What Will We Pay Our Next Head Coach ?

MeanGreen61

Maybe I am a conspiracy theorist but doesn't the athletics fee kick in next season? Could that have something to do with keeping dodge another season? Won't we have a bit mire of a budget in the coming years thanks to the athletics fee?

I could be wrong...

I am hoping to see a salary of $500,000 at least with ambitious but achievable incentive bonuses.

Guest MeanGreenHomer

I'm going to scream it from the rooftops, Major Applewhite only makes $250,000 now and would be the perfect. A big name in Texas that would help with recruiting and he will utilize Dunbar and Byrd in the years to come.

• Downvote 4

No rocket scientry here, but it depends on who we hire on the salary part. Up and comer? Not as much... Name Coach? Get out the check book.

I've heard there may be a Big Donor who might underwrite a very, very large salary if we get a truly name coach. Don't know how much validity there is with that one, though.

Norm Hitzghes was wrong today on The Ticket because UNT when it puts its money people together can pay for a name coach.

Hey Rick V! Make sure ol' Stormin' "Father Time" Norman Hitzghes and all the DFW media types get a royal party at our new football palace upon completion, but I'd bet you already had that idea in your sights, too. :thumbsup:

GMG!

I'm going to scream it from the rooftops, Major Applewhite only makes $250,000 now and would be the perfect. A big name in Texas that would help with recruiting and he will utilize Dunbar and Byrd in the years to come.

Needs a few more years as an assistant under his belt, and we should have somebody who has at least been a coordinator. The kids he would be recruiting don't remember him from his playing days. Don't misunderstand, he has a lot of upside and a great future, just not the man for this job at this time.

*Forgot about his stint as a coordinator at Alabama and Rice when I wrote this. Sorry!

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

$150K base plus $75K per win. Assuming 4 wins the first year, that's $450K with just over $1 million potential for running the table later on. (radio stipends, courtesy car, bowl appearance/win, conference champions, top 25 ranking, et al would be additional incentives.)

Somebody pointed out to me that Dodge's contract was laden with incentives, but when I looked it over, they weren't really realistic incentives. I remarked that you could write it into my contract that I get a million dollar bonus for securing (insert monster multi-billion dollar corporate client name), but it wouldn't affect my day-to-day performance one bit.

I like Major Applewhite and there I think he will be a fine head coach someday but in our current situation we can't afford to take that risk. Sorry I just don't think he is ready quite yet or better yet we are ready to take on that level of risk.

I migrate back and forth between proven commodity and up and coming / young and hungry. Leach, Leavitt, Kraigthorpe, Bowden etc are proven commodities, meaning they have taken a program off the ground and moved them to a highrise. I thought Norm made some good points on the ticket today about UNT hiring a Chris Peterson (BSU) type of guy. No one had a clue of who Peterson was, but he was hungry to achieve success and he turned that program into a consistent BCS contender year in year out. Kevin Sumlin is another example of this even though he had more credentials perhaps than did Petersen. It's an interesting dilemma for us to consider.

And, we'll keep screaming no more local heroes with no track record of winning at this level. Applewhite can't even get the Longhorn run game in order. We sure don't need him here.

And, Todd Dodge was supposedly a big name in Texas as well. But, recruits didn't care.

We hire a guy like Applewhite and we signal that we aren't serious about winning. This school can no longer be treated like an experiment. Applewhite and any other position coach without coordinator or head coaching experience should not even be in the mix.

• Upvote 5

Guest MeanGreenHomer

Needs a few more years as an assistant under his belt, and we should have somebody who has at least been a coordinator. The kids he would be recruiting don't remember him from his playing days. Don't misunderstand, he has a lot of upside and a great future, just not the man for this job at this time.

Applewhite was an offensive coordinator at Rice and at Alabama.

• Upvote 1

And, we'll keep screaming no more local heroes with no track record of winning at this level. Applewhite can't even get the Longhorn run game in order. We sure don't need him here.

And, Todd Dodge was supposedly a big name in Texas as well. But, recruits didn't care.

We hire a guy like Applewhite and we signal that we aren't serious about winning. This school can no longer be treated like an experiment. Applewhite and any other position coach without coordinator or head coaching experience should not even be in the mix.

Agree with this. We need an experienced college head coach coming in here that can put a playbook together quickly, hire a quality experienced college staff, and knows college recruiting. Enough with the on-the-job-training.

• Upvote 1

Agree with this. We need an experienced college head coach coming in here that can put a playbook together quickly, hire a quality experienced college staff, and knows college recruiting. Enough with the on-the-job-training.

Honestly, I don't understand how Dodge was allowed to bring his entire HS staff with him to UNT. Was a potential coaching staff not discussed in his interview? If so, was RV not the slightest bit concerned with bringing a HS staff to UNT? I know I was...you can pull up my posts from 2006. I bit my tongue as much as I could when Dodge was being discussed for HC but I really felt it was doomed when I learned who he was bringing with him. The comments from OU's coaching staff (which were discussed in OU's recent thread about Dodge's firing) only served to confirm my worst fears.

It's all moot now, but it's one of those things that has me scratching my head and more than a bit worried about who our next HC will be.

Everyone wants a big name coach but it’s going to be extremely difficult without the funds.

I think most of the people on this board want to go to CUSA.

However, the average CUSA salary is approx $755K according to these figures http://www.nola.com/tulane/images/TULANEGX.pdf and approx $772K according to these http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-coaches-contracts-database.htm

Further, the you will note that the programs at the top of the conference are the ones paying the salaries 750K or above.

If the university is prepared to pay 600K that’s great and would be a big improvement from our current situation. However, I seriously doubt the university (without the help of donors) has the cash to pay a salary in the 750K.

The fact is we need donors if we want to get serious.

I’m not saying we can’t get a Bower or someone similar for less than 750K but to be competitive long term we need to be with the rest of the pack at 750K or greater.

Then let them hire him.

Alabama lost to Mississippi State and ULM in 2007 with Applewhite calling the shots.

He hasn't done anything with the Texas running backs since he returned to Austin.

No position coaches. Major Applewhite is a position coach. Our school isn't a stepping stone for offensive coordinators who can't put more than 14 points on ULM while coaching at Alabama. Or, who can't get a roster with 4- and 5-star running backs to perform.

If he's on the list, our list is bad and should be trashed.

• Upvote 1

Everyone wants a big name coach but it's going to be extremely difficult without the funds.

I think most of the people on this board want to go to CUSA.

However, the average CUSA salary is approx $755K according to these figures http://www.nola.com/...es/TULANEGX.pdf and approx $772K according to these http://www.usatoday....ts-database.htm

Further, the you will note that the programs at the top of the conference are the ones paying the salaries 750K or above.

If the university is prepared to pay 600K that's great and would be a big improvement from our current situation. However, I seriously doubt the university (without the help of donors) has the cash to pay a salary in the 750K.

The fact is we need donors if we want to get serious.

I'm not saying we can't get a Bower or someone similar for less than 750K but to be competitive long term we need to be with the rest of the pack at 750K or greater.

The University has a facility that can more than generate the funds necessary to pay a head coach 600K and an aggregate assistant budget of 1 mil. This is simple math - you get what you pay for. If the right guy is hired they will sell more mean green club, suites, club level and season tickets. Or they can use the Sun Belt average comp (ie go on the cheap) and hope like they have for way too long. I think the stadium forces their hand this time around. I get so tired of hearing the "we need more donors to get serious". We're not going to get major donors interested until the University sees fit to make a financial commitment to winning.

The University has a facility that can more than generate the funds necessary to pay a head coach 600K and an aggregate assistant budget of 1 mil. This is simple math - you get what you pay for. If the right guy is hired they will sell more mean green club, suites, club level and season tickets. Or they can use the Sun Belt average comp (ie go on the cheap) and hope like they have for way too long. I think the stadium forces their hand this time around. I get so tired of hearing the "we need more donors to get serious". We're not going to get major donors interested until the University sees fit to make a financial commitment to winning.

It’s pretty risky to finance a coach’s salary on the promise of generating money by filling the new stadium and/or selling corp suites. What happen’s if you hire a coach to a long term contract and you don’t win? I've never really bought into the old "if you build it they will come". Indeed, SMU opened Ford in 2000 and that didn't produce "butts in seats" until last year. Likewise, i must assume they didn't generate money off their suits for the last 8 years as they didn't get serious about paying for a coach until last year when donors came up with the money to land Jones.

In any event, think I’ve been taken a little out of context. What I’m saying is that everyone wants a big name coach. To really get a name coach we need to pony up a lot more than what we’re used to paying around here. My point is that everyone (not just big donors) should think about contributing to a fund that would help this effort. This is especially true of the people that clamor the loudest for a big name coach. It’s real easy to say I want this guy or that guy and then complain when a nobody is hired.

I honestly hope the the university can pay 500K a year. If so, all it would take is 1000 donors contributing $250 a year to come up with another 250K to get us to 750K. Is that too much to ask for a university of our size? That’s all I’m saying. If we get a 1000 people to commit pledges for 3 years and and we're able to sell the suites etc as you suggest then we can start saving and banking for the future.

It’s pretty risky to finance a coach’s salary on the promise of generating money by filling the new stadium and/or selling corp suites. What happen’s if you hire a coach to a long term contract and you don’t win? I've never really bought into the old "if you build it they will come". Indeed, SMU opened Ford in 2000 and that didn't produce "butts in seats" until last year. Likewise, i must assume they didn't generate money off their suits for the last 8 years as they didn't get serious about paying for a coach until last year when donors came up with the money to land Jones.

In any event, think I’ve been taken a little out of context. What I’m saying is that everyone wants a big name coach. To really get a name coach we need to pony up a lot more than what we’re used to paying around here. My point is that everyone (not just big donors) should think about contributing to a fund that would help this effort. This is especially true of the people that clamor the loudest for a big name coach. It’s real easy to say I want this guy or that guy and then complain when a nobody is hired.

I honestly hope the the university can pay 500K a year. If so, all it would take is 1000 donors contributing $250 a year to come up with another 250K to get us to 750K. Is that too much to ask for a university of our size? That’s all I’m saying. If we get a 1000 people to commit pledges for 3 years and and we're able to sell the suites etc as you suggest then we can start saving and banking for the future.

Exactly! This is why you see donors like greenjoe and Kram constantly reminding and asking that people here get on board and donate to the Mean Green Club and Stadium.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Forgot that. Typed without thinking, so duly noted and corrected! But what gets me is I have thought we needed a Texas forum on this board because of all the bashing of Texas. Yet our last coach had UT ties, and there were more than a few posts making negative light of that. Now, many are clamoring for Applewhite. What gives? What "way of doing things or system", with the exception of the $$$ resources to do some of it, do you think he is going to bring here?

Edited by Green Dozer

I actually don't have a problem with Applewhite to be honest but he would be down the list compared to other candidates. Had he stayed in Alabama and was learning under Saban then I would probably give him more points because I think Saban is an uber coach. But again I like Applewhite and think he will probably be a HC one day but I don't think it is the right time for him and right for us at this point.