Mike Leach For Unt Head Coach

thew92

I can say with absolute certainty RV has no interest in having Leach at UNT. Absolute. Certainty.

Good for RV!!!!

For those that disagree, how does RV justify to his bosses, who are all state employees, that he wants to hire a coach that currently has pending litigation against another "state supported" institution, and the litigation is for the mistreatment of a player? You can't and you don't. Leach is too much of a wildcard.

Good for RV!!!!

For those that disagree, how does RV justify to his bosses, who are all state employees, that he wants to hire a coach that currently has pending litigation against another "state supported" institution, and the litigation is for the mistreatment of a player? You can't and you don't. Leach is too much of a wildcard.

I guess he could explain it by saying that he's tired of losing football games, and that the litigation was initiated by Leach in denial of the accusation that he mistreated a player.

• Upvote 1

Mike Leach is a winner. North Texas isn't. Big difference.

Then go somewhere else. Winning at all and any costs is not something the majority of the alumni want for North Texas.

For those of you wanting Leach and calling him a "winner," please define winner. There is so much more to being a winner than just winning ballgames, and Leach holds none of those characteristics.

Note: The area in bold is why I mentioned supporting another school.

Edited by UNTLifer

I guess he could explain it by saying that he's tired of losing football games, and that the litigation was initiated by Leach in denial of the accusation that he mistreated a player.

Not to mention that the only reason we'd stand a snowball's chance in Hades of getting him is due to the bizarre situation that led to his dismissal.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...we're having fun here, no?

He wasn't knocking you or your post, per se, just pointing out that he...and myself...and many others...hold the exact opposite opinion on Mike Leach.

Leach is a winner...Leach is a recognizable name in Texas to both recruits and fans...Leach would win at UNT. Plain and simple.

So much funny stuff on here:

"Mike Leach can't take the UNT job because of the lawsuit." - If Mike Leach wants the UNT job, he can certainly take it, and make the decision to drop the lawsuit (or agree on a settlement). People seem to forget that lawyers get 40-60% of that settlement/law suit victory. People seem to forget that if Mike Leach takes ANY job, he will probably drop this lawsuit. The fact that he was quoteed as saying he "would talk to ANYONE about coaching next year" tells me the lawsuit is not an issue.

"Mike Leach was mean to donors" - Ya, so mean that while he was there, Tech expanded their stadium, added donors to the football program like never before, and elevated their football program to unseen heights. MIKE LEACH DIDN'T GLADHAND WITH DONORS BECAUSE HE DIDN'T HAVE TO, HE WON!! Winning brought in the money. How much money has Dodge raised doing everything UNT asked of him except WINNING? Not near what Leach did at Tech.

The above is such a stupid argument. College football fans want winners. They pay for winners. Win and you don't have to be nice.

RV needs to understand that his job is (or at least should be) on the line with this next hire. Talk to everyone that is a good candidate for this job.

Good to know that the college football inferiority complex that is the UNT fan is alive and well.

• Upvote 2

Good for RV!!!!

Be careful.........Those who think Leach is a viable candidate for the UNT job are fighting windmills. Delusional may be more like it, yet they persist in bringing the guys name up time and time again. I know, it's a chat board and the guy is just so lovable and alumni/media friendly as well. Leaving a path of destruction behind is not what I care to see at UNT. The program has simply struggled enough in recent years to get back to a winning program and to build financial donor support to bring someone here in the midst of a lawsuit against his prior university after said university fired the guy for what is purported to be player abuse. Excuse or not, he was fired and in the midst of a lawsuit that probably will not end very soon. I have friends who are donors (and not small ones) to the TT program that are more than pleased to see Leach go. There are probably just as many people and donors at Tech on the other side of that fence. That's fine, but that is not a situation I care to see duplicated or brought to UNT. EVERYONE at UNT needs to be behind the next head coach and the next head coach needs to be VERY media, alumni and fan friendly. Lots of work to do to "sell" the program. No one can deny that that sort of thing has never been a strong point for Mike Leach.

If Leach is the only guy you would be happy to see as the next UNT head coach, well, you will more than likely be very disappointed. If you don't understand all this, well, you will also be very disappointed when the new head coach at UNT is named and it is not Mike Leach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Be careful.........Those who think Leach is a viable candidate for the UNT job are fighting windmills. Delusional may be more like it, yet they persist in bringing the guys name up time and time again. I know, it's a chat board and the guy is just so lovable and alumni/media friendly as well. Leaving a path of destruction behind is not what I care to see at UNT. The program has simply struggled enough in recent years to get back to a winning program and to build financial donor support to bring someone here in the midst of a lawsuit against his prior university after said university fired the guy for what is purported to be player abuse. Excuse or not, he was fired and in the midst of a lawsuit that probably will not end very soon. I have friends who are donors (and not small ones) to the TT program that are more than pleased to see Leach go. There are probably just as many people and donors at Tech on the other side of that fence. That's fine, but that is not a situation I care to see duplicated or brought to UNT. EVERYONE at UNT needs to be behind the next head coach and the next head coach needs to be VERY media, alumni and fan friendly. Lots of work to do to "sell" the program. No one can deny that that sort of thing has never been a strong point for Mike Leach.

