Remember When A Cusa School And Others Wanted Tdodge...

PlummMeanGreen

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/121306dnsposherrington.3355eb7.html

Seems Todd Dodge did have a very nice resume' and many, many football higher-ups on his bandwagon, too. His lack of success may make some of these people in the article below think there may be something wrong in Denton, perhaps?

If we can't make it happen with a name coach, then what the hell do we do, folks? :blink::huh:(Fact is...I think we can, though, because that formula worked before in Denton like none other since--so let's let history repeat itself in this case).

DENTON The University of North Texas introduced a high school coach Tuesday in its never-ending quest for Hayden Fry's heir apparent.

In many places, maybe most, the preceding paragraph might be construed as an indictment.

But not if you know Todd Dodge . Not if you've seen his Southlake Carroll teams play.

Not if you witnessed Rice's revival this year. Or Missouri's.

Not if you ask Bill Parcells or Sean Payton or Mack Brown or Gary Pinkel.

The Mean Green didn't just hire a high school coach. Rick Villarreal found answers to the direction of his athletic program.

CollegesColleges blog

Tell us: A good hire for UNT?

Sherrington: Dodge ball will be a hit at UNT

Mean Green turns to familiar face

Dodge inherits team with question marks

Whitmire: Carroll needs to find total package

More: North Texas

Need an entertaining offense that'll draw fans as well as recruits?

Check.

Need a coach with a lot of high school contacts, especially in the area?

Check.

Need a coach to sell the push for a $60 million stadium?

Check.

Need a coach who can turn it around fast?

Check.

Maybe you're still not so sure. Maybe you recall the last high school coach UNT hired.

Dennis Parker came straight out of Marshall in the early '90s and won an average of four games in three seasons.

His offensive coordinator? Todd Dodge.

Hardly seems comforting, does it? Only if you know how far UNT and Dodge have come in the years since.

Dodge took over Bob Ledbetter's excellent Carroll program in 2000 and did the impossible: He made it better, guiding it through the difficult transition from 4A to 5A.

Guided it? The Dragons have dominated the state's top class like no team since Chuck Moser's Abilene teams of the 1950s.

Get this: The Dragons have gone 77-1 since moving up to 5A. The only loss was by one point to Katy in the 2003 state title game.

Of course, those were high school games. He's stepping up in class now, and some UNT boosters and alumni have already asked Villarreal:

"How do you know he can do it at this level?"

All you need to do, Villarreal tells the doubters, is talk X's and O's with the man.

Or you could talk to the quarterbacks and receivers who come to his camp every summer, the most prestigious in North Texas, a likely base for North Texas recruiting the next several years.

You could talk to Rice officials. They tried to interview Dodge for the job that eventually went to Todd Graham, who qualified Rice for its first bowl in 42 seasons.

Graham wanted to hire Dodge, too. When he couldn't, he got Major Applewhite, who calls Dodge a mentor, and all Applewhite did was effectively run Rice's spread offense with Wishbone personnel.

Moral: With the right coaches, you can get it done at this level, and fast.

Ask Missouri coaches what they think. Dodge supplied the quarterback, Chase Daniel, and offense for the Tigers' turnaround season.

Pinkel says Dodge's offensive knowledge and development of young quarterbacks is "as good as anyone I've ever seen."

Talk to Bill Parcells. Called up Dodge out of the blue last year and asked if he wanted to talk about coaching tight ends for him.

Even after he got an audience with the Cowboys' coach, Dodge still couldn't believe it.

"What," he asked, "am I doing here?"

Parcells told him he'd been watching his games. Had his eye on him as a potential assistant. Called him a "football guy," and a "good teacher of the game."

Coaching is coaching at any level, Mack Brown says, high school or college or pros.

"It will be a great fit for him," Brown says, "and North Texas is lucky to have him."

Lucky that Dodge got to coach his son, Riley, this season, and can check it off his list.

Lucky that Riley's only a junior, or Dodge might have left for a coordinator's job someplace else.

Lucky that Dodge coached here once, and he can see how far the facilities have come since then.

Darrell Dickey built a base here. He qualified UNT four times for the New Orleans Bowl, and Dodge hasn't forgotten.

But he also knows it can be better. "The Metroplex's Team," is how he sees it.

Frankly, Villarreal probably would settle for a program Denton and UNT's alumni base can finally embrace.

If anyone can fulfill the Mean Green's long-lost promise, it's the man who plans on coaching a high school team until Dec. 23. After that, he's all UNT's. Christmas comes early.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

My point is, nobody cares about what someone was expected to do after they've been at a job for awhile. I don't give a damn if CUSA schools wanted him. Parcells apparently wanted him too. Who cares? He's been a disaster.

I didn't post this article to say he was a success in Denton--few (if any) have been in your lifetime, CMJ, but only to point out that sometimes its not the person but rather the school that cannot be successful because of karma, stars not lining up, uh, "stadium" or whatever and is the main reason many on this board feel like it will have to be a Name Coach next go around or we will be farting in the wind in Denton another one of your lifetimes or your childrens, that's all pal.

