New Coach Reality

G123unt

We may all get excited about all these big names coming to Denton but lets remember a few things:

1-We still have to pay out Dodge's contract, and that will handcuff us on paying a big time name coming here.

2-We are in the Sun Belt, and there are going to be a lot of programs in bigger conference opening up this year (Minnesota,New Mexico, Colorado, Georgia, Possibly Michigan)

3-We will have to pay out the remaining contracts of all the assistants through June if none of them are employed by then.

4-There has only been one winning coach in the history of UNT football, Not exactly eye catching for big name coaches.

5-Jim Leavvitt- Do we really want a guy that hit a player at half time in front of his team at halftime, then lied to everyone about it. It was also found in the investigation that he had the kid meet him at a church late at night to come up with a cover up story. 27 Players on USF came to the aid of the alleged victim and told the investigators reports of other verbal and physical abuse. Besides he was making 1Million Plus at USF, not going to come here.

6-Mike Leach- He wont come here regardless of what happens. And why would we want a guy that would be here for no more than 2-3 years and then would leave.

Just a reality Check for Mean Green Nation.

Lets not give up on this season. The Seniors on this team have been through a lot, and they deserve to be supported through the remainder of the season.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 11

I simply do not understand the lack of knowledge about UNT from those on this board. I thought most posters were really UNT fans and alums and wonder where this lack of knowledge comes from? Please put this misconception to bed about UNT having only one winning head football coach. Good grief...time and time again this comes up. Amazing lack of understanding of UNT's history.

Sorry for the short rant, but this sort of stuff does get to me.

• Upvote 3

We may all get excited about all these big names coming to Denton but lets remember a few things:

1-We still have to pay out Dodge's contract, and that will handcuff us on paying a big time name coming here.

2-We are in the Sun Belt, and there are going to be a lot of programs in bigger conference opening up this year (Minnesota,New Mexico, Colorado, Georgia, Possibly Michigan)

3-We will have to pay out the remaining contracts of all the assistants through June if none of them are employed by then.

4-There has only been one winning coach in the history of UNT football, Not exactly eye catching for big name coaches.

5-Jim Leavvitt- Do we really want a guy that hit a player at half time in front of his team at halftime, then lied to everyone about it. It was also found in the investigation that he had the kid meet him at a church late at night to come up with a cover up story. 27 Players on USF came to the aid of the alleged victim and told the investigators reports of other verbal and physical abuse. Besides he was making 1Million Plus at USF, not going to come here.

6-Mike Leach- He wont come here regardless of what happens. And why would we want a guy that would be here for no more than 2-3 years and then would leave.

Lets not give up on this season. The Seniors on this team have been through a lot, and they deserve to be supported through the remainder of the season.

Do we really want a guy that hit a player at half time in front of his team at halftime, then lied to everyone about it. It was also found in the investigation that he had the kid meet him at a church late at night to come up with a cover up story

He met the kid at a church....what more do you want ?

• Upvote 2

Do we really want a guy that hit a player at half time in front of his team at halftime, then lied to everyone about it. It was also found in the investigation that he had the kid meet him at a church late at night to come up with a cover up story

He met the kid at a church....what more do you want ?

From what I witnessed last Saturday night, there are several players who could truly benefit from some Jim-Leavitt-style motivation!

• Upvote 3

I simply do not understand the lack of knowledge about UNT from those on this board. I thought most posters were really UNT fans and alums and wonder where this lack of knowledge comes from? Please put this misconception to bed about UNT having only one winning head football coach. Good grief...time and time again this comes up. Amazing lack of understanding of UNT's history.

Agreed. We have also won 24 conference championships in our history which is pretty impressive when you think about it. Hate it when people make our history out to be lower than it is.

someone please tell me how many conference championships we've won in the past 20 years? uh, that would be 4. and we aint exactly playing ohio state every year for a conference game.

also, please remind me how many back to back wins we've had since 2004? oh yes, that would be zero.

Agreed. We have also won 24 conference championships in our history which is pretty impressive when you think about it. Hate it when people make our history out to be lower than it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

someone please tell me how many conference championships we've won in the past 20 years? uh, that would be 4. and we aint exactly playing ohio state every year for a conference game.

also, please remind me how many back to back wins we've had since 2004? oh yes, that would be zero.

Uh, that would be 5 conference championships in the past 16 years, and our recent performance could have something to do with today's termination. Ya think?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, I guess NT should not even try under those circumstances. Money is always an obstacle because there is always someone who can pay more, even for the richest programs. However, I don't think NT is going to worry about covering Dodge salary with so much at stake with this next hire. Likewise unless NT is mystically transported into the SEC, there are always better conference homes. Sun Belt competition isn't going to exactly scare coaches away. The lack of success at NT in football is in the past, you don't even want a coach that is concerned with that. The facts are that NT is without doubt in the best position it has ever been to move the football program forward..

Individual coaches may have interest or not, but there are only 120 hc jobs and there are going to be excellent candidates. I really like the fear that if NT does makes a good hire, he will be gone in 2 to 3 years. I guess NT should settle for someone with no upward expectations, I think most would be elated with a coach that was so successful that he was lost after two or three years.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

we have had 1 winning coach in the past 30 years, and only a grad 50 years old or older remembers it. i am 67, and barely remember "oldest" mitchel, who coached when i was a student. if you can count your winning coaches on 1 hand, you don't have many.

• Upvote 1

Does this keep us from striving to be the best damn football program (and university as a whole) possible?. If our own alum can't look at the positives of NT, how can we expect anybody else to look at us favorably? I am so f'ing sick of this self defeating attitude. I have read thread after thread about how pathetic NT is in every way possible. I'm sorry people feel that way but I damn sure don't. I have a great job after obtaining a business degree in finance, I've worked my ass off to get where I am and I think I've been a pretty good ambassador for NT when talking us up at work to A&M, UT, TT, OU alums. This attitude has GOT to stop, its more defeating to me to hear alum belittle NT than some douchebag Aggie.

• Upvote 2