Dodge On Unt's Situation

Brett Vito

Really wish things would have worked out for him here.

Dodge has been an outstanding ambassador for North Texas, but the right thing to do is reassign him or cut him loose. Let Dodge start his next chapter of his life.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't think he needs to be reassigned until the season is over. Make the announcement, let him finish the season and then reassign him at the end if the season.

I enjoyed reading this. Thank you Coach Dodge. Keep the positive attitude, and keep up the fight until it is over!

• Upvote 2

Class act to the end. Very refreshing.

Agreed. On the coach's show he was class all the way. He talked up the players coming back and the positives of the school, including the stadium.

I think he deserves to finish out his contract in some goodwill ambassador or fundraising position. I think he would do a great job and he could still be close enough to watch Riley.

What would Dodge otherwise say? He's not saying anything out of the ordinary. It is just generic speak if you ask me.

One never knows what is said behind closed doors. Not that I think Dodge would run down UNT to the players, but on the 1% chance that he would, I wouldn't let him remain in the head coaching position. PLus, like KingDL said, let the man get on with his life.

What would Dodge otherwise say? He's not saying anything out of the ordinary. It is just generic speak if you ask me.

Coach speak or not, classy or not, keeping TD as HC puts a tremendous burden on recruiting for next year. That stadium will be cool at first, but crowds will dwindle if we can't put a quality team in it and win some games. Keeping TD is not fair to the fans or the kids playing football at UNT.

• Upvote 1

Coach speak or not, classy or not, keeping TD as HC puts a tremendous burden on recruiting for next year. That stadium will be cool at first, but crowds will dwindle if we can't put a quality team in it and win some games. Keeping TD is not fair to the fans or the kids playing football at UNT.

Keeping Dodge for the rest of the year doesn't hurt anything any more than it already is UNLESS you replace him immediately with a new permanent head coach. A caretaker interim coach can't recruit, won't draw huge numbers of extra fans and historically don't do much better than the coach they replaced.

If RV wants to reward good, gracious behavior by letting Dodge finish out the season, I'm sure the vast majority of donors to the Mean Green Club will not object.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Class act. Coach Dodge has been a great ambassador for the University from day 1. I do not recall him ever speaking poorly about UNT or the position he has found himself in as this season moves forward. I am proud to have Coach dodge associated with UNT, but wish that he had been able to bring more wins so he could remain as head coach. I appreciate his efforts, but, most of all, I appreciate the way he is handling this situation with the team and in public.

I wish him nothing but the best going forward...class act as a head coach.

One never knows what is said behind closed doors. Not that I think Dodge would run down UNT to the players, but on the 1% chance that he would, I wouldn't let him remain in the head coaching position. PLus, like KingDL said, let the man get on with his life.

agreed...if your decision is made about a coaching change, then move on....*hit...its been 6 years since we have really won any games..quit waisting time folks! Even us who didn't like the hire have always said he is a "stand up guy"..accept responsibilty...I mean...he's not Obama !

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Class act. Coach Dodge has been a great ambassador for the University from day 1. I do not recall him ever speaking poorly about UNT or the position he has found himself in as this season moves forward. I am proud to have Coach dodge associated with UNT, but wish that he had been able to bring more wins so he could remain as head coach. I appreciate his efforts, but, most of all, I appreciate the way he is handling this situation with the team and in public.

I wish him nothing but the best going forward...class act as a head coach.

It doesn't change the fact that it is pretty generic coaching talk. I am not saying that he is totally not sincere in his talk but he is still under contract and getting a pretty nice salary with a year left after this one. Not to mention his kid is still here for another 1 or 2 years so he knows better than to even slightly bash this program because he has no room to bash. All he has to do is look at his coaching record and his games and that all speaks for itself. Our standards are so low and the culture of losing is so prevalent that our fan base will find any and every excuse not to justify a complete torching to arguably the worst college football coach in history.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

agreed...if your decision is made about a coaching change, then move on....*hit...its been 6 years since we have really won any games..quit waisting time folks! Even us who didn't like the hire have always said he is a "stand up guy"..accept responsibilty...I mean...he's not Obama !

Ever seen them in the same place?

• Upvote 1

It doesn't change the fact that it is pretty generic coaching talk.

Actually, it's not generic at all. The last two previous coaches went out of their way to insult various combinations of fans, donors, administrators, others in the athletic department, other departments at the university and even the university itself. They did this very publicly. Dodge is better than that. A competent manager rewards behavior who wants. Being a classy guy doesn't earn Dodge another year, but it does get him a classy exit.

arguably the worst college football coach in history

/quote]

He's not even close. Check out the situation at New Mexico. Or ask any of us who were around for Bob Tyler. :D

• Downvote 1

"...it's not the biggest stadium" comment from TDodge I could have lived w/o but I knew it was coming because it will come from our recruiting competitors, too, since they have to say something to knock it. Many of you I've talked with knew this was coming, too.

