Coach Fran Article

Harry

Yeah, I don't want that kind of character here. It's like the college coaching equivalent of quitting a job by no-show. Then he goes to sell info to boosters, then he bails out on a 7-5 season when that team would've done better the following season.

The guy burns bridges WHILE he's on them. Not a quality we need here.

He was definitely pushed out after that 7-5 season. I think that's rather obvious. If he quit, he would not be getting a paycheck from A&M right now.

• Upvote 1

I don't see what the big deal is on the article. Of course a player from UA would have a negative comment. The whole situation there was rotten. Fran surely didn't help the situation. If he came here and left NT for greener pastures in 3 years, I'd be all fine for that because it would mean we're winning. I say bring him in here.

• Upvote 1

Coach Fran has done a lot of good things in his coaching career. He has been a winner everywhere he has coached except New Mexico. But, he took a Lobo team that had three winning seasons in the last twenty before his arrival and had three winning seasons in his six there. His last season he was 9-4 which is why TCU hired him. He had very good records at TCU and Alabama. He had problems at A&M, where he barely won in spite of highly rated recruiting classes. He also had the newsletter scandal but he also donated $1 million to the Aggies for an indoor practice facility to offset the $37 thousand that he made from the newsletter.

If I knew that Coach Fran could get his son as his DC, he'd be my favorite candidate. He has proven multiple times that he can build winners and I believe that he would do that here.

• Upvote 1

At least interview Fran. See if he likes us and then hope he comes here, wins like crazy, and is hired away by a bigger progra.m. A la TCU.

GO MEAN GREEN

No matter who ends up getting the job, this is likely the best-case scenario. UNT is simply not in the position to be a career destination choice for any aspiring HC. Maybe we'll get there one day but, for now, we need to find a coach that can successfully use UNT as a springboard to a better opportunity. Dickey didn't get there because he didn't win OOC games and other programs weren't impressed by our SBC titles.