Brandon Mccoy

NT03

Speaking of defensive lineman.....we've blown a redshirt year on highly touted DE, Aaron Bellazin of Everman. And all that I've seen him do....is be on the front line on our Kickoff return team. He may play on other special teams...not sure. But if you're going to blow a redshirt year....get the kids some reps on offense or defense (see Brandin Byrd; see Brelan Chancellor; see Bellazin).

Well... He played one down at DE and got an immediate sack.

You do realize that demanding someone "prove" what a player can do when the entire argument you're fighting is based on the lack of utilization of said player is ridiculous... Right?

Not my word but his...PROVEN.

Well... So far, he's proven he can do a hell of a lot more than I saw out of Demario Dixon.

Agree/Disagree?

I understand what you are saying....But you need to be in practice. Good performance in practice usually translates into playing time. My hope is that they find a spot for him...

Ok, may the rest of your Sunday be superb. My prayer is that we not only play well enough to win, but that we actually win the next game against FIU. For now, should the coaches leave or stay for next season isn’t immediately relevant to me ...All I am looking at is a win against FIU. Another win will do a lot of good for the Men, all who are playing their asses off. Go meangreen!

Not my word but his...PROVEN.

Tasty helped me here, in limited action, he has made plays. We need more to see if he can prove to be a long term contributor, but has provided some play behind the line. I can't find his exact stats since the athletics site pulls volleyball stats when you look for football stats. The coaches have said that he should get more time, so they obviously think he can be a contributor, yet they refuse to actually let him get on the field.

But since I can't find stats, here are some notes that you may find interesting here and here and here and some information from Dodge here. This guy has shown something, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about him so much.

I understand what you are saying....But you need to be in practice. Good performance in practice usually translates into playing time. My hope is that they find a spot for him...

Ok, may the rest of your Sunday be superb. My prayer is that we not only play well enough to win, but that we actually win the next game against FIU. For now, should the coaches leave or stay for next season isn't immediately relevant to me ...All I am looking at is a win against FIU. Another win will do a lot of good for the Men, all who are playing their asses off. Go meangreen!

Not necessarily. Last year I took the whole summer off of work. I had a lot of free time on my hands so I went to every single practice. We had this kid , Chatman on our roster. He was by far the best DB we had out there each and every practice , but not once did he see a down. I mean this kid had offers from Wisconsin,Vandy,Northwestern etc and he can't even see a down @ UNT ? Am I a football coach ? No. Do I think I can see when a kid has talent ? Yes

I don't question DeLoach on his schemes , I just have a problem with player evaluation. I'm not sure if he's the one who makes the call or if this falls on the position coaches. I think the DEF has played very good this year and kept us in every game.

Would McCoy make a difference ? i don't know , but from what I've see he has the potential to make an impact. How are we ever going to know if he's sitting on the sidelines. I just think someone like McCoy can do more than who we are putting out on the field

Another topic , did Ira Smith play last night ?

Edited by NT03

Honestly, the whole thing reminds me of the way I felt after the Texas Rangers brought up Sammy Sosa from the minors for the first time and he was lights out, and so they traded him for a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of since.

Ok....I clearly remember the sack in the FAU game

If I am not mistaken he started and played a ton of series against LLU ...what were his stats?

If I am not mistaken he started and played a ton of series against LLU ...what were his stats?

2 solo tackles, 1 assisted tackle. Still that was more than any other DE did that game:

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&CONTENT_ID=118549

A ton? I recall him going in (looked like he was asking to be sent in) late in the game. Still, the trend of the defense coming up with key stops when he plays seemed to continue. And, even if they don't want to call him a "starter", maybe sending him in as "part of the rotation" on the first defensive series would be worth a try. I mean, it's either been giving up a big play (sometimes first play from scrimmage), a long drive, or a short drive (after a fumble recovery in the last game) to result in a touchdown on the first defensive series of every game so far this year. What could trying something different hurt?

A ton? I recall him going in (looked like he was asking to be sent in) late in the game. Still, the trend of the defense coming up with key stops when he plays seemed to continue. And, even if they don't want to call him a "starter", maybe sending him in as "part of the rotation" on the first defensive series would be worth a try. I mean, it's either been giving up a big play (sometimes first play from scrimmage), a long drive, or a short drive (after a fumble recovery in the last game) to result in a touchdown on the first defensive series of every game so far this year. What could trying something different hurt?

