Are You Willing To Donate More If We Get A High Profile Coach?

Bundy

For those of us that are MGC Members (or thinking of joining), are you willing to donate more if we get a high profile coach, like a Mike Leach? OR If we hire another coach like a Dodge or Dickey, will you keep your donation the same or less????

Personally for me, I have reduced my MGC donation based upon the performance of the football team, right or wrong....that is my reasoning. If we hired someone like Leach (high profile), I am willing to make a pledge to increase my MGC donation.

To answer the question posed by this topic, UNT doesn't get another dollar of my money until Dodge wins 7 games this season or we hire a name coach with FBS experience. I let my MGC membership lapse because I was tired of the sorry-ass results we've been getting in football.

y'all were the kind of kids that took your ball home when you started losing, weren't you?

• Upvote 1

I would double my donation.

However, it should be said that I had my wife 87.54% sold on two 50 yardline club seats for next year. After the Rice game, driving home, I think it went down to 33.21%. She has nearly lost her stomach for losing and just doesn't have much fun at the games anymore. It has been 7 years since she really enjoyed a home game.

If we hired a big time coach, I am 56% certain she would be 100% in on the club seats.

However, it should be said that I had my wife 87.54% sold on two 50 yardline club seats for next year. After the Rice game, driving home, I think it went down to 33.21%. She has nearly lost her stomach for losing and just doesn't have much fun at the games anymore. It has been 7 years since she really enjoyed a home game.

If we hired a big time coach, I am 56% certain she would be 100% in on the club seats.

Cool; then I'll double down on what I'm spending this year.

y'all were the kind of kids that took your ball home when you started losing, weren't you?

I was happy to back the program through the Dickey years and the first two years of Dodge's tenure. But he turned the team into a joke, losing more games by 40 or more points than any coach before him in UNT history. I am not going to put another dollar into it until we're not a laughingstock in football. We're not even competitive in the Sun Belt!

Since you are a better fan than I am, you can put twice as much of your money into UNT football. It will be as if I'm still donating.

Edited by rcade

Thoughts On Which To Ponder For All On This Forum (Especially This Thread):

One guy out there wins the Publishing Clearing House $10 million prize and gives $1 million (1/10'th) to his alma mater.

A widow lady with $500 in the bank gives $250 (50%) to the same school--also her alma mater.

So..........who has given the most? :)

Should the widow lady be looked down upon and not be allowed to voice her opinions on her alma mater's sports smack board because she didn't give near as much as the guy who bequeathed $1,000,000 (1/10'th of his winnings) upon his alma mater? Should she be considered as unimportant even though she actually sacrificially gave more while getting into her food, gas and utility bills monies to do so?

Many of us in our lives have ridden high & many of us have had to adjust to low--I have been paying on medical bills the last several years which has strapped me financially. I want to rejoin the Mean Green Club next Fall and buy 2 season tickets if I can (although I can't come to most games due to my DJ business); but I am no less a UNT enthusiast and Mean Green fan and no one on this board or anywhere will tell me how much I need to give. At what point do some posters on this board start asking how much another has in their saving$ account? :ph34r:

Seems to me a school like North Texas still has enough empty seats to where we need all who will come out and support it; that is, those like that guy who won the $10,000,000 sweepstakes and the Widow Lady who gave half of all she had. If that is not the feeling of most on this board, then maybe a few need to look in the mirror, count their many blessing$, hope they can hang onto their health and those many blessing$ and maybe also wonder if they would have given as much as the Widow Lady had they been in her shoes.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I always think there should be a new coach fund. A place where disgruntled fans can donate to create a signing bonus for a new coach. Instead of not buying season tickets, because I don't support Dodge, I would have invested in a new coach fund.

I also think the Leach talk is ridiculous, he's simply out of our price range.

On a similar but different note, I've always wondered why we do not have a "Mean Green or UNT Athletic Foundation". I have no idea how they actually work, but in my mind, donations to this Foundation would be overseen by a non-paid board, made up of UNT Alumni who have an interest in UNT Athletics. These funds increase through "risk free" market investments. The funds are "given" to the athletic department as needed- possibly used to buy out a coaches contract or to help hire a higher priced coach.

Anyone out there a financial wizard who can shed some light on how these foundations work? I know universities have them, TAMU and Texas come to mind, and I think Louisiana Tech has something similar. Why couldn't we?

Many of us in our lives have ridden high & many of us have had to adjust to low--I have been paying on medical bills the last several years which has strapped me financially. I want to rejoin the Mean Green Club next Fall and buy 2 season tickets if I can (although I can't come to most games due to my DJ business); but I am no less a UNT enthusiast and Mean Green fan and no one on this board or anywhere will tell me how much I need to give. At what point do some posters on this board start asking how much another has in their saving$ account?

The only time "how much have you given?" comes up is when somebody calls out other people for being bad fans, as RealGrad88 has been doing.

Nobody faults people for giving as much as they can afford, or for not being able to afford to give any.

See, this is what I feel is at risk if regarding the new stadium. Those people on the fence that are thinking about upgrading aren't seeing worth in making any upgrades when we move across the street.