Big East Targeting Tcu ?

MeanGreen61

Having survived the most recent wave of expansion intact, the Big East Conference is studying ways to bolster its position and has targeted TCU as very attractive candidate to help strengthen its football league, The Post has learned.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_has_interest_in_tcu_6GTZTxC9I2fssdAib7x6KK#ixzz10rbKFb00

Yeah, lets open up Texas HS recruiting to the entire eastern seaboard.

I think that is one wild realignment idea--the wildest yet. They better stick with Villanova and Hofstra, :blink: ya' think?

GMG!

PS Of course, that would leave DFW open for a MWC slot and now we do not have to worry about a damn football/track stadium holding us back anymore.

GMG!!

Here we go again.....re-alignment talk! :lol:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

There have always been small rumblings about the possibility of the Big East expanding westward and getting a team or maybe two in Texas. TCU would fit the bill perfectly but if they went then I think TCU wouldn't be opposed to a traveling partner from this region. I just wish NT had the capacity to get into these kinds of discussions.

Not sure what to think about that, assuming it happens. It would definitely be a step up for TCU, but it would be a geographical nightmare. A football-only membership might be a good possibility.

But this would open up possibilities for UNT. If the Big East were to take TCU, would the Mountain West look to the state of Texas for a replacement? If so, I would imagine Houston, SMU, and probably UTEP would be ahead of us. But if they did take one of them, that would open up a spot in C-USA. At that point, it would be best if the Mountain West had taken SMU, because C-USA would need UNT to maintain a presence in the DFW market.

There have always been small rumblings about the possibility of the Big East expanding westward and getting a team or maybe two in Texas. TCU would fit the bill perfectly but if they went then I think TCU wouldn't be opposed to a traveling partner from this region. I just wish NT had the capacity to get into these kinds of discussions.

Too long a teacher's college mentality from our leaders the last 50 plus year might be a reason we're not in these discussions plus our forever MG football program roller coaster ride too (w/o many wins during that period and no Top 25 ranking at all).

Of course, waiting till almost armageddon and the apocalpse to build a new stadium may be another. Think where we'd be if we'd built it 25 years ago when we could have much cheaper?

For you who trashed Chuck Neinas, this is where someone of his stature can be helpful to a school like North Texas, ie, like his being our friend because he does have many more friends in NCAA high places (conference commissioners, etc....) than anyone in Denton could ever dream of having. And he can be an unbiased representative of ours where anyone from Denton trying to get in these discussions would be doing so somewhat biased to our institution of higher learning.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

From 2 TCU fans on their message board:

I fear that SEC might expand east and take a couple from ACC. The ACC will scoop up WVU and Pitt. Or, the Big Ten will expand to 14 and take Pitt and Rutgers. The Big East would then take Southern Miss and East Carolina and walla--we are back in Conference USA.

Exactly. The Big East is a joke right now and is on life support. Moving to the Big East would be a bad decision.

GMG!

From 2 TCU fans on their message board:

I fear that SEC might expand east and take a couple from ACC. The ACC will scoop up WVU and Pitt. Or, the Big Ten will expand to 14 and take Pitt and Rutgers. The Big East would then take Southern Miss and East Carolina and walla--we are back in Conference USA.

Exactly. The Big East is a joke right now and is on life support. Moving to the Big East would be a bad decision.

Sounds alot like our reasoning for not going to the WAC.

Sounds alot like our reasoning for not going to the WAC.

If the WAC were an autobid conference, we'd have been idiots not to jump at it.

If TCU gets an offer from an autobid, even the rickety and weak-sister Big East, they'll be gone from the MWC in less than a heartbeat.

For us, the recruiting benefit of a conference promotion to C-USA is probably outweighed by the damage to our local ecosystem once 16 sharks from the Big East get yet another inducement to lure away local talent. Another set of potential challenges for our sustained basketball success if this comes to pass...

I read the first two posts in this thread then jumped to Killer Frogs to see their thoughts. They have much the same reasoning we had about the WAC. For us the WAC is a step back to the Big West and for them an expected raid for the ACC and the Big East is them going back to CUSA. To quote Joefrog91, "Exactly. The Big East is a joke right now and is on lif support. Moving to the Big East would be a bad decision."

The thread is titled "The Big Least Wants Us."