I mean how many former UNT HFC's knock their socks off to get back to Denton for university related golf tourneys other than one I can think of? That one just so happened to be the last coach at UNT with a career above .500 W/L record, too. I hope our next HFC 30 years from now is knocking the Denton City Limits sign over to come back to any event related to UNT because that would probably mean that Rick V hired the right one this time around--we are 30 plus years over-due for this to happen. It has been the greatest challenge for any UNT AD since I was a student. Our AD job is not an easy job to say the least.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Sure, some jobs are basically black holes. But no job is unsalvageable. NT basketball has an even more dubious history than football. People even told Jankovich that he should get out before he was canned and he had limited success here. Coach Jones managed a decent first year and then struggled for a few to the point where many were ready to start over. That's just about the time he turned it around.

We're looking for our football Johnny Jones.

• Upvote 3

Sure, some jobs are basically black holes. But no job is unsalvageable. NT basketball has an even more dubious history than football. People even told Jankovich that he should get out before he was canned and he had limited success here. Coach Jones managed a decent first year and then struggled for a few to the point where many were ready to start over. That's just about the time he turned it around.

We're looking for our football Johnny Jones.

:thumbsup:

On that we will agree...

GMG!

PS: And on this PS I will say in your honor, CMJ..........Hooray for Hollywood! I'm out and headed to Blockbuster! Adios, amigos! :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People still go to Blockbuster ?

Blockbuster? Parker County here, Merle's inspiration for this song I'm quite sure:

We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee;

We don't take our trips on LSD

We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street;

We like livin' right, and bein' free.

I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,

A place where even squares can have a ball

We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,

And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all

We don't make a party out of lovin';

We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo;

We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy,

Like the hippies out in San Francisco do.

And I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,

A place where even squares can have a ball.

And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all.

Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear;

Beads and Roman sandals won't be seen.

Football's still the roughest thing on campus,

And the kids here still respect the college dean.

In Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA. Merle Haggard

I'd rather be a red neck than a pinko as in........ take from the rich--give to the poor?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/121306dnsposherrington.3355eb7.html

DENTON –

Coaching is coaching at any level, Mack Brown says, high school or college or pros.

"It will be a great fit for him," Brown says, "and North Texas is lucky to have him."

----

If anyone can fulfill the Mean Green's long-lost promise, it's the man who plans on coaching a high school team until Dec. 23. After that, he's all UNT's. Christmas comes early.

It's amazing how stupid people can be. Kevin Sherrington. Mack Brown. These guys didn't know there is a difference between high school football and college football?

Those of us who never believed we raked over the coals for our non-belief. My brief flight of fancy with belief came only after RV made Dodge jettison the last remnants of his high school coaching staff and put control of the coaching and game planning into Mike Canales' hands.

It's not so shocking that a mere journalist like Kevin Sherrington could have the wool pulled over his eyes. Too many people in journalism, especially sports journalism, suck up too much to their subject (refreshingly, to me anyway, is Brett Vito because he reports what happens instead of just fawning over the subject.).

But, guys and girls...we all know there's no way Mack Brown could have believed a word he said. And, if so...well...you can chalk up anything he's achieved to one season of Vince Young and a couple of Colt McCoy.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

It's amazing how stupid people can be. Kevin Sherrington. Mack Brown. These guys didn't know there is a difference between high school football and college football?

Those of us who never believed we raked over the coals for our non-belief. My brief flight of fancy with belief came only after RV made Dodge jettison the last remnants of his high school coaching staff and put control of the coaching and game planning into Mike Canales' hands.

It's not so shocking that a mere journalist like Kevin Sherrington could have the wool pulled over his eyes. Too many people in journalism, especially sports journalism, suck up too much to their subject (refreshingly, to me anyway, is Brett Vito because he reports what happens instead of just fawning over the subject.).

But, guys and girls...we all know there's no way Mack Brown could have believed a word he said. And, if so...well...you can chalk up anything he's achieved to one season of Vince Young and a couple of Colt McCoy.

So another sports white lie from Mack Brown, perhaps? :rolleyes:

GMG!

Never has so much been accomplished from a guy with so little in his tank than Mack Brown. He's the Barry Switzer of the 21st century - only, with about a dozen less titles than Barry.

The Auburn defensive coordinators saved Mack Brown's hide beginning in 2005. He and Greg Davis were already well known underachievers before Chizik and Muschamp arrived and began shutting down OU for them. Before those two guys, Brown/Davis didn't have a title to their name even during their ACC years at UNC.

Hiring the right assistants helps immensely...especially if you don't know what the f*ck you are doing and have gotten by on personality for years. Had Brown stayed with Akina in 2005 and lost a sixth in a row to OU, he'd have been shown the door.

Similarly, Canales had a chance to save Dodge's lost backside this season as well before injuries left him with a third team center snapping to a fourth string walkon. But, even so...Canales has the third and fourth stringer running a much more competitive game plan that we ever saw with Dodge/Ford with their first stringers.