Please correct me if I am wrong....Was he not on the field, on the first defensive series against ULL? Did ULL score a touch down on that drive? Just asking... My opinion is that we have an issue on defense at the onset of every game. And methinks Player allocation ain’t it. I hope they use him more often...Somewhere. HE CAN HELP!

Please correct me if I am wrong....Was he not on the field, on the first defensive series against ULL? Did ULL score a touch down on that drive? Just asking... My opinion is that we have an issue on defense at the onset of every game. And methinks Player allocation ain’t it. I hope they use him more often...Somewhere. HE CAN HELP!

No you are right.

Ull 1-10 at Ull14 LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE drive start at 11:48.

Ull 1-10 at Ull14 Streeter, Kevis rush for 5 yards to the ULL19 (Atkinson, S.;Jackson, Kelvin).

Ull 2-5 at Ull19 Masson, Chris pass complete to Streeter, Kevis for 5 yards to the ULL24, 1ST DOWN ULL, out-of-bounds (Penson, A.J.).

Ull 1-10 at Ull24 Spikes, Aaron rush for 3 yards to the ULL27 (McCord, D'Leon), PENALTY ULL holding (Desormeaux, Mat) 10 yards to the ULL17.

Ull 1-17 at Ull17 1st and 17.

Ull 1-17 at Ull17 Streeter, Kevis rush for 4 yards to the ULL21 (McCoy, Brandon).

Ull 2-13 at Ull21 Masson, Chris pass incomplete to Miller, Marlin.

Ull 3-13 at Ull21 Masson, Chris pass complete to Streeter, Kevis for 6 yards to the ULL27 (Jackson, Kelvin;Robertson, C.).

Ull 4-7 at Ull27 PENALTY NT personal foul (Hill, Royce) 15 yards to the ULL42, 1ST DOWN ULL.

Ull 1-10 at Ull42 Masson, Chris pass incomplete to Streeter, Kevis.

Ull 2-10 at Ull42 Streeter, Kevis rush for no gain to the ULL42 (McCoy, Brandon).

Ull 3-10 at Ull42 Masson, Chris pass complete to Falgout, Richie for 22 yards to the NT36, 1ST DOWN ULL (Hill, Royce).

Ull 1-10 at Nt36 Masson, Chris pass complete to Spikes, Aaron for 3 yards to the NT33 (Robertson, C.;Smith, Ira).

Ull 2-7 at Nt33 Masson, Chris pass complete to Falgout, Richie for 26 yards to the NT7, 1ST DOWN ULL (Shorter, John).

Ull 1-G at Nt07 Spikes, Aaron rush for 2 yards to the NT5 (Atkinson, S.;Robertson, C.).

Ull 2-G at Nt05 Spikes, Aaron rush for 2 yards to the NT3 (Jackson, Kelvin;Robertson, C.).

Ull 3-G at Nt03 PENALTY NT personal foul (Atkinson, S.) 2 yards to the NT1, 1ST DOWN ULL.

Ull 1-G at Nt01 Gautier, Blaine rush for 1 yard to the NT0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 06:23.

Albrecht, Tyler kick attempt good.

He had two solo tackles on that drive, one of which put their starting running back Kevis Streeter out of the game, and more importantly, didn't have either of the two personal fouls on the drive that helped ULL cakewalk their way down the field and into the endzone. However, those who did commit them, continue to be allowed to play each and every week.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Please correct me if I am wrong....Was he not on the field, on the first defensive series against ULL? Did ULL score a touch down on that drive? Just asking... My opinion is that we have an issue on defense at the onset of every game. And methinks Player allocation ain't it. I hope they use him more often...Somewhere. HE CAN HELP!

Well, you are correct, although he was not listed among the starters, he was given credit for his 2 unassisted tackes on the first drive which did result in ULL scoring a TD. Both of those tackles were of Kevin Streeter, the first a run for 4 yards, the second for no gain, and the one I have to assume, where Streeter was knocked out of the game. Also, he had credit for an assisted tackle on their first drive of the second half, in which ULL also scored, and in the list of individual defensive statistics he also had our only credit for a blocked pass (I'm assuming that it's for a blocked pass, and not for the blocked field goal at the end of the 3rd quarter, which kept ULL from going up by 17 points, thus keeping us in the game at 14 down, with only the blocked xp kick keeping us from playing in overtime.

