James Hamilton

Cooley

Of the choices left at QB, I'd rather see James Hamilton @QB. Hamilton replaced William Cole as QB at Cedar Hill his Sr Year and was very good. If we are left with a QB to hand of or run with the ball, Hamilton is clearly better!

I really like Hamilton @ RB. I'd go with Willie Taylor if we needed an emergency QB. I'd really like to see phillips , but he's too valuable on the other side of the ball

Edited by NT03

Yes, if we change our offensive style then James Hamilton might well be a top candidate. His main drawback is height. He definitely has the speed and apparently an effective arm. He did an outstanding job at Cedar Hill.

If we opt to go that route we might also consider Darius Carey. He had a good completion rate and was the leading runner among quarterbacks in the New Orleans area as a senior.

Either might be better than our present alternatives but do we have the coaches for that style?

does anyone really believe that TD will pull Riley out of his starting position now that he has been thrust back into the starter position?

Get ready for a long year of zone reads where Riley runs more than Dunbar

This may sound brutal, but since we've lost 2 starting QB's in 2 games with season ending injuries, it may not be a decision for TD to make, especially with Riley's injury history. Maybe the more important question: who are 2, 3, and 4 on the QB depth chart now?

Of the choices left at QB, I'd rather see James Hamilton @QB. Hamilton replaced William Cole as QB at Cedar Hill his Sr Year and was very good. If we are left with a QB to hand of or run with the ball, Hamilton is clearly better!

Emmitt and I and several others have talked about this since the begining of training camp. He should have been getting some reps in practice since the week after the Clemson game. But then that would make a bit of sense? We can't even seem to get our All Conference RB into the mix, so I'm not going to hold out any hope that Hamilton will start to see QB reps.

Hey, we saw at least twice yesterday that we are still convinced that for a fourth season in a row, that it's best to attempt to run for a badly needed one yard, from a distance of 5 yards back?

Hamilton not getting QB reps and Dunbar not getting the ball lies right in there with all the other confusing gestimations I have about our players and this program, including:

Danny Meager being benched two weeks after setting a school passing record?

Dominique Green being punished/cut from the team for improper language on the sidelines of a game?

Joseph Miller, despite giving his all ON THE FIELD, much less defending his coaches OFF OF IT and putting a lid on what could have turned out to be a horrible mess for this university, being told his efforts weren't enough for a medical waiver application after getting injured his senior year? And at what position has this team lacked the most depth in since '07?

Edrick Gilmore playing half the season as a D tackle rather than D End due to some punishment/lesson tactic being placed on him, then getting moved to D end towards the end of the season and proving that was where he would have been most affective after all?

Kyle White and Daniel Pryor playing affectively on defense against what would eventually become the voted National Champions in Alabama, then rarely seeing the field again the rest of the season?

Nathan Tune playing well against Alabama and rarely playing the rest of the season?

The lack of the use of a fullback or tightend on a regular basis, especially on short yardage?

Kyle White and Richard Abbey, to name but just two of many, not getting any playing time yesterday during a blowout when we are so badly in need for all of our backups to get reps and prepare to step up due to current injuries and surely more that will come in the future?

A defensive end/tightend size body in Bynes returning punts when we have a plethora of smaller speed guys with prior experience to choose from?

Derek Thompson's three plays in the ASU game?

and on and on and on.........

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Joseph Miller, despite giving his all ON THE FIELD, much less defending his coaches OFF OF IT and putting a lid on what could have turned out to be a horrible mess for this university, being told his efforts weren't enough for a medical waiver application after getting injured his senior year? And at what position has this team lacked the most depth in since '07?

And, not to pile on...

But as I recall, Miller was also short of the credits he needed to graduate. The guy wanted to stick around here not only to continue to contribute to our football team, but also to finish his education. And Miller never took a traditional redshirt. He used 4 years of eligibility in 4 years on the roster. We wouldn't have been asking for the more difficult 6th year exemption.

Also, it bears mentioning that the year we decided not to bother filing for a medical redshirt that Joe Miller specifically asked for and wanted very badly... We had Riley Dodge suffer a concussion that kept him from playing the last 3/4ths of the year. But it didn't keep him from practicing.

Riley got a medical hardship waiver that year, so it isn't like we couldn't find the forms or didn't know how to fill them out properly.

Another two to add to the list.

After this year we lose Craig Robertson at LB. So instead of grooming one of our young talents in Daniel Prior to take his place, or somewhere within the LB rotation, we instead move him to the offense to play a position we rarely even use in the first place, H back?

