Norm To Discuss Nt In Next Segment

UNTFan23

One of them just mentioned that Canales might be a good option. They keep saying "why are we not like Boise St??" "We have a ton of opportunity". Good and long discussion here with callers calling in too. They keep harping on finding a young up and coming coach that can build his career not someone who has been proven in the past (i.e. Fran and Leach). They also mentioned how Bower is too much of a gamble....that he may not be hungry enough for this position. Again...they keep saying young and hungry coach that can prove himself (like ACU's coach).

Great segment, Kudos to our good fan Green Guy Bass and our good fan Hunter Green who jumped in with a great call!!

Props to him on trying to explain where we've been the past decade and how far we've come in terms of facilities and support of the administration/BOR. We still have a long way to go though -- got to take baby steps! The person we hire will be vital in advancing the football program and maybe the entire department.

Edited by UNTFan23

Yet another DFW sports journalist without a clue about what UNT is really all about.

I wish I were surprised, but I'm not.

Honestly seeing all these "UNT people" on this board talking about having a chance to land a Leach and some others, Norm's points seemed alot more educated.

Not saying I agree with everything he said, but at least everything was based on truth and fact. As opposed to here where "Who will be the next coach" poll is being lead by someone who would not come here if it were the last coaching job available on earth.

Thanks to Norm and Seabass for that segment.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Never heard the term "moribund" used that many times! Did I hear him correctly when he said that NT was a career killer? He did say that he loved Bower but wasn't sure if Bower would come here. On Leach, Norm said that if 20 jobs were offered to Leach, that NT would be number 20 on his list.

Honestly seeing all these "UNT people" on this board talking about having a chance to land a Leach and some others, Norm's points seemed alot more educated.

Not saying I agree with everything he said, but at least everything was based on truth and fact. As opposed to here where "Who will be the next coach" poll is being lead by someone who would not come here if it were the last coaching job available on earth.

Thanks to Norm and Seabass for that segment.

Dan -

I didn't say we can land everyone being kicked around. I'm reacting to the "why would any coach ruin his career" comment, which is a MAJOR negative shot at us, and is not "based on truth and fact". This is an attractive job, will include some attractive money and is the kind of thing that I think a lot of coaches will find appealing. ...far more than Norm gives NT credit for.

I am happy for the segment too. Press is great - but the bias without really knowing what NT is about right now is no different here by Norm as we bitch about when Dale Hanson or some other Dallas Sports media type disses us or flat out ignores us.

Never heard the term "moribund" used that many times! Did I hear him correctly when he said that NT was a career killer? He did say that he loved Bower but wasn't sure if Bower would come here. On Leach, Norm said that if 20 jobs were offered to Leach, that NT would be number 20 on his list.

and these are all things that have been expressed on this board as well...and have some truth to them. I don't believe he had stated that Bower would not come here...but more like whether or not he would be effective. Even if someone mentioned that Bower wouldn't come here there can be truth in that statement....he has not left that area since pre-college and is deeply ingrained in the community of Hattiesburg.

This is an attractive job, will include some attractive money and is the kind of thing that I think a lot of coaches will find appealing. ...far more than Norm gives NT credit for.

It is an attractive job for a coach that is willing to be part of a building process... And it's possible that a lot of our wish list of "name" coaches might not be interested in that process... No matter the money...

His contention that we are best served hiring young and hungry makes a lot of sense... Someone like that will, hopefully, build the team in his own vision and image...

Now, the hard part is find the right one...

Much easier said than done...

His contention that we are best served hiring young and hungry makes a lot of sense... Someone like that will, hopefully, build the team in his own vision and image...

Is that not what we just did 3.5 years ago? Dodge was young and hungry. And he built the team in his own vision and image, which just happened to be an exact replica of Southlake Carroll's.

Please, young and hungry is good, but we need someone that knows what they are doing and has done it before.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 1

Is his assumption that we are better to go with a young up and comer only because he believes we can't get a big name head coach?

If so, then I am not so sure I buy the assumption. Again,if Solich can go to freakin' OHIO and Price to UTEP, then I don't see how we can't get some equal.

• Upvote 1

Dan -

I didn't say we can land everyone being kicked around. I'm reacting to the "why would any coach ruin his career" comment, which is a MAJOR negative shot at us, and is not "based on truth and fact". This is an attractive job, will include some attractive money and is the kind of thing that I think a lot of coaches will find appealing. ...far more than Norm gives NT credit for.

I am happy for the segment too. Press is great - but the bias without really knowing what NT is about right now is no different here by Norm as we bitch about when Dale Hanson or some other Dallas Sports media type disses us or flat out ignores us.

Never really cared for Norm, and like most local media, if it's not Big 12 it's not big time football. Hiring the young, inexperienced assistant is what we just finished up with. NO THANKS! We need experience at this point. There are enough out of work "name" guys that would love to recruit Texas for our new stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Never really cared for Norm, and like most local media, if it's not Big 12 it's not big time football. Hiring the young, inexperienced assistant is what we just finished up with. NO THANKS! We need experience at this point. There are enough out of work "name" guys that would love to recruit Texas for our new stadium.

I don't think he mentioned hiring another inexperienced head coach... We do need a younger up and coming type of person. Probably an assistant.

Johnny Jones when he got hired would be the type of profile coach I would be looking for. Good experience at successful programs with a good resume, just looking for an opportunity. Johnny Jones has proven that North Texas is not a career killer.

• Upvote 1

Dan -

Can you name one coach in the past 30 years at North Texas that left the program and went on to bigger and better things? Until proven otherwise by another Hayden Fry, NT has been a career killer or at the very least a career staller.

I'm reacting to the "why would any coach ruin his career" comment

The problem here is that perception is reality. I wish we didn't get dissed either but we really haven't earned not being a punchline. You said that this is an attractive job...yes I agree that it is an attractive job right now because of the improvements we have made the last decade or so but really the new stadium and the fact that there are only a 120 of these jobs. And by no means am I a UNT Football expert from the yester years but Hayden Fry was the last person here to be really successful and move on to bigger and better things. That is something that we need to change and hopefully will starting with the next HC.

The problem here is that perception is reality. I wish we didn't get dissed either but we really haven't earned not being a punchline. You said that this is an attractive job...yes I agree that it is an attractive job right now because of the improvements we have made the last decade or so but really the new stadium and the fact that there are only a 120 of these jobs. And by no means am I a UNT Football expert from the yester years but Hayden Fry was the last person here to be really successful and move on to bigger and better things. That is something that we need to change and hopefully will starting with the next HC.

A fellow UNT alum just the other day said if we had hired one of Fry's assistants after Iowa hired him we probably would have never had to spend over a decade in NCAA D1-AA, and it could have been us who did the Boise thing instead of...Boise. NOTE: Bill Snyder of Kansas State had been one of Fry's assistants at North Texas.

GMG!