If Leach is the only guy you would be happy to see as the next UNT head coach, well, you will more than likely be very disappointed. If you don't understand all this, well, you will also be very disappointed when the new head coach at UNT is named and it is not Mike Leach.

Actually most of what I read indicates that we would all be over the moon if he came here, but we also recognize that it is probably a pipe dream.

However a pipe dream is no reason for RV not to contact a winner.

Actually most of what I read indicates that we would all be over the moon if he came here, but we also recognize that it is probably a pipe dream.

However a pipe dream is no reason for RV not to contact a winner.

Please let me know where you have read that. If you mean here on GMG.com you must remember that this is a small...but very vocal...number of people. Many of whom do not attend games or donate anything to the program for any number of reasons...some probably legit some simply excuses. Do not let what you read here frame your opinions regarding what is true and what is not with the overall fan base...and especially the more influential members of that fan base as they probably don't post or even know this site exists. Not to bash the site by any means...I love GMG.com, but many influential supporters do not take the time to read fan boards. So, being that I think you live out of state, just where are you hearing this other than GMG.com? The GMG coaching poll, the last time I looked, had Coach Fran even ahead of Leach in the voting.

I would think that we have spent more time discussing this guy than RV has given that there is no way Leach in UNT's next head coach while that lawsuit is in play. Believe it!

• Downvote 1

To say Mike Leach "left a path of destruction" at TTech is , well, uneducated, and I'll leave it at that. Look at UNT after this firing, look at Tech after Leach's firing. Where does the path of destruction really lie?

He was not fired in the midst of a lawsuit. He was fired, and then he sued. What if Todd Dodge sues UNT over disputed money owed (a distinct possibility)? Would that lower your opinion of him?

So the large donors were pleased to see Leach go? Maybe you should talk with them again after this season. Funny, but even though they didn't like Leach, they were large donors. Wonder if their donation level decreases during the Tommy Tuberville era.

So, you are saying if Mike Leach is hired, you will be 100% behind him? Great, that is exactly what we need.

Tossing Leach aside without even having a conversation with him is unforgivable. If RV really is looking to move this program forward, he will at least call Leach and gauge his interest. There may not be any interest. But, and I'll say this as loud as I can:

YOU NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU ASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

For those of you wanting Leach and calling him a "winner," please define winner. There is so much more to being a winner than just winning ballgames, and Leach holds none of those characteristics.

I'd also like to know exactly what makes Leach a "winner". What did he ever do at Tech besides 1 year at 11-2 and a berth in the Cotton Bowl?

I'd also like to know exactly what makes Leach a "winner". What did he ever do at Tech besides 1 year at 11-2 and a berth in the Cotton Bowl?

Had them 1 game away from the national title.

Elevated an afterthought of a program to the same level (albeit briefly) as OU and UT.

Was the reason for the stadium expansion and complete sellout of the expanded stadium every year he was there.

And this most important thing: Bonded so well with the student body that he made fans for life that donate and support TTech football.

Some of the older folks should talk to recent Tech grads. You may come away with a whole new appreciation of Mike Leach.

• Upvote 1

Please let me know where you have read that. If you mean here on GMG.com you must remember that this is a small...but very vocal...number of people. Many of whom do not attend games or donate anything to the program for any number of reasons...some probably legit some simply excuses. Do not let what you read here frame your opinions regarding what is true and what is not with the overall fan base...and especially the more influential members of that fan base as they probably don't post or even know this site exists. Not to bash the site by any means...I love GMG.com, but many influential supporters do not take the time to read fan boards. So, being that I think you live out of state, just where are you hearing this other than GMG.com? The GMG coaching poll, the last time I looked, had Coach Fran even ahead of Leach in the voting.

I would think that we have spent more time discussing this guy than RV has given that there is no way Leach in UNT's next head coach while that lawsuit is in play. Believe it!

I was referring to your statement that the thought of hiring Leach was "delusional." I...and presumably UNT90 and the others who would be very on board with a Leach hire...actually agree with you. I don't think he'll end up here for various reasons (lawsuits, money) and I think its a shame...however it is no reason for RV to not at least make an effort to bring him in for an interview.

Then go somewhere else. Winning at all and any costs is not something the majority of the alumni want for North Texas.

As far as I know Leach is not a serial killer, so I wouldn't exactly say that hiring him would be trying to win at "all costs." What makes us so ethically superior to the bigger programs that are likely to soon be courting him anyway? Besides, I think Leach has probably learned his lesson in regard to electrical closets, and I really don't care if he's not much of an ambassador or even maybe a bit of a fruitcake, as long as he stays out of serious trouble and wins football games. Wins could take care of a lot of his "ambassadorship duties" all by themselves. It's not like he needs to be our Joe Paterno and coach here until he's a hundred. Obviously , the odds of his coming to Denton are extremely remote, but I just want someone who can turn this thing around ASAP, and he is not someone that I would automatically rule out if he showed interest.