Draylon Ross, maybe THE ONLY NFL size body we have had out there at the Defensive End position since Adrian Awasome. So we spend his 4 years here switching him back and forth, back and forth to a position that other than as a blocker we rarely use as well, at tight end?

Rick

does anyone really believe that TD will pull Riley out of his starting position now that he has been thrust back into the starter position?

If Riley is our starting QB...we will never win another game the rest of the season. First of all, has anyone actually seen him in person...he is about 5' 8". I have often wondered why he has had so many passes batted down, and has hit so many lineman in the back with the ball. Now I know...

More importantly, we did not win when he was our QB. He tucks and runs too much...probably because he is afraid of getting hit. At the Army game he slid (in bounds, of course) and missed the 1st down by one yard. There was not even a defender there, really, he just slid. If you are going to do that, at least pick up the first down young man.

Also, I remember a plethora (my NT education! :D) of people giving me a hard time because I was concerned about his injury situation and questioning whether he could hold up to the rigors of Div I-A football. Well...anybody not wondering about that now?? Did I mention he was, like, 5-8??

If I were the coaches...I would do something drastic. I mean hell...you having so many pieces missing anyway...not like shifting focus will be that disruptive since you have so many new players now.

• Upvote 1

If Riley is our starting QB...we will never win another game the rest of the season. First of all, has anyone actually seen him in person...he is about 5' 8". I have often wondered why he has had so many passes batted down, and has hit so many lineman in the back with the ball. Now I know...

More importantly, we did not win when he was our QB. He tucks and runs too much...probably because he is afraid of getting hit. At the Army game he slid (in bounds, of course) and missed the 1st down by one yard. There was not even a defender there, really, he just slid. If you are going to do that, at least pick up the first down young man.

Also, I remember a plethora (my NT education! :D) of people giving me a hard time because I was concerned about his injury situation and questioning whether he could hold up to the rigors of Div I-A football. Well...anybody not wondering about that now?? Did I mention he was, like, 5-8??

If I were the coaches...I would do something drastic. I mean hell...you having so many pieces missing anyway...not like shifting focus will be that disruptive since you have so many new players now.

Not to defend RD but NT has not been able to win too much with any freshman or sophmore QBs in the last four years.

Vizza (fresh/soph), RD (R/fresh), Thompson (soph) now RD again. Not too much luck with Tune either but then his only starts were against Alabama, Clemson and Rice.

Nothing personal to anyone but I think it would be nice to have a QB not quit or get injured for the rest of the season for a change.

To FFR: nice post.....but how many of those changes were due to other players getting injured etc. if any??? There have been so many changes, injuries, grade problems, racial allegations.....dang (not to steal one of PMG's words), I have lost track.

I just hope that RD does not go down in the FAU game.

One last note I heard that Pepto Bismol and TUMMS are bidding for naming rights to the new stadium.

Let me start off by admitting my ignorance concerning the Riley Dodge at QB last year. I fought and argued with most of you in his defense. I really thought he was going to turn this program around (along with his dad). I was wrong. It's obvious to me now that he can't lead this thing. Nothing personal just the fact. He doesn't have the arm strength needed to spread the defense. He isn't tall enough to see over the linemen. He makes terrible decisions with the football.

With him under center it's going to be very difficult for me to look forward to our homes games the rest of the year. I've seen this offense before and it hurts to watch; unless Dunbar gets going. I can't imagine Hamilton or Carey doing much better but heck, I'd be more excited about watching them try.

I do believe that Riley had enough arm strength, prior to his shoulder injury(s). At this point, the kid has been thrown into a really bad situation.

We will somehow have to take some shots downfield, just to keep the defenses honest. Even option teams like Army have to throw it downfield on occassion. FAU's defensive coordinater has got to be licking his chops.

No, I don't think we will see anyone else at QB until if and when something happens to Riley.

Completely agree on the slide right before the first down marker...

The only problem with these coaches doing something drastic is that I am not sure they have the ability to do that - I mean if you can't fix your Special Teams in 3+ years then your ability to "change" might be challenged.

I feel for Riley - He's been thrown in an impossible situation here. Succeed where you've been unable to succeed to date and now do it with less physical ability or your dad loses his job. The mental pressure this must be putting on him is a bigger reason than his ability or athletic strenghts and weaknesses are for getting him out of the situation if possible. However, I don't think we really have an option right this second.

Hopefully given this set of weapons, Coach Canales who so many here think so much of, can work the offence around this player and this set of circumstances to give us a fighting chance.

My heart goes out to Riley. He's in a tough spot.

• Upvote 2