Jeff Bower Bio

Harry

:ph34r: ?

I sure as hell hope not.

I wouldn't have believed it was possible that in a season that we're finally opening a new stadium, a year after finally firing Todd Dodge... I would stop going to football games.

But hiring Bower would do it to me. I just don't think I have it in me to deal with that.

I sure as hell hope not.

I wouldn't have believed it was possible that in a season that we're finally opening a new stadium, a year after finally firing Todd Dodge... I would stop going to football games.

But hiring Bower would do it to me. I just don't think I have it in me to deal with that.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

I said this in chat, and I'll say it again:

I would rather see us rehire Todd Dodge than bring Jeff Bower in here. I am not joking.

Totally agree. It's not like he was Captain Kangaroo at FAU who had actually won big at big programs. He took a middle of the road team and had them competitive most years. Not dominant. Might as well hire Dickey back, because he did that too.

Bower wouldn't be my first choice, but can someone explain all the hate? He's the type of guy who seems to get 7-8 wins a season consistently. Probably not the type of guy who'd get us consistently ranked, but it would be at least nice to have winning seasons. Is there something I'm missing?

Would someone please do this? Why so opposed to this guy?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Would someone please do this? Why so opposed to this guy?

I think Tasty already did that. But I will add to his comments that Southern Miss hasn't suffered from losing him, still having winning seasons and are 5-2 this year. And have you ever been to USM? It's in the middle of nowhere, but is a real nice campus. It seems as though Southern Miss just gets good kids no matter what. We have SMU and TCU in our own backyard to deal with. It's not that we wouldn't be thrilled with winning seasons here every year, it's that we don't think he'd do it here.

Ok, after reading some of the specifics regarding the downward trajectory of Bower's USM teams in his last several years, I can understand why he might not be the ideal candidate. However, I don't think it's fair to call him the next Dickey (who did accomplish some good things here). First, Bower's team finished ranked 19th in both polls in 1997 and 13th (Coaches) and 14th (AP) in 1999. Second, Bower has a 6-5 record in bowl games. While I realize that those rankings weren't in the last few years, Bower did win a bowl game as recently as 2007.

Bower may have magic sauce. I don't know. But I would be VERY disappointed with a 24 hour turnaround crony hire. The University of North Texas can ill afford another 4 years of fail here.

I'd much rather take an extra week or two to interview five or six quality candidates than rush into a familiar situation. Hell, pick up the phone and call the name guys - what do you have to lose? You will fail to land 100% of the candidates you don't ask. Let's kick the tires and see what we can rustle up.

Jeff Bower would be a MISTAKE. He was fired in 2007. He's a has been (I agree he DID some good things). We may as well hire Phil Bennett! Come on folks, surely we don't have this narrowed down to a HAS BEEN (Jeff Bower) and a D2 Guy (Frazier 3). Let's at least look at some D1 guys for our D1 team.

• Upvote 1

I believe we will see Jeff Bower as our next head coach. Our athletic department is full of Southern Miss ex-employees/alumni.

Paul Batchelder enters his eighth year with North Texas Athletics. The Senior Associate Athletic Prior to joining to the Mean Green in July of 2003, Batchelder served as the assistant athletic director at Southern Miss.

Brian Bethea serves as associate athletic director for facilities and event management. Prior to coming to North Texas, Bethea served as a student assistant for the Southern Miss athletic department in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. For two and a half years, he worked in the marketing & promotions and external affairs office.

Dustin Hill enters his 10th year as the director of sports medicine at North Texas. Hill earned his master's of science in sports administration from the University of Southern Mississippi. Upon completion of his master's degree, Hill remained at the University of Southern Mississippi as the associate head athletic trainer.

Chris Moore joined the North Texas Athletics Department in the spring of 2009 as the assistant athletic director for compliance. He began his career as the compliance assistant at the University of Southern Mississippi for a year, while completing a graduate degree in sports administration. A 1999 graduate of Southern Miss in finance, Moore worked at Southern Miss in admissions and with the alumni association before pursuing a career in compliance.

Chris Seroka is beginning his 11th year with the North Texas strength and conditioning program and his 10th as the head strength and conditioning coach. A 1988 graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi, he was a three-year letter winner in football while also earning two letters in baseball.

Rick Villarreal received his bachelor’s degree in coach and sports administration from Southern Mississippi in 1989.

Jamie Adams starts his sixth year as director of promotions at North Texas. He received his master's degree in sports management from the University of Southern Mississippi in 2002 where he served as a graduate assistant in facilities and event management.

• Downvote 1