I hope we can find a way to win this weekend. I really do. That FIU ended their long losing streak against us in 2007, then blew us out in 2008 here to set the tone for an awful year, has been something that has stuck in my craw for some time. I'd like to see us poke them in the eye somehow.

A turnover free game - with our fourth string quarterback - would have been enough to beat ASU last week. If we can play turnover free ball Saturday, I believe Canales can deliver the game plan.

Yes, I'm still stupid enough to believe that good coaching can trump even the worst of injury situations. But...I'll freely admit, this is probably Custer's Last Stand football-wise for Dodge.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

IF TD has to be relieved at the end of this season I would like to see Coach Canales step into the HC position and perhaps TD as the OC and all the other coaches remain where they are.

IMHO, Coach DeLoach has done a great job with the defense and perhaps that (I can not remember his name) NFL lineman who followed Coach Canales to NT will be promoted to an assistant.

Perhaps Coach Dodge can learn a little more about the game at the college level from Coach Canales who has an excellent resume at both college and pro.

I really hope that everyone can see the one really big talent that Coach Dodge has is recruiting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

If we win two or three more, and Dodge is fired, I don't see how RV can't consider Canales.

I mean, at that point, we will have been more competitive in the Belt in one season with Canales calling the shots than in the three years combined with Dodge and Ford calling the shots.

But, if we can't get past WKU and ULM...we will need the house cleaned. I love Mike Canales. But, WKU and ULM are horrible. FAU and Arkansas State are horrible, too. We beat FAU with our third QB, and were an opening series fumble away from taking down ASU with the fourth stringer.

Those were bad teams. The 2010 season was always going to be a rebuilding year for the majority of Belt teams. The opportunity for us was so ripe. It still is.

Here's the sad reality of the Belt in 2010 - if we beat FIU on Saturday, we're right back in the race for the title! And, folks, it's not like FIU ran WKU out of their stadium last weekend. FIU has a new QB amd many new starters as well. At home, they only beat WKU by 7.

If we win two or three more, and Dodge is fired, I don't see how RV can't consider Canales.

I mean, at that point, we will have been more competitive in the Belt in one season with Canales calling the shots than in the three years combined with Dodge and Ford calling the shots.

But, if we can't get past WKU and ULM...we will need the house cleaned. I love Mike Canales. But, WKU and ULM are horrible. FAU and Arkansas State are horrible, too. We beat FAU with our third QB, and were an opening series fumble away from taking down ASU with the fourth stringer.

Those were bad teams. The 2010 season was always going to be a rebuilding year for the majority of Belt teams. The opportunity for us was so ripe. It still is.

Here's the sad reality of the Belt in 2010 - if we beat FIU on Saturday, we're right back in the race for the title! And, folks, it's not like FIU ran WKU out of their stadium last weekend. FIU has a new QB amd many new starters as well. At home, they only beat WKU by 7.

I hope we are not spending $80 million for a new stadium to keep a Sun Belt frame of mind.

The 'Belt is pathetic & I hope does not (once again) become our barometer for success like it did in its early years and............beggin' some pardons, but why do we at UNT more than anywhere else on the globe or the known universe always want to.......................recycle coaching personnel..........& from within when we ain't produced much from within?

Its like we are the Stepford Fans at times around here.

Hint To UNT Powers: Don't hire anyone who has ever had anything to do with this football program under a regime that did not go up to the next level in the NCAA, OK? :blink:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Been to all of em'...but not one of those located in Parker County--where the real wild west begins, TTG. :)

(Damn, I'm sure glad I don't have any stock with Blockbuster).

GMG!

That is a damn tragedy.

Forget the stadium fund, I'm in for $20 to get you a moving van. :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That is a damn tragedy.

Forget the stadium fund, I'm in for $20 to get you a moving van. :P

I guess we could PM all this, right, TTG? :lol:

Actually, Parker County is OK. Hell, Commanches were raiding ranches out here 12 years before UNT had its first classes in 1890. Old timers out here have great cowboy/indian stories from way back from their great grandparents--I have a few of my own.

The Bearcat Cafe in Aledo is a great place for Monday morning QB's to drink coffee & have a great greasy spoon breakfast. Any county that is the home of Peter Pan and J.R. Ewing can't be too bad, either, right? (Mary Martin and her son, Larry Hagman, of course). AND............Parker County is also the home of:

FIRE-FIGHTIN' RICK!...............IT'S ALL GOOD !

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

IF TD has to be relieved at the end of this season I would like to see Coach Canales step into the HC position and perhaps TD as the OC and all the other coaches remain where they are.

IMHO, Coach DeLoach has done a great job with the defense and perhaps that (I can not remember his name) NFL lineman who followed Coach Canales to NT will be promoted to an assistant.

Perhaps Coach Dodge can learn a little more about the game at the college level from Coach Canales who has an excellent resume at both college and pro.

I really hope that everyone can see the one really big talent that Coach Dodge has is recruiting.

I always tell people my one really big talent is wishing. It works out just as well.

• Upvote 1