Softball Coach was forced to resign

NT75

New softball coach Stacey Segal was forced to resign. I hope RV did his homework.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 04, 2002

3/5 SEGAL OUT AT COLLEGE: Navarro's only head softball coach placed on leave

Stacey Segal had taken the Navarro College softball program to great heights each of the first three years of existence, with the last two ending with appearances at the NJCAA national tournament. Now the first coach of the school's 4-year-old program appears to be out of a job.

Navarro College president Dr. Richard Sanchez said Monday Segal has been placed on permanent administrative leave in response to recurring issues of anger and verbal abuse on her part. Those issues, he said, date back to an incident last season involving her temper and verbal abuse - issues which he said were beginning to manifest themselves again this season.

He did not disclose exactly what those issues were but said they were brought to his attention this season by softball players and parents.

Sanchez said Segal was placed on permanent leave as of last Thursday. Her contract will be paid through the rest of its term, which ends Aug. 31, he said, and she will not be offered an extension at that time. Assistant softball coach Jessica Karenke will serve as interim coach until Navarro athletic director Roark Montgomery can hire a replacement.

The Bulldogs played their first game under Karenke Monday, sweeping a double-header from a school where Segal once coached, Northwood University.

"I can't be real specific with you because this is a personnel matter, and with personnel matters, they are kept very private," Sanchez said. "I can tell you that last year we encountered some ... standards of negative professional demeanor as a coach. Those were addressed, and after lengthy conversations, everything was satisfactory and the season continued without incident."

Segal wouldn't elaborate Monday afternoon on the issue which led her to be placed on administrative leave, saying only, "I've been placed on administrative leave and I hope to be re-instated."

However, in a letter Segal said she sent to Sanchez dated Feb. 28, 2002, she offers the following:

"Last year I had some problems. I am grateful to you for the guidance you gave me and for giving me the opportunity to work through those problems. I overcame those problems. I know that I have comported in an appropriate way in every respect, both on and off the field, and that I have done nothing to justify my firing."

In that letter, Segal claims Sanchez did not give her an opportunity to hear the allegations levied against her which ultimately led to her being placed on permanent leave. "I asked for a chance to consider and prepare a truthful and accurate response," Segal states in the letter. "You did not afford that to me."

Segal later stated in an e-mail received by the Daily Sun that events from which the allegations spawned happened at the Cowtown Classic in Fort Worth last weekend.

"I am very concerned that (Sanchez' actions) and the actions taken by the college may affect my ability to get another job in coaching. ... I am disappointed that the college's administration thought so little of me that they did not show me the courtesy of letting me respond to allegations before taking action that could affect the remainder of my coaching career. I expected more."

Sanchez said he met with Segal last week, but again noted he could not offer any specific information about that meeting. He did say Montgomery spoke with the players following the coach being placed on permanent leave and he himself wrote letters to the parents of the players to let them know this situation would not affect their daughters.

"I have not spoken with her specifically about the allegation," Sanchez said. "I would think Coach Segal knows what the issues represent."

Segal has made coaching stops at Wylie High School, Northwood University and Navarro College, compiling a career record of 238-99-1. She posted winning records at all three schools, going 136-49-1 at Navarro, 71-40 at Northwood and 21-10 at Wylie. Her Bulldog teams were Region XIV champions the past two seasons.

We have all said and done things we wished we hadn't. I know I have even on this forum and have almost always regretted doing so. Sometimes our passion gets in the way of common sense or what we do and say yet that should (of course) never be an excuse. I've even been obtuse & terse with my own immediate family. (Feel bad every time, too, so I guess the conscience part of me is still functioning even in middle age).

Lets hope that UNT will be a fresh and new beginning for Stacey. It just sounds like she and her boss just had what happens to many in our work-a-day world and that's just that neither may have been members of each other's admiration sociey. Any of you ever have a boss or supervisor like that? rolleyes.gif

Right after posting the article, I wish I hadn't. It was an impulsive reaction on my part. There were other articles and letters to the editor from parents of some of the players. What this boiled down to was the coach not being able to control her emotions and using language to berate her players that she shouldn't have.

We have all been guilty of not controlling our emotions. I hope that Coach Segal has attended some type of anger management counseling so that she can control her emotions to prevent these type of episodes from happening again.

I totally agree that she is deserving of another chance. Perhaps a change of scenery and a new set of challenges will provided the perfect environment for her to excel in. That is obviously what RV is thinking as I'm sure he wouldn't have made this hire if he thought there was a risk involved.