Fans Of Other Schools Discussing Who Unt Should Hire

gangrene

This from a Texas fan at Hornfans.com: "Dodge's college coaching career mirrors his playing career. A high school hero that couldn't get it done at the college level"

Wow. And, some of you people think Dodge had a hard time pleasing the crowd here! He was booed in Austin as a player...and, apparently some still remember.

This job really is pretty insulated from tough press. I think that alone would be a selling point for a coach who has been at a school whose fans are overzealous to the point of hating on guys two and half decades after they played there.

Lord, the Texas fans are tough:

Check out this exchange between 'Horn posters:

1: "Darrell Dickey was a good football coach who brought home four straight Sun Belt conference titles and four straight bowl berths for UNT. His teams featured solid defense and a strong running game on offense. UNT doesn't know either of those concepts now.

UNT is reaping what it sowed for canning Dickey."

2: "Yup. New Mexico could do a lot worse than promoting Dickey to the HC job after they fire Mike Locksley. And believe me, given the train wreck that Locksley has been, they will fire him."

"Don Coryell is perhaps the greatest offensive mind in NFL history, and it's an outrage that he's not in the Hall of Fame.

Comparing Leach to Coryell is bad enough. When I see Todd Dodge mentioned in the same breath, I pissed myself with laughter."

Thought this was a funny post from the C-USA board regarding Gus Malzhan:

"Malzahn is credited with inventing the wildcat."

"This angers me. The wildcat is the single-wing, is the single-wing, is the single-wing. How could Malzahn have invented something that was around before he was born? The only thing Malzahn did was use it. He didn't even name the darn thing (Hugh Wyatt did that).

It is time to stop giving credit to Malzahn for something he didn't do.

Funny stuff. Funny what will drive people crazy.

Lord, the Texas fans are tough:

Check out this exchange between 'Horn posters:

1: "Darrell Dickey was a good football coach who brought home four straight Sun Belt conference titles and four straight bowl berths for UNT. His teams featured solid defense and a strong running game on offense. UNT doesn't know either of those concepts now.

UNT is reaping what it sowed for canning Dickey."

2: "Yup. New Mexico could do a lot worse than promoting Dickey to the HC job after they fire Mike Locksley. And believe me, given the train wreck that Locksley has been, they will fire him."

"Don Coryell is perhaps the greatest offensive mind in NFL history, and it's an outrage that he's not in the Hall of Fame.

Comparing Leach to Coryell is bad enough. When I see Todd Dodge mentioned in the same breath, I pissed myself with laughter."

Shows just how ignorant some of these posters are. I give DD all the credit for NT incredible run of conference wins but also all the blame for the fall of the program after that. DD apparently thought he was destined for bigger things not realizing that most programs didn't want a hc who was a public relations disaster and most of his success related to one inexplicably good recruiting class. HIs lazy recruiting and bad mouthing of the program finally cost him his job.

• Downvote 1

Shows just how ignorant some of these posters are. I give DD all the credit for NT incredible run of conference wins but also all the blame for the fall of the program after that. DD apparently thought he was destined for bigger things not realizing that most programs didn't want a hc who was a public relations disaster and most of his success related to one inexplicably good recruiting class. HIs lazy recruiting and bad mouthing of the program finally cost him his job.

I think it shows, though, how people across the college football spectrum view us. They see the four championship, and without knowing anything else, assume we are idiots for canning him. That's kind of what we're up against perception-wise to the college football world.

Rice board:

"Wonder what he is going to do next?

If we were looking at staff changes and he was interested, I'd hire him. He knows what he's doing, and just got into a really bad situation at UNT."

This is what the perception will be. And, it's why he'll get another job somewhere. People will continue to excuse his losing here on the school itself.

And, this goes to the heart of my desire that we hire a bona fide program builder. People don't take us seriously. They excuse coaches for losing here. The only way that stops is for us to hire a well know, veteran program builder.

We just can't gamble this time around. We need a builder to pick us up the way Bill Snyder picked up K-State a couple of decades ago. In fact, when K-State is here in November, we need to look at where that school is as our goal. No one, and I mean no one came from further down than K-State.

And, they've built and, for the most part, sustained what Snyder built for a span of about 20 years. That's real program building that K-State did.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

From the OU board...and to the point we've made for years about the high school staff Dodge brought along with him:

"Yeah, I remember Stoops saying after that game that our offensive players were coming back to the sidelines saying, "Coach, they're not even disguising their coverages!"

Sure made for an easy debut for Sam."

Look folks, it is what it is...if you worry about what others say on message boards, you will always be in a tizzy. The way we help change that reputation is to get involved and stop being so negative about our own school. When a lot of people do not think its own grads, students and fans respect and support the program, then what would you expect an outsider's attitude to be? If all I ever heard from TCU grads was how bad things were then why would I have any reason to think they were not all bad?

I am proud of being a UNT alum and I am proud of the way UNT is heading. UNT is not defined by its won-loss record in football even if some believe it is. Winning will come and when it does it will be oh so very sweet to those who have endured and remained in support of UNT through the tough times. Sure, there will be plenty of bandwagon fans jumping on board when the wins come...great...bring them on board...the more the merrier as some might just stay and actually become donors and ticket buyers.

You want other people and other schools to start respecting UNT? Then start by respecting it yourself and telling everyone you see that you are proud to wear Mean Green green and you are proud to be an alum/supporter, etc. of UNT. Let them say what they want around the water cooler at work and on message boards...have some fun with it and take it and give some smack back, Why not? You can always find something "fun" to say about any other school whose alums and fans are knocking your program.

Heck, I graduated from Oklahoma State as well as UNT, and don't for any second think we don't hear it from every OU fan as often as they can get one of us in ear shot. But, don't think for one minute that it has any impact on OSU alums and fans other than to fire them up for the next game against OU!

Respect yourself, respect your school and be proud. In some cases, people will stop knocking UNT in your presence when they find out you will stick up for UNT and be proud doing so.

That is all. Now, GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by KRAM1