Okay, Here's The Website With Former Head Coaches Listed

http://saveuntfootball.webs.com/apps/links/

I didn't intend to post it until after the WKU or Troy games.

I've included former college head coaches with some track record of winning. The list is in no particular order, and I have no favorites. I'm simply in the school of thought that believe an experienced driver needs to be at the wheel of this thing.

In compiling the list, I was surprised by the number of guys I'd forgotten about. Among them Ty Willingham, Karl Dorrell, Jeff Jagodzinski...guys who didn't necessarily lose, but who were at bigger place and had much more expected of them. Other were dumped because of unrealistic, unappreciative fanbases/administrators/boards of directors - Paul Pasqualoni, Philip Fulmer, Rocky Long, Gary Gibbs, etc.

The one odd guy I've included in there is former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassell. The guy's coaching in the UFL, for crying out loud! He wants to coach somewhere. Why not here? This guy would be confused by his Sun Belt colleagues? Nah. Give him a call just for the hell of it, RV.

Anyway, have fun with the list.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't think he'd be anywhere near Leach on most hiring AD's preference lists. Leach had success year after year, Croom had one successful year as HC. What's he doing now, anyway?

He's a RB coach for the St. Louis Rams. Sure he didn't win a bunch of games, but if you think UNT is a coaching wasteland, try Mississippi State. The fact that he could put together that great 2007 season against SEC competition with their resources says something.

He's a RB coach for the St. Louis Rams. Sure he didn't win a bunch of games, but if you think UNT is a coaching wasteland, try Mississippi State. The fact that he could put together that great 2007 season against SEC competition with their resources says something.

I'm not saying he's a bad prospect, not at all. It's just that several AQ schools are likely to be banging on Leach's door, issues and all, while I doubt Croom is receiving that kind of consideration for open HC positions.

Croom was at Miss State...when you are in the bottom feeders of the SEC it is virtually impossible to do any damage and get known. Croom would be a heck of a hire. He had awesome defenses at MSU and he can recruit not only Texas but a region where some of the best athletes come from. I saw at least bring him in for an interview.