Here is their thread.

There is also a thread from a West Virgina fan called "Stay in the MWC. Do Yourself a favor."

I think most TCU fans consider the Big East the conference most likely to lose it's auto bid status to the Mountain West. I'm not so sure about that, but I am sure when the BCS contract is up and reworked in a few years it will be a LOT different than today.

Edited by VideoEagle

If the WAC were an autobid conference, we'd have been idiots not to jump at it.

If TCU gets an offer from an autobid, even the rickety and weak-sister Big East, they'll be gone from the MWC in less than a heartbeat.

Agree with this. The Big East is one of the Big Six, they'd be crazy not to accept. The MWC is not the same without Utah and BYU. The MWC would have been close to gaining an AQ spot, but not now. I think TCU would bolt to greener fields if offered.

Edited by NT80

Agree with this. The Big East is one of the Big Six, they'd be crazy not to accept. The MWC is not the same without Utah and BYU. The MWC would have been close to gaining an AQ spot, but not now. I think TCU would bolt to greener fields if offered.

The Utah exit is fully negated by the Boise State entrance to the MWC, IMO. Otherwise I'd be inclined to agree.

But look what happened last week. TCU won but dropped a spot in the polls.

TCU has proven they don't care about travel. They want a National Championship.

Right now, going undefeated in the Big East gets them there. Going undefeated in the MWC does not.

Very good points. But if they were in the Big East and barely beat an unranked conference mate who already had a loss to another unranked team they would also drop.

I'm not certain going undefeated in the Big East gets you into the NC unless you defeat someone else. Have any Big East Teams ever been in the NC game? I'm tired and typing during a break from a TV show and don't feel like looking it up right now so I really am asking the question!

Now, TCU fans on Killer Frogs don't get to choose their conference, but they were unhappy with both the WAC and CUSA before they jumped. There appears to be a plurality still happy with MWC right now. Big 10, SEC, PAC whatever or especially the Big 12 and I think they don't hesitate. ACC or Big East, it's certainly an upgrade but not as easy a choice.

I think most TCU fans want to be back in a conference with UT and A&M because they feel cheated out of being invited to the Big 12.

Very good points. But if they were in the Big East and barely beat an unranked conference mate who already had a loss to another unranked team they would also drop.

I'm not certain going undefeated in the Big East gets you into the NC unless you defeat someone else. Have any Big East Teams ever been in the NC game? I'm tired and typing during a break from a TV show and don't feel like looking it up right now so I really am asking the question!

Now, TCU fans on Killer Frogs don't get to choose their conference, but they were unhappy with both the WAC and CUSA before they jumped. There appears to be a plurality still happy with MWC right now. Big 10, SEC, PAC whatever or especially the Big 12 and I think they don't hesitate. ACC or Big East, it's certainly an upgrade but not as easy a choice.

I think most TCU fans want to be back in a conference with UT and A&M because they feel cheated out of being invited to the Big 12.

Undefeated in the Big East may not get them in the National Title game, but it does guarantee a BCS bowl.

If the Big East extends an invite, TCU will accept it. The MWC would invite SMU or maybe UNT, because they won't want to lose the 5th largest media market in the country. If they take SMU, we will go to C-USA. They won't want to lose the DFW market either.

Good luck TCU. I hope the Big East adds you.

That would be the smartest move the Big East could make but they have about 48 hours. Don't think TCU think about it too much. This gives the BE an inroad into the Texas market for recruiting. TCU gets the autobid. BE gets a top 5 program. TCU gets east coast press (ala Dallas Cowboys). BE gains immediate stature and TCU renews rivalries with Louisville and Cincy.

Oh yeah and my main reason for wanting this move - UNT fights for that MWC spot!

GMG

That would be the smartest move the Big East could make but they have about 48 hours. Don't think TCU think about it too much. This gives the BE an inroad into the Texas market for recruiting. TCU gets the autobid. BE gets a top 5 program. TCU gets east coast press (ala Dallas Cowboys). BE gains immediate stature and TCU renews rivalries with Louisville and Cincy.

Oh yeah and my main reason for wanting this move - UNT fights for that MWC spot!

GMG

Pretty much sums it up. I think TCU makes the move if they get offered. I am willing to bet that there will be mutual interest here. As for TCU trying to get back with UT, A&M etc, it ain't ever gonna happen so we can kiss t hat pipe dream goodbye.