IMHO, we are just building it too small capacity-wise even in its initial stage. Yes, anything is better than Fouts Field, but in the Lone Star State, we are in the perception business with those we have to compete against. So we have our alma mater, ie, UNT.....closing in on 40,000 students and building a stadium less than SMU's 32,000?

Joe Texas College Football Fan: "Why did UNT with their enrollment explosion build it so small even from the beginning?" If you have noticed or been observant, you don't see the capacity of this stadium mentioned in most articles about it and I think we can all figure out the reason for that now and you can start with Todd Dodge's "it's not the biggest stadium" comments. That is not a positive and for green kool-ade drinkers on this subject of stadium size you know it isn't a positive, either.

Sorry, but UNT is still the same school whose first olympic sized swimming pool in the PEB is still............one foot short of being olympic size. So do universities make blunders with construction and subsequently perception-creators? Be truthful to yourself with that answer.

We all will live with this beautiful stadium no matter its size, but couldn't we have found room for a few more seats for it to be larger than at least SMU's 32,000? As many of you have posted on this forum: Perception is reality especially among Texas colleges and universities.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This place is starting to suck because of all of the back and forth about Dodge.

For those who oppose Dodge: Isn't it good enough that he's gone? Who cares what he says now? Nobody. We already know that.

For those who support Dodge: Just accept the fact that he couldn't do it at this level and move on. No one cares how nice he is. Most coaches are nice.

Everyone just move along. The thing I do resent about RV hiring Dodge is that it never healed the fanbase. It stayed fractured for the entire four year tenure.

Please, RV, for peace and brotherhood among the fanbase, please hire someone who the fanbase can fully support...or, at least someone who has the credentials that should warrant full support.

• Upvote 1

This place is starting to suck because of all of the back and forth about Dodge.

For those who oppose Dodge: Isn't it good enough that he's gone? Who cares what he says now? Nobody. We already know that.

For those who support Dodge: Just accept the fact that he couldn't do it at this level and move on. No one cares how nice he is. Most coaches are nice.

Everyone just move along. The thing I do resent about RV hiring Dodge is that it never healed the fanbase. It stayed fractured for the entire four year tenure.

Please, RV, for peace and brotherhood among the fanbase, please hire someone who the fanbase can fully support...or, at least someone who has the credentials that should warrant full support.

We had a good first year where almost everyone stuck together. The Vizza thing was where the cracking started.

"...it's not the biggest stadium" comment from TDodge I could have lived w/o but I knew it was coming because it will come from our recruiting competitors, too, since they have to say something to knock it. Many of you I've talked with knew this was coming, too.

IMHO, we are just building it too small capacity-wise even in its initial stage. Yes, anything is better than Fouts Field, but in the Lone Star State, we are in the perception business with those we have to compete against. So we have our alma mater, ie, UNT.....closing in on 40,000 students and building a stadium less than SMU's 32,000?

Joe Texas College Football Fan: "Why did UNT with their enrollment explosion build it so small even from the beginning?" If you have noticed or been observant, you don't see the capacity of this stadium mentioned in most articles about it and I think we can all figure out the reason for that now and you can start with Todd Dodge's "it's not the biggest stadium" comments. That is not a positive and for green kool-ade drinkers on this subject of stadium size you know it isn't a positive, either.

Sorry, but UNT is still the same school whose first olympic sized swimming pool in the PEB is still............one foot short of being olympic size. So do universities make blunders with construction and subsequently perception-creators? Be truthful to yourself with that answer.

We all will live with this beautiful stadium no matter its size, but couldn't we have found room for a few more seats for it to be larger than at least SMU's 32,000? As many of you have posted on this forum: Perception is reality especially among Texas colleges and universities.

I was very disappointed when the 32K was announced. I went to the AC several weeks ago and viewed construction from the deck. Maybe I'm not a good judge on this but the stadium seems like it is a lot larger than Fouts. I went to a SMU game last year and it seems a hell of a lot larger than Ford. Maybe recruites will hear the seating capacity as a negative but i wonder what they'll think when they see it. I've had a lot of co-workers that have driven by and commented on how large it looked and when i told them capacity, they were amazed. Maybe seat count won't have a huge negative effect on recruiting.

Anyone who thinks UNT's new stadium will have anything but a positive effect on UNT's recruiting is just delusional. That stadium is great and it will be beautiful when completed. The capacity will not be an issue...filling it up with fans and supporters will be the issue. If recruiters will use anything against UNT it will be the size of the fan base and turnout and the fact that historically, even the students, do not support athletics at UNT.

Remember, it has been Fouts...that is something an opposing coach can use against UNT. That IS GONE!

However, anyone who knows anything about UNT and has been on campus in the last 4-5 years knows that things are changing at UNT and changing for the better. I expect we will all see a growing fran base and a growing donor base...all in good part to the new stadium and all the other great things going on at UNT these days.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2