is a lot more confident now, and that will only help him in the long run. He is still getting a year of development, but he gets to play during that year. Coach Taylor, product of Coach Foy, is going to help this kid out tremendously! So instead of him riding the bench, he can go be confident and play.

Yes, that's AJ on the roster at Paris