North Texas Future In Football

untjim1995

Lost out on a job to Brady Hoke two years ago, lost out on the UNLV job to Bobby Hauck last year.

He's still cashing A&M checks at least through the end of this year.

The UNLV job he went after paid Hauck $350k in base money and an incentive heavy $150k in potential bonuses for a max of $500k with all incentives being met, in case anyone was wondering.

Can we afford that sort of wage for our next coach? Well... My guess is yes, we almost certainly can. Why? Because of what I read in USA Today back when Dodge was hired:

So, four years ago, with no student fee and no additional new stadium revenue... We managed to put together a base pay and incentive package that could have paid Dodge more than $400k per year. Now, in 2010, can we afford a contract that pays a maximum of $500k per year to lure in Franchione?

I think we can.

If nothing else, we can schedule another "paycheck game" in basketball. A decent paycheck game in basketball can run from $75-100k. Even a relatively crappy payday for a poor team generally grosses $40-60k.

Let me put it this way... I care for my family. I'm fond of my fiancee. But over the past few years, I've come to realize that I LOVE Johnny Jones and North Texas basketball. My greatest fear (after death and bees) is that we'll lose the man because we can't afford to give him a raise if/when he leads us to another NCAA berth this year. I don't want anything to happen that could potentially derail what that man is building with that program.

But if getting Franchione meant one more Kansas game every year in basketball, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

With the student fee kicking in (& yes, I understand what portion of that is going to stadium debt relief for the foreseeable future) and Neinas' recommendation to increase the Athletics budget by an additional 3-4 million a year, I would be dissapointed if we didn't offer a base salary greater than what FIU pays Cristobal (somewhere in the $415,000 range). Honestly, I'd like to see it closer to a half mil base, then add substantial perfomance incentives. That would make us a very attractive destination for a head coach.

With the student fee kicking in (& yes, I understand what portion of that is going to stadium debt relief for the foreseeable future) and Neinas' recommendation to increase the Athletics budget by an additional 3-4 million a year, I would be dissapointed if we didn't offer a base salary greater than what FIU pays Cristobal (somewhere in the $415,000 range). Honestly, I'd like to see it closer to a half mil base, then add substantial perfomance incentives. That would make us a very attractive destination for a head coach.

As I believe The Tasty Greek posted, Dennis Franchione has applied for 2 jobs the last few years that even paid less as I recall the post and the salaries.

IMO if we need to get another coach and......... we get a name coach, he has to guarantee UNT 5 years and a $1,000,000 buyout clause if one of the Big Boys comes after him on or before Year 5. Don't know how that would play out in the legal system, but if we lose one prematurely we ought to still win at the bank with a huge buyout clause.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

For the record, I don't think June Jones stays at SMU much longer. In fact, after he takes them to another bowl game this year, I think Pac-10 schools with vacancies are going to be ringing him up.

I still say we need a proven program builder. In that regard, I'd put guys like Franchione, Glen Mason, Steve Logan, and Jeff Bowers at the top of the list. Those guys will have ties for good assistants and recruits all over the country.

SMU may just money whip June Jones. If the boosters love JJ that much then I think they will be willing to increase his salary to say 2.5-3 million a year and I am not sure what other school would be willing to pay that much. Only way I see JJ leaving anytime soon is the fact that he legitimately wants to go to a BCS program and won't mind taking less money to go.

SMU may just money whip June Jones. If the boosters love JJ that much then I think they will be willing to increase his salary to say 2.5-3 million a year and I am not sure what other school would be willing to pay that much. Only way I see JJ leaving anytime soon is the fact that he legitimately wants to go to a BCS program and won't mind taking less money to go.

June Jones signed a two-year extension before this season that takes him to 2014. No mention of any raise. The things that will push him to look elsewhere is for a program that has better home attendance and statewide support, a program in an AQ conference with auto access to a BCS Bowl, and National media; all things he can't get at Smut.

http://www.cusa-fans.com/articles/cusa-football-2010/june-jones-signs-extension-with-smu_083110.html

June Jones signed a two-year extension before this season that takes him to 2014. No mention of any raise. The things that will push him to look elsewhere is for a program that has better home attendance and statewide support, a program in an AQ conference with auto access to a BCS Bowl, and National media; all things he can't get at Smut.

http://www.cusa-fans...smu_083110.html

All these things can change especially if JJ leads his team to another bowl which will pretty much happen. I think you are jumping the gun on saying that SMU can't get the national media etc. They have been bad for so long that it is going to take time to build some goodwill. If SMU consistently wins and become a top 25 program the national media and visibility will change including attendance. As far as statewide support I am not sure how much they will get when they are up against the Big 12. TCU is a top 5 team and I wouldn't say they get a ton of statewide support. Support is going to come from their alumni base and their fans which ultimately will carry over over if they can get their program somewhere similar to where TCU sits.