Hc Salary

How much SHOULD unt pay a new HC ?

How much WILL unt pay a new HC?

Who could you get as a HC for How Much?

(even a big 12 oc or dc makes some bucks...will not discuss Texas..figures too high, but say a Carl Pelini ..dc at Neb makes $375,000....hey, his brother BO at Neb makes 2.1 million as HC...maybe hire Carl...BO I am sure would help his brother be successful as a HC....interesting !!

How much SHOULD unt pay a new HC ?

How much WILL unt pay a new HC?

Who could you get as a HC for How Much?

(even a big 12 oc or dc makes some bucks...will not discuss Texas..figures too high, but say a Carl Pelini ..dc at Neb makes $375,000....hey, his brother BO at Neb makes 2.1 million as HC...maybe hire Carl...BO I am sure would help his brother be successful as a HC....interesting !!

Should $1M+

Will $500k or less

For should money, you can get a name has-been coach or a current big time program coordinator or assistant.

For will money, you can get a has-been/never-was mid-major coach or a currently successful mid-major coordinator or assistant.

It great to throw around numbers like $1m but not very practical. Unlike SMU which fans ponied up Jones salary, any increase in NT's salaries are going to have to be from new revenues. NT budget is deficient as it is, there is a new stadium to pay for and students fees can only pay for half of it. I can see NT increasing coaches salaries a few hundred thousands but don't think NT will do anymore.

It great to throw around numbers like $1m but not very practical. Unlike SMU which fans ponied up Jones salary, any increase in NT's salaries are going to have to be from new revenues. NT budget is deficient as it is, there is a new stadium to pay for and students fees can only pay for half of it. I can see NT increasing coaches salaries a few hundred thousands but don't think NT will do anymore.

we won't even sniff 400k. if we splurge, then we might get between 325 and 350, but i think we'll end up paying 275 to 300.

that's why leech and fran are out of the question. we wouldn't be able to pay their staff, how would we pay them? we'll hire canales or some "up and coming" coordinator...hopefully they do good.

Edited by Green Crazy

I think it all depends on the status of the program. Our budget should be up to 500-750K for an annual salary. Anything beyond that will probably mean that he has taken NT to uncharted territory and/or our program is in a position to bring in a somewhat big name/high dollar coach to continue the upward trend of the program. But anything up to 750K a year will find you a damn good coach that will take you places.

I think it all depends on the status of the program. Our budget should be up to 500-750K for an annual salary. Anything beyond that will probably mean that he has taken NT to uncharted territory and/or our program is in a position to bring in a somewhat big name/high dollar coach to continue the upward trend of the program. But anything up to 750K a year will find you a damn good coach that will take you places.

i think middle tennessee pays its hc $600,000 per year, while we are a little less that $300,000. which is about average in the belt. i would hope that we would double what we are paying td and get an experienced h.c. i just don't think we can afford to hire an up and coming o.c. with the sad state we find our program in.

We need to be shooting for the area of $1,000,000 or we're are just not serious, we are a big school now and we can figure a way to budget it. We are not that poor. There is a reason we had report on football done, and it was about budget.

Edited by KingDL1

I actually like the salary structure put in place at UTEP with Mike Price. When they first hired him, his contract was very incentive-laden and much of his salary was determined by game attendance, season ticket sales, etc. I think that might be a good way for North Texas to go. We may not be able to provide the kind of cash initially to give a coach a $1M + salary, but if a coach is very confident in his abilities to turn a program around, he might be willing to go for a $500K - $750K with a sliding scale of bonuses based on incentives.

• Upvote 4

I actually like the salary structure put in place at UTEP with Mike Price. When they first hired him, his contract was very incentive-laden and much of his salary was determined by game attendance, season ticket sales, etc. I think that might be a good way for North Texas to go. We may not be able to provide the kind of cash initially to give a coach a $1M + salary, but if a coach is very confident in his abilities to turn a program around, he might be willing to go for a $500K - $750K with a sliding scale of bonuses based on incentives.

Yes.

I heart this post.

i think middle tennessee pays its hc $600,000 per year, while we are a little less that $300,000. which is about average in the belt. i would hope that we would double what we are paying td and get an experienced h.c. i just don't think we can afford to hire an up and coming o.c. with the sad state we find our program in.

I just looked it up and according to one article his pay jumped this year to about 470K/year which is understandable since they had a great season last year. Although up until this year his salary was about 270K. I didn't realize he turned down the ECU and UCF jobs that would have doubled his current salary.

Other than finding a huge donor or donors, something like this is the only way I see the A.D. increasing coaches' salary next year. As Chuck Neinas noted, any increases in cash flow to the A.D. from the new dedicated fee go straight to the new stadium.

Other than finding a huge donor or donors, something like this is the only way I see the A.D. increasing coaches' salary next year. As Chuck Neinas noted, any increases in cash flow to the A.D. from the new dedicated fee go straight to the new stadium.

That confuses me as well. However I think the money to hire a coach comes from the University, so only the BOR can limit how much we can go up to. If you can justify hiring someone with stature, due to increased revenue to the dept then I think it would work.

Someone correct me if not, and let me know what or who sets the salary pay scale

That confuses me as well. However I think the money to hire a coach comes from the University, so only the BOR can limit how much we can go up to. If you can justify hiring someone with stature, due to increased revenue to the dept then I think it would work.

Someone correct me if not, and let me know what or who sets the salary pay scale

I believe the AD has to recommend a contract general amount (salary + perks + increases x years) and the BOR approve it. I think it's usually stated as a "contract to exceed $500K" because with incentives and add-ins it's hard to get an exact amount for a 5 year period. Also, with some schools the assistant's salaries are drawn from a lump sum pool of money, BOR approved but split up how the HC decides by assistant.

I believe the AD has to recommend a contract general amount (salary + perks + increases x years) and the BOR approve it. I think it's usually stated as a "contract to exceed $500K" because with incentives and add-ins it's hard to get an exact amount for a 5 year period. Also, with some schools the assistant's salaries are drawn from a lump sum pool of money, BOR approved but split up how the HC decides by assistant.

So then the Athletic Fee and revenue do not necessarily hamstring us is paying a coach a $1m. We just need the BO to approve our justifications

So then the Athletic Fee and revenue do not necessarily hamstring us is paying a coach a $1m. We just need the BO to approve our justifications

Uh, yeah, but the money still has to come from somewhere, and it's limited to what the A.D. takes in.

What the A.D. takes in severely hamstrings us from paying a coach $1 million/yr.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Uh, yeah, but the money still has to come from somewhere, and it's limited to what the A.D. takes in.

What the A.D. takes in severely hamstrings us from paying a coach $1 million/yr.

Incentives are there to encourage growth though. If you increase season ticket sales, MGC membership, attendance, post season play means (in theory) your revenue streams are increasing, thus providing more money to pay the HC.

Incentives are there to encourage growth though. If you increase season ticket sales, MGC membership, attendance, post season play means (in theory) your revenue streams are increasing, thus providing more money to pay the HC.

Exactly. Which is why I said that, other than finding some big-time donors, an incentive-based package would be the only way we could significantly "increase" the value of any coaching contracts given after this season.

I just looked it up and according to one article his pay jumped this year to about 470K/year which is understandable since they had a great season last year. Although up until this year his salary was about 270K. I didn't realize he turned down the ECU and UCF jobs that would have doubled his current salary.

i don't know about the ucf job, as their present coach has been there 6 years or so. however, he did turn down the memphis job, hense his pay increase at mtsu. thanks for correcting me regarding his present salary, as i couldn't remember the exact amount. we should be able to get an experienced h.c. for that kind of money.