Chase Baine

jtm0097

What kind of story, indeed. It would be yet another chapter in what has turned out to be one of the strangest Mean Green seasons I can recall. I would love nothing better than to see this team rally around Chase as their QB and make it happen again this week as they did against FAU a couple of weeks ago. Can happen...yes, I do believe in the Mean Green. This team may not have shown me the wins as yet, but they darn sure have shown me the heart of a champion.

Good luck to Chase and all the Mean Green players and coaches this week against Arkie State!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3

Can someone give us a rundown of what to expect from Baine and what kind of experience he has? Was he projected as a QB and going to redshirt this year or was he recruited for a different position?

Walk-on from Lake Dallas where he played WR and QB. I first noticed him in a spring game making a diving catch over the middle. I think it was for a TD,...... and it was in heavy traffic.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=9053&SPID=562&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=1419432&Q_SEASON=2010

Former baseball player, should have a good arm.

I've been told by a few from Lake Dallas that last years QB CHASE BAINE from a very strong playoff team wants to come play football for the MEAN GREEN. He was offered "ships" from Navy and Air Force last year but did not want the 5 year tour of duty after. He is a two sport guy who signed to play baseball for Sam Houston State. The coaches from LD say he misses football and wants to play receiver or D-back. Hope TD looks at him. Maybe a walk-on tryout and let him earn a "SHIP".
-saysojoe 12-17-07

Been with the team since Spring of 08. That means he has been through 3 offseasons, he is not as new to the program as some think.

Pass and play of the day was the Baine 55 yards to Dickerson who made a good catch down the middle and fought off the D backs for the TD.
-saysojoe 3-10-09

I'm guessing he can throw farther than Riley?

the O did look great, could be something special this year. just need to sprinkle a little D in there and who knows. dodge solid solid number 1. baine got all the snaps with 2nd team and really looked good, very surprised at that....where was tune? sick, hurt?? optimism is building folks

-NTEX1990 8-14-09

I saw Baine in limited action. He moves great , but I noticed he hasn't gotten down just how to protect the ball. He kept it away from his body, below his waist with one hand on it while scrambling

-NT03 8-22-09

^^Last sentence could be an issue.

Riley- has a strong arm- he can zip the ball, very accurate. Riley did have a QB draw that would have been a big gainer. Tune looked very good. He can run the offense. Baine is a deceptive runner. Thompson looks to be a very good QB for the future.
-Censored by Laurie 8-24-09

^^concerning when Riley is listed as having a strong arm and the others aren't.

I know that he lacks experience, but what's the knock on Baine if he has a good arm and is a good strong runner? If there isn't a serious physical (or above the shoulders) negative to his being a QB, then why hasn't he seemed to be a serious contender for the job all along? Just wondering if anyone on the board has a more complete evaluation of the guy's skills. If he turns out to be a gamer, people are REALLY going to have some questions in regard to our staff's evaluative skills.

I know that he lacks experience, but what's the knock on Baine if he has a good arm and is a good strong runner? If there isn't a serious physical (or above the shoulders) negative to his being a QB, then why hasn't he seemed to be a serious contender for the job all along? Just wondering if anyone on the board has a more complete evaluation of the guy's skills. If he turns out to be a gamer, people are REALLY going to have some questions in regard to our staff's evaluative skills.

I think the only reason Teegarden wasn't in the running is because he is a true freshman. He seems like a solid QB recruit. I don't know the story on Baine -- besides having three quality QB going into the season should be enough and they wanted his ability elsewhere for the year.

I don't really follow this criticism. We are in no way worse off at QB. Under the previous coach we started a walk-on safety, then had the 4A state champ, then back to the walk-on. Then a QB dropout. We effectively had one good QB recruit and he wasn't at the top of the HS world either, but he was a quality game managing QB. He didn't light up the scoreboard or win games on his raw ability.

I think recruiting Vizza, Dodge, Thompson and Teegarden should be enough QB talent in four years. It isn't like we went into the season knowing we would be starting the walk-on fourth stringer.

hmmmm

I think that I know the answer to these questions as to why Chase and Teagarden are not listed as QB's.

QB's listed at 6' exactly:

Riley

Chase Baine

Teagarden

QB's listed at 6'4"

Derek Thompson

Nathan Tune

We all know that Riley's height has been a question mark all along. I have a feeling that the same standard applies to Chase and Teagarden. But, Chase and Teagarden did not come in as 3 star athletes.

Edited by akriesman

I think that I know the answer to these questions as to why Chase and Teagarden are not listed as QB's.

QB's listed at 6' exactly:

Riley

Chase Baine

Teagarden

QB's listed at 6'4"

Derek Thompson

Nathan Tune

We all know that Riley's height has been a question mark all along. I have a feeling that the same standard applies to Chase and Teagarden. But, Chase and Teagarden did not come in as 3 star athletes.

I know for a fact that Riley is not close to 6 ft. I am 6'1" and he is much shorter than me as compared in person.

I know for a fact that Riley is not close to 6 ft. I am 6'1" and he is much shorter than me as compared in person.

I think that Riley and Chase are about the same height. I was watching them stand next to each other during halftime of the last game.

Yeah, neither of them looked 6'. Chase is a beefy kid though.

BTW, I sat next to Chase's family last game. I know that one way or another, Chase will make them proud this saturday.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1