Why Mike Leach To North Texas Could Work

Harry

Mr. Graham makes a very good case! Good article, and it makes sense.

I wasn't, that big of a Leach fan, but I may have just changed my mind. Imagine the buzz around that hire (some good, some bad), not to mention the recruits and opening game in the new stadium. With SMU making strides in football, we need a hire like this to squash their pride and win over the metroplex. Think about what RV said about the home team campaign....Leach would definitely help with this.

According to a blurb in the DMN this morning, Leach said that he hasn't been contacted by North Texas. Although he didn't come right out and say it one would get the impression that he's not interested. He was quoted as saying something to the effect that at some point he would return to coaching for the right opportunity. I don't think that we are that opportunity.

According to a blurb in the DMN this morning, Leach said that he hasn't been contacted by North Texas. Although he didn't come right out and say it one would get the impression that he's not interested. He was quoted as saying something to the effect that at some point he would return to coaching for the right opportunity. I don't think that we are that opportunity.

From this article I get the impression he hasn't been contacted.

I get he impression he hasn't been contacted.

This brings me to a point that I have wondered about since the hiring process started with Todd Dodge. And that is "who makes the first move?". Because if a coach wants the opportunity to move up and/or seek the next "big challenge" is he limited to "waiting by the phone" before proceeding futher?

The on-line job posting is what got me thinking about it. Because if Leach WAS interested in the job wouldn't it make sense that he could/would just go on-line and pull up the application (he used to work for a state university, so he should know that there is a posting) and then send it in?

If the University is going to officially post this job, aren't they obligated to pre-screen ALL viable applicants before they interview someone? AND more to the point, isn't calling/contacting someone to apply for the job essentially "pre-selection?". In which case, you have violated state rules about the job application process.

So far, this whole process (reporters calling possible applicants etc) looks like something out of the gossip page of some newspaper.

We (the alumni and current students) deserve a better and more thoughtful process than what I've been observing so far.

Edited by SilverEagle

From the blog comments:

i would love it if mike leach came to denton...i live in the area, and would so become a UNT fan...i don't think it would happen though

THIS is what is most important. The city of Denton would come to see Mike Leach coach this team. They won't come out to see another no-name.

I think hiring Leach is a no-brainer, but it's more about egos and money than anything else. For those reasons alone, I don't think it will happen.

As to who makes the first move about coaching vacancies, I think it's a case-by-case basis and greatly varies from one coach to the next. Neither side wants to publicize possible rejection.

With Leach, I just think it boils down to money. I think we won't be be close to his range. My guess is his next job will start at 1.5 million in base salary plus performance incentives etc. However if it is a school like Minnesota, Colorado etc that really want to make a splash and are dying to get back to national relevance they will probably money whip Leach even more and wouldn't be surprised if his base salary started at 2 million. While I would bring Leach here without any hesitation, I just think we are way off his range for money.

Who cares about who is supposed to contact who. RV should have already gauged Leach"s interest. Not doing so is. In my opinion, failing to do your job as an AD. RV, if you are reading the board, get on the damn phone with leach. Maybe he doesn't want to come here, isn't the right fit, or we can't afford him, BUT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU TALK TO HIM!!!

I realize we r early in the process, but a get familiar call should have already been made

• Upvote 5

"North Texas could quickly become an interesting weekday TV game, a bowl contender, and ultimately could become an appealing team for another conference if conference expansion talks resurface."

http://collegesports...ch-to-nort.html

If you could pay him...and he would sign up...he would win and would bring a HUGE spotlight on UNT....even at a national level. When you look at what he did for Tech...I can't help but feel he would move this program up fast...he would bring a huge following and UNT might very well have to start thinking stadium expansion in just a few short years! He could bring money and excitement to UNT just like he did at Tech.

• Upvote 2

Really, one article and everyone goes gaga over Mike Leach? What changed in one day? Sorry, just my opinion...Mike Leach would be bad for UNT's next head coach. It's an opinion, and one shared by others, but I know from this board that there are Leach supporters as well. Let the hiring process begin!

How many millions was Leach being paid at Tech? How much did Dodge make? Simple math question...how much of a difference?

• Downvote 2

With Leach, I just think it boils down to money. I think we won't be be close to his range. ... <snip> ... I just think we are way off his range for money.

Filling our stadium 6 games a year would go a long way to getting in range wouldn't it?

Keith

• Upvote 2

Filling our stadium 6 games a year would go a long way to getting in range wouldn't it?

Keith

I don't disagree with you. However we need to have about 3 million dollars sitting in the bank to pay him right when we hire him. Look I would bring Leach here in a heartbeat but I don't think the program is in a position to fund the contract even for the first year without the alumni donating at least 50-75% of it. If the finances were totally there then I don't have any doubt that we would have gone after a huge name coach and Dodge would have been fired after year 2 or 3 but finances is an issue whether we like it or not.

Really, one article and everyone goes gaga over Mike Leach? What changed in one day? Sorry, just my opinion...Mike Leach would be bad for UNT's next head coach. It's an opinion, and one shared by others, but I know from this board that there are Leach supporters as well. Let the hiring process begin!

How many millions was Leach being paid at Tech? How much did Dodge make? Simple math question...how much of a difference?

KRAM, I don't think anything has really changed, other than the idea seems a little more realistic to some people now because the thought has been validated by a professional reporter at a credible and respected news outlet. I agree that with Leach comes a lot of potential problems, but I also think that his pros far outweigh his cons. He's loved by the overwhelming majority of the Texas Tech fan base and most of them wish he was still at Tech. Leach has an undeniable notoriety but he would instantly infuse excitement and success into UNT football. Even if Leach came to UNT, I don't think he'd be here for any more than about three years.

Folks, we are creating deep gutted laughter with many of our other Texas intercollegiate peers with this Leach talk.

I know most of us have skin tougher than a 20 year old igauana, but we are still getting some of those knee slapping "yeah rights" from many outside our community. If a few of you didn't know this--thought you might want to.

Proceed with the procedure of the proceedings. :blink:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2