What Will We Pay Our Next Head Coach ?

MeanGreen61

The University has a facility that can more than generate the funds necessary to pay a head coach 600K and an aggregate assistant budget of 1 mil. This is simple math - you get what you pay for. If the right guy is hired they will sell more mean green club, suites, club level and season tickets. Or they can use the Sun Belt average comp (ie go on the cheap) and hope like they have for way too long. I think the stadium forces their hand this time around. I get so tired of hearing the "we need more donors to get serious". We're not going to get major donors interested until the University sees fit to make a financial commitment to winning.

A GOLD star for Harry...I would hope we will pay a min of 500K...otherwise, it will be just pure luck what you get...probably need to pay 700K +. If they don't pay "the going rate" for top talent, then they will fail to move this program forward. UNT should really be in the boat with the likes of TTech, OSU, K state, etc (based on school size, etc ) but we are in the boat with WKU and LaMonroe, et al because we never made a committment to football, changed the culture, rec'd a bid to a major conference, etc....now is the time to make our move, our statement and change our culture as it relates to football and school spirit...better conference, etc...well could be too late, just have to see. We do truely have the size, location and now facilities to move to a whole new level if we do the right things....lets start with a quality HC pick.

Exactly! This is why you see donors like greenjoe and Kram constantly reminding and asking that people here get on board and donate to the Mean Green Club and Stadium.

Rick

The problem is KRAM and Greenjoe aren't members of the athletic department. They are the ones that should be contacting EVERY MGC member and making this request.

Got a call lately? I haven't.

Here is the list of the Sunbelt Conference and current salaries

Sunbelt Salaries

According to my statistical calculations

nerd.jpg

At 600k a year we would be 200k over the next highest paid coach (Mario Cristobal at FIU)

I see no reason why we can't get a solid coach at 500k or less....

The last coaching jobs that Fran applied for was at UNLV (350k before incentives with up to 450k a year) and before UNLV there was SDSU where Holke currently makes 675k.

Edited by All About UNT

Here is the list of the Sunbelt Conference and current salaries

Sunbelt Salaries

According to my statistical calculations

nerd.jpg

At 600k a year we would be 200k over the next highest paid coach (Mario Cristobal at FIU)

I see no reason why we can't get a solid coach at 500k or less....

The last coaching jobs that Fran applied for was at UNLV (350k before incentives with up to 450k a year) and before UNLV there was SDSU where Holke currently makes 675k.

We need to set our own course and cease using what others do in the Belt as a barometer. We need to forget the herd mentality and become a true leader.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I think a better question is what will we be able/willing to pay the new coach's staff. In my opinion this is just as important as the coach. Paying the hc a big salary is pointless if we can't pay to have a good staff at his disposal. We need to increase coaching salaries across the board for this next hire to work.

• Upvote 1

The University has a facility that can more than generate the funds necessary to pay a head coach 600K and an aggregate assistant budget of 1 mil. This is simple math - you get what you pay for. If the right guy is hired they will sell more mean green club, suites, club level and season tickets. Or they can use the Sun Belt average comp (ie go on the cheap) and hope like they have for way too long. I think the stadium forces their hand this time around. I get so tired of hearing the "we need more donors to get serious". We're not going to get major donors interested until the University sees fit to make a financial commitment to winning.

Best post I have read on this subject. Show us that the university is committed fully and the rest will take care of itself. It really isn't rocket science. Both TCU and SMU have shown this to be true, so we should not be any different.

And, we'll keep screaming no more local heroes with no track record of winning at this level. Applewhite can't even get the Longhorn run game in order. We sure don't need him here.

And, Todd Dodge was supposedly a big name in Texas as well. But, recruits didn't care.

We hire a guy like Applewhite and we signal that we aren't serious about winning. This school can no longer be treated like an experiment. Applewhite and any other position coach without coordinator or head coaching experience should not even be in the mix.

I agree, and I'll take it a step further. I'm tired of the word potential. I don't want us taking some position coach because he has the potential to be a good FBS coach someday. I want a coach that has made some noise in FBS football. Someone the recruits have heard of and can get excited about playing for. I'm tired of us being that school with potential. This is the time for us to change that, but we need a quality name coach, who has been a winner at the FBS level to go along with our stadium.

As a person I liked and respected Dodge, but his coaching set our on the field performance back at least 4 years. Maybe longer, depending on how long it takes the new coach to install players that fit his system. We can't afford another bad hire, or a decade of North Texas football will be irrelevant, and we will remain a program with potential.

I agree, and I'll take it a step further. I'm tired of the word potential. I don't want us taking some position coach because he has the potential to be a good FBS coach someday. I want a coach that has made some noise in FBS football. Someone the recruits have heard of and can get excited about playing for. I'm tired of us being that school with potential. This is the time for us to change that, but we need a quality name coach, who has been a winner at the FBS level to go along with our stadium.

As a person I liked and respected Dodge, but his coaching set our on the field performance back at least 4 years. Maybe longer, depending on how long it takes the new coach to install players that fit his system. We can't afford another bad hire, or a decade of North Texas football will be irrelevant, and we will remain a program with potential.

If we make another bad hire, this place will become like Eastern Michigan...on the verge of extinction.

This is the hire that will make or break us as an FBS school. Super conferences are coming and schools like Oklahoma and Texas are willing to throw the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State, and Baylor overboard. We'd for sure be left in the dust.

The time for hiring a guy and hoping he pans out is over. Hire a guy who already has a record of panning out and let's survive the coming wave.