I'm thinking you and I not that far apart in our thinking at this point; and I have not really thought McCoy could just go in and produce a game changing sack at will, as he seemed to do in the FAU game. However, we have to give him credit for that, as well as for helping keep us in the ULL game with the blocked FG attempt. Also, if the defensive statistics were indicating a pass block (not the FG block) in that game, I have to consider that some pressure, and it seems that he was in the game when Craig Robertson sacked their QB, forcing them to punt, giving us the possession that we used to bring it within 1 point. Maybe he was causing them to focus on McCoy some, letting Robertson get free for the sack.

Bottom line here, he has made some key plays when he's in the game, although, I must agree with you after looking at the drive charts that we still haven't found what it would take to keep from giving up that touchdown on our opening defensive drive. Really, it would have helped in the last 2 games (when we had the first possession) if our offense had not gone without scoring on our first drive against ULL, (getting it down to their 38 before losing 8 yards on a sack and having to punt), and turned it over with the fumble at our 21 in our opening drive against Arkansas State. And I still maintain that whatever McCoy did or didn't do in the ULL game, that he did enough to play him some against Arkansas State.

The problem is those situations, as I see it, is that we're short handed on offense, and although playing well statistically on defense, our offense is not strong enough to play from behind to start out every game. If our defense and special teams are to step it up, as it must for us to win, we need to have big defensive and special teams plays; McCoy has made at least a couple of those.

Edited by eulessismore

Well, you are correct, although he was not listed among the starters, he was given credit for his 2 unassisted tackes on the first drive which did result in ULL scoring a TD. Both of those tackles were of Kevin Streeter, the first a run for 4 yards, the second for no gain, and the one I have to assume, where Streeter was knocked out of the game. Also, he had credit for an assisted tackle on their first drive of the second half, in which ULL also scored, and in the list of individual defensive statistics he also had our only credit for a blocked pass (I'm assuming that it's for a blocked pass, and not for the blocked field goal at the end of the 3rd quarter, which kept ULL from going up by 17 points, thus keeping us in the game at 14 down, with only the blocked xp kick keeping us from playing in overtime.

I'm thinking you and I not that far apart in our thinking at this point; and I have not really thought McCoy could just go in and produce a game changing sack at will, as he seemed to do in the FAU game. However, we have to give him credit for that, as well as for helping keep us in the ULL game with the blocked FG attempt. Also, if the defensive statistics were indicating a pass block (not the FG block) in that game, I have to consider that some pressure, and it seems that he was in the game when Craig Robertson sacked their QB, forcing them to punt, giving us the possession that we used to bring it within 1 point. Maybe he was causing them to focus on McCoy some, letting Robertson get free for the sack.

Bottom line here, he has made some key plays when he's in the game, although, I must agree with you after looking at the drive charts that we still haven't found what it would take to keep from giving up that touchdown on our opening defensive drive. Really, it would have helped in the last 2 games (when we had the first possession) if our offense had not gone without scoring on our first drive against ULL, (getting it down to their 38 before losing 8 yards on a sack and having to punt), and turned it over with the fumble at our 21 in our opening drive against Arkansas State. And I still maintain that whatever McCoy did or didn't do in the ULL game, that he did enough to play him some against Arkansas State.

The problem is those situations, as I see it, is that we're short handed on offense, and although playing well statistically on defense, our offense is not strong enough to play from behind to start out every game. If our defense and special teams are to step it up, as it must for us to win, we need to have big defensive and special teams plays; McCoy has made at least a couple of those.

Well written....Ditto! I am a fan of his and I respect what he brings. The other guys AK, KC GAINS ETC...Also bring different attributes. What ever it is, I hope they get him more involved in the next game.

Well written....Ditto! I am a fan of his and I respect what he brings. The other guys AK, KC GAINS ETC...Also bring different attributes. What ever it is, I hope they get him more involved in the next game.

Hey, many of us do. I guess we were disappointed to expect, based on what Dodge said Monday, to see him play more last Saturday, rather than completely disappear. Another time when I and others here see things differently from the coaches. And I know those you mentioned did make notable contributions; however, one DE under the "ETC" made one of the strangest defensive plays I have seen anyone at any level of football make. He did get into their backfield (which may have also been their endzone at that time), but maybe forgot the part about pressuring the QB.