Have To Get Better At Defensive End

Harry

The defense is the issue and frankly save a broken coverage early the secondary played fairly well. I love KC Obi and Brandon Akpunku but Clemson owned them for much of the game. We have got to get better at that position to move this program forward. Please don't view this as anything negative for these guys, I love their heart and they have done their weight room work. It's just this position requires a multipurpose type of athlete and we don't apparently have one at this particular time. Rice will go at both ends in the next game and if they are able to clamp down on the corner as Clemson was tonight we are in trouble.

On a positive note, I was impressed by Tune, and of course Dunbar and really the entire offense. My fear is the offense is being asked to burn clock as opposed to making plays.

I am also very concerned about special teams. To have Serrano come in with such a big game and kick the ball out of bounds was inexcusable. Evidently Olen has become a major concern given the fact Deans was kicking. But beyond kicking, it appears we are in the situation where our best players are not playing on special teams. Let me remind everyone, Patty (Patrick Cobbs UNT Hall of Famer with the Dolphins) was playing on special teams...it is THAT important. Based on how things transpired tonight I would ask that every capable starter be asked to give their hand at trying to make plays on special teams this season. There is too much at stake.

Overall, a solid game that should have been much closer. Canales affect on the offense was very evident tonight except in the red zone. Tune was solid at times although he sometimes was not being cognizant of the rush - against Clemson this is understandable. I thought Santiago was outclassed tonight. The defensive tackles played well and other than Jeremy Phillips huge miss on the second play for Clemson the linebackers played pretty well.

There is good potential on this team for the rest of the season but things will need to be very focused against Rice who gave TU all they could handle. GMG!

The defense is the issue and frankly save a broken coverage early the secondary played fairly well. I love KC Obi and Brandon Akpunku but Clemson owned them for much of the game. We have got to get better at that position to move this program forward. Please don't view this