I think the frogs jump at the bid.

The prob they face right now is the BCS is only required to take on non aq team. Even if they run the table, if they are not ranked above Boise there is a chance they dont get a bid at all. It seems improbable that the BCS would shun them...but this is the BCS we are talking about...and if the Irish can somehow finish in the top 14 (or whatever their magic number is), the #5 Frogs will likely be playing in Vegas or the Pointsetta.

For that reason I think they get the AQ bid if they can.

Undefeated in the Big East may not get them in the National Title game, but it does guarantee a BCS bowl.

If the Big East extends an invite, TCU will accept it. The MWC would invite SMU or maybe UNT, because they won't want to lose the 5th largest media market in the country. If they take SMU, we will go to C-USA. They won't want to lose the DFW market either.

Good luck TCU. I hope the Big East adds you.

That 1939 SMU NCAA football championship (now 71 years ago) will always give the edge to SMU when compared to us. I know--how freakin' nuts that is but it is the mindset of those in such leagues as the Big East (and most the others for that matter). I'm trying to determine how many seats that '39 SMU NC puts in Ford when they play schools who don't bring traveling fans? :lol:

Of course, we still merely speculate but.........this is where ex UNT consultant & friend Chuck Neinas could plead our case among his NCAA friends if it gets to that level to where UNT is considered. It's just been our few impressive wins (unless you count a down TTech football program) that will keep biting us in the ar$e. We've had no Top 25 team and even the Pony Expre$$ (as illegal as it became) was still ranked in the Top 10 in the early 80's.

Addendum: Isn't it amazing how even SMU's Death Penaly and their numerous NCAA violations before that is not a deal-breaker when it comes to their acceptance among conference power-brokers? Is this where we've gone wrong at UNT? We've been flagrantly honest all the time? :huh::)

The potential of SMU versus UNT are still night and day as far as the numbers go.

(1) if the MWC wants the DFW TV market it is UNT that will be able to deliver the most TV sets (and subsequent viewers) in this market compared to SMU, but who at UNT will give them the proven stats on that? Begin with Cathy Harasta, formerly of the Dallas Morning News who wrote a blurb on our ratings success. SUMG sent me the article on that years ago I've since lost.

(2) if the MWC will only look at all our various constituencies,ie, UNT's continually growing enrollment, UNT DFW alumnus numbers (100K?) plus Denton County--our true home base with approx. 600,000 pop. That is the market Neinas wants us to focus on anyway.

(3)...and maybe this one very hidden element........DFW Airport and, yes, even Alliance Airports proximity to our new Mean Green Stadium.

But such reasoning will not rule the day when it comes to the NCAA power-brokers who will still think about what happened 60 plus years ago at a given school. Maybe one day that will change, and thats when we will be dressed to the hilt and be ready to go to the NCAA prom, but until then its just another crap shoot.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

An SMU and TCU jump to the Big East would help North Texas. Isn't Conference headquartered in Irving Texas ?

And who, besides each other, would be the nearest conference opponent ?

No more injuries

Beat Louisiana

GO MEAN GREEN

Doesn't matter how far their opponents are. They are going to a superior overall conference with a lot of history and prestige. Having your opponents close is the worst idea you can do because if fans want to travel then they will make it happen. If not then I'm not going to risk a couple of hundred of our fans traveling and miss out on an opportunity that will virtually be priceless.

Some of the Frog elect on their smack board already think it's a done deal, ie, this Big East thing. If so......can you blame them for not biting at it?

The best part of all this if they do leave is that we will have non-stop re-alignment threads on GMG.com during football season :blink: and the La Tech folks will start packing their bags for CUSA (they think)! :lol:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

But look what happened last week. TCU won but dropped a spot in the polls.

TCU has proven they don't care about travel. They want a National Championship.

Right now, going undefeated in the Big East gets them there. Going undefeated in the MWC does not.

Don't think so. TCU dropped a spot because they played weak against an unranked SMOO, not because of the conference they are in. Both Boise and TCU are closer to a national championship than the Big East Champ without being in an autobid conference. The only advantage the BE champ has is an automatic bid to a BCS game. The Big East champ hasn't played for the national championship in recent memory.