Food For Thought

meangreenbob

We all know how difficult the last 5 years have been. And yes, last night stung bad. But stop and think how really bad you would feel if that new stadium was only a dream, that we would forever be trapped in Fouts Field. Now, that would be really depressing.

Thank you RV and all who worked so hard to make that stadium become a reality. It looked awesome sitting there across the street from Fouts.

We will win! We will survive.

GO Mean Green! Beat Army!

We all know how difficult the last 5 years have been. And yes, last night stung bad. But stop and think how really bad you would feel if that new stadium was only a dream, that we would forever be trapped in Fouts Field. Now, that would be really depressing.

Thank you RV and all who worked so hard to make that stadium become a reality. It looked awesome sitting there across the street from Fouts.

We will win! We will survive.

GO Mean Green! Beat Army!

RV is now and has been the best AD we have ever had....probably will be the best we will ever have at UNT.....what are we going to do about the win/loss column ?

RV can and does make bad decisions....can he fix them?

RV is a risk taker. He took a monster risk taking this job many years ago! He took a huge risk keeping Dickey after that Monroe game and off to 4 straight bowl games we went. He took a huge risk hiring Todd Dodge and one that I frankly was glad he took before the results. RV is a master at his game in many ways and there is a method to his maddness. Think about the coached we will be able to intrigue with the stadium underway and a brighter future on the horizon. We are 5-33 under TD and yet we outdrew SMU and their high dollar coach by 7,000 fans last night. Both opening nights in the Metroplex. One fresh off a bowl win and the other grasping to hope strings in a jello bowl.

His next risk is to go get Mike Leach. Both of those crazy minds at work could do miracles on the college football scene. RV the risk taker with political correctness and ML the risk taker who wins. That would bring in national attention to Denton, Texas and with a commitment of this magnitude could land us an invite to the Big East, MWC or Big 12. Crazy things happen both wonderful and weird when risk takers are in charge!

GMG

• Upvote 1

You better believe Coach V has been the greatest AD we have ever had, if for nothing else, fighting the the apathetic mentality that existed on campus when he got here and singlehandedly changing the the face of of NT athletics.

I can assure you all he is extremely, EXTREMELY pissed off with what transpired last night. He is accutely aware how amazing it is that in spite of having a football program that has a total of three home wins in 4/5 years we have GROWN our home fan base. Nearly 24,000 showed up to see a program that has given them every reason to turn their backs on it. It's incredible to me. Our conference opponent's fans who are conscious of the attendance issues are probably baffled by this I would guess? And it's all due to the efforts of Coach V.

Imagine what the man will be able to build in that beautiful new stadium with a program that starts winning?

Rick

• Upvote 1

RV is a risk taker. He took a monster risk taking this job many years ago! He took a huge risk keeping Dickey after that Monroe game and off to 4 straight bowl games we went. He took a huge risk hiring Todd Dodge and one that I frankly was glad he took before the results. RV is a master at his game in many ways and there is a method to his maddness. Think about the coached we will be able to intrigue with the stadium underway and a brighter future on the horizon. We are 5-33 under TD and yet we outdrew SMU and their high dollar coach by 7,000 fans last night. Both opening nights in the Metroplex. One fresh off a bowl win and the other grasping to hope strings in a jello bowl.

His next risk is to go get Mike Leach. Both of those crazy minds at work could do miracles on the college football scene. RV the risk taker with political correctness and ML the risk taker who wins. That would bring in national attention to Denton, Texas and with a commitment of this magnitude could land us an invite to the Big East, MWC or Big 12. Crazy things happen both wonderful and weird when risk takers are in charge!

GMG

There are several proven head coaches out there I want to bring in. Kragthorpe, Leach, Bower, to a lesser extent Bowden. That short list would make my UNT football pants go crazy.

You better believe Coach V has been the greatest AD we have ever had, if for nothing else, fighting the the apathetic mentality that existed on campus when he got here and singlehandedly changing the the face of of NT athletics.

I can assure you all he is extremely, EXTREMELY pissed off with what transpired last night. He is accutely aware how amazing it is that in spite of having a football program that has a total of three home wins in 4/5 years we have GROWN our home fan base. Nearly 24,000 showed up to see a program that has given them every reason to turn their backs on it. It's incredible to me. Our conference opponent's fans who are conscious of the attendance issues are probably baffled by this I would guess? And it's all due to the efforts of Coach V.

Imagine what the man will be able to build in that beautiful new stadium with a program that starts winning?

Rick

Agree, FFR...

UNT also has the luxury of adding the equivalent of 5-6,000 new season ticket holders each Fall with our (seemedly) annual record-setting Freshmen Class enrollment. Now we know getting them all to show is something that the UT's and TAMU's of this world cannot pull off with their own large freshmen classes, but we all get our share of new faces from our new freshmen classes and I'd bet the largest portion of our great student attendance last night came from our Freshmen Class.

Last night was a kick in the butt for us all, especially Coach Dodge. Dodge seems like he will be one of the good guys in the coaching ranks whose first request upon his hiring was UNT's dire need to get a new stadium. That is now happening, but the odds of him getting to coach in that new stadium took a tremendous dive south with that one point loss against the Rice Owls last night.

As alums, most of us look at any coach's cumulative W/L records over a period of years, how the momentum of said coach's recruiting classes are progressing and right now albeit I don't think TD's recruiting have been disasters by any means, they are just not translating into the all import "W" that all coaches know they will be judged. After post-game talks with many of you, it seems with this 0 & 2 start that we will be looking for a new head football coach at the end of the season--rarely do any school's fire a HFC mid-season as many posters on GMG.com may be wasting their time demanding.

If Todd Dodge is terminated this season based upon the reality of the situation he will understand why and I'd predict he would say something like "it's about wins and we just could not master that part of the game here at UNT." He would not leave kicking, scratching, screaming foul and all that other stuff. (Sort'a disappoints me that even Bobby Bowden has not kept quiet about his own termination from Florida State--its really better when they just say something like "it was a good run for us all" kind of response IMHO).

BUT.........stranger things have happened at UNT with coach's 12'th hour come-backs to keep their jobs, but the SBC is now a tougher league and quite frankly, with all our present injuries of starters, Dodge's task to succeed may need something short of a major miracle for him to get 5, 6 or 7 wins this season.

Nonetheless...the future is bright at the University of North Texas because of that huge edifice of a college football palace being built at the Mean Green Athletic Village. Yes, this should'a happened 25 years ago of which some of you even expressed yesterday, but at least............UNT IS GITTIN' HER DONE NOW!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Rick

I agree. As long as we have RV as our Athletic Director there will be hope. Lose him and we lose that hope. He very well may be a legend one day at UNT.

I feel so sorry for our players today who have worked so hard and all those students who stood and cheered loudly and with enthusiasm in that hot sun.

Rick

I agree that the new stadium by itself will add to our fan base. A winning season going into next year would have meant even more season ticket buyers. I like Dodge, but winning must happen. If a new coach is obtained, plus new stadium, plus home games with Houston, Indiana, and Muts that would be a triple win/win for RV and attendance next year.

Edited by NT80

GMG

He may be a risk taker..and keep in mind I love people like that hiring TD wasn't a sound risk. In RV's defense...the money just hasn't been there in bringing a notable coach but man there were and are plenty of college experienced coaches that would have came here and produced better results than TD.

Getting Mike Leach isn't a risk. Leach is a proven commodity and will be Mean Green Jesus if he every decided to come here. In getting Leach there is no risk other than what are you willing to do so he can come here.

UNT Athletics will not fall apart if/when RV leaves his post, just like Football will be able to survive when TD is gone.

RV is actually lucky that Dr. Bataille is gone since he hung his fortunes on TD being successful and then holding onto him even after last year.