Question: If Tcu Goes To Big East Is That Good For North Texas?

Harry

I think you would go. Sun Belt games are never on TV so it would be the same with mtn (we'd be on tv but nobody in DFW could watch). It would be a step up in image but I'd like to see how the numbers work out. Is there enough extra $$$ to offset travel costs? Can you plan on Boise (or somebody else) getting to BCS every so often to get a share of that money.

I think you take a very long look at the numbers for travel, and if they work, you have to consider it. But where do you go from there? And are you going to build the program with those teams coming to your house? I just think that UNT needs to think state/regional as far as their conference, and the MWC is way out there. Just not a fan of the Pacific/Mountain time zone conferences for UNT. CUSA is a much better fit.

• Upvote 1

seriously is it even a question????????

of course you go to the MWC, but I however see it playing out differently.

TCU decides to go will be the new schools in a revamped Big East bringing them to 10 teams. This will leave MWC with 9 teams and will offer Houston maybe Utep to regain balance. CUSA will be looking to add 1 member to replace Houston, either a Sunbelt school, or La Tech. Hopefully we will get the nod over La Tech.

Also keep in mind that Temple could leave the MAC and could offer WKU or MTSU

and dont forget that the WAC are desperate to add any FBS schools that miss out. If the SB gets raided possibly loosing Troy, MTSU, ULL, and WKU im not sure we shouldnt atleast consider joining TxSt and UTSA in a WAC we could easily be crowned champions regularly in a new stadium.

so to me it if you look at the percentages id say...

50% we go to CUSA

25% we stay in the SB

25% we join the WAC

let me know what you think ... GMG

I think you take a very long look at the numbers for travel, and if they work, you have to consider it. But where do you go from there? And are you going to build the program with those teams coming to your house? I just think that UNT needs to think state/regional as far as their conference, and the MWC is way out there. Just not a fan of the Pacific/Mountain time zone conferences for UNT. CUSA is a much better fit.

i would personally rather go see us play UNM, WYOMING, CSU, or any MWC member over the best of the SB.

and atleast we would get to see some games on TV if we joined the MWC

CUSA is not a choice in this debate. It is Belch or Mtn Waste. Let's see who would be coming to dinner.

Air Force: bet they bring some folks and we get free fly over

Colorado St: casual fans have heard of them

Boise St: unlike before, now a household name

New Mexico: bet they have some DFW alumni

The rest: probably travel as well as Troy or Muts

As far as our fan travel, if you can't find cheap air fare to Reno or LV, you aren't trying. Albacrackie is easy. Fresno, Boise and CSU might be challenging.

Like Jim, I would not like the time zone. But it would be a step up especially if Boise can keep bringing home the BCS bacon. Very tough call.

If TCU leaves the MWC I don't see any CUSA team leaving. Why would you leave the CUSA to go to MWC. MWC just lost 3 of its best schools. UTEP might go but that would be it.

One thing to watch out for is if TCU leaves, is for a MWC/WAC merger. Hawaii and/or La Tech would probably leave the WAC and then the leftovers of both conferences would join together. I saw this mentioned on a blog in the Idaho paper. The article mentioned the MWC commish thinks there is only enough room for one western FBS conference after the Pac-12.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2010/09/30/bmurphy/reports_tcu_discussing_move_big_east

i would personally rather go see us play UNM, WYOMING, CSU, or any MWC member over the best of the SB.

and atleast we would get to see some games on TV if we joined the MWC

Personally, I would LOVE this!!! CSU, Wyo, and Air Force are all a 2 hour or less drive from my house.

If we are so lucky as to have it happen, I'll be more than happy to host a tailgate or two a year. B)

TCU goes big East. Mountain West offers SMU. They decline politely. Mountain West calls us. What do we do?

First, I don't see the Big East offering TCU, but stranger things have happened. A MWC offer to Smut will never happen. MWC offers to Houston and/or UTEP may happen. Would Houston accept without TCU in it?

If UNT gets a MWC offer we have to take it, and smile the whole time doing it! I've never been sold on the SBC as a long-term conference home for UNT. We need to move up the food chain asap.

TCU goes big East. Mountain West offers SMU. They decline politely. Mountain West calls us. What do we do?

Uh, we get in any conference that has the present #4 team in the top 10. That kind of ranked opponent gives North Texas a better barometer for success to aim toward than any league we've been in to date.

We jump at it! Who wouldn't? Turn Neinas Loose For UNT On All This!

And then when University of Houston sees that CUSA is not going to ever have a Top 10 ranked school year in and year out like the MWC could have, they jump in with a fellow Texas public university! :blink: Of course, UH could be asked first out of pecking order respect. Ain't re-alignment talk fun! :argue:

GMG!

Scenario II: TCU goes Big East, SMU Goes MWC, then UNT goes CUSA. Wala! Either way we are ahead of where we are and there is not ONE SBC school who would turn down a similar opportunity if offered to them, either. As some of us said 25 plus years ago, "it would be amazing what a spanking new Major College FB stadium would do for our football program's upwardly bound possibilities. :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I don't think SMU would turn down the invite, but if they did, we go. The MWC is much better then the Belt. It's not even close. Air Force, Colorado State, Boise, Fresno, UNLV, Nevada, San Diego State, Wyoming, and New Mexico are better for North Texas.

I don't think SMU would turn down the invite, but if they did, we go. The MWC is much better then the Belt. It's not even close. Air Force, Colorado State, Boise, Fresno, UNLV, Nevada, San Diego State, Wyoming, and New Mexico are better for North Texas.

And North Texas would be better for the MWC than SMU. Comparing each of our respective constituencies makes it a slam dunk for UNT.

Let them check all the present day demagraphics as far as TV rankings drawing power is concerned, ie, how many TV sets by the school who has the most alumnus living in DFW for starters.

Let them come see a ranked SMU football team at Ford when they are playing a school who does not bring traveling fans. That would be the answer for them and the clincher for us, that is, if sound and logical reason would actually rule the day.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If RV gets a call from Craig Thompson, the first words out of his mouth... Even before "Hello"... Should be "WE ACCEPT THE INVITE."

If he's calling for any other reason, maybe he'll feel guilted into taking us due to the 'confusion'.

Yes to the MWC. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'd rather go there than CUSA, honestly.

CUSA is not a choice in this debate. It is Belch or Mtn Waste. Let's see who would be coming to dinner.

Air Force: bet they bring some folks and we get free fly over

Colorado St: casual fans have heard of them

Boise St: unlike before, now a household name

New Mexico: bet they have some DFW alumni

The rest: probably travel as well as Troy or Muts

As far as our fan travel, if you can't find cheap air fare to Reno or LV, you aren't trying. Albacrackie is easy. Fresno, Boise and CSU might be challenging.

Like Jim, I would not like the time zone. But it would be a step up especially if Boise can keep bringing home the BCS bacon. Very tough call.

flights to vegas are no longer cheap. we go a couple of times a year and the flights are 350-400 each...too damn much.

The reason I don't like the thought of SMU and TCU getting to bigger conferences is for basketball recruiting. Eventually TCU is going to outrecruit UNT in basketball if they're in the Big East or Big XII

Not sure I totally agree. Obviously we know that Big East is a dominant basketball conference but I don't know if they will necessarily take away our recruits. Both schools can have good basketball teams without them killing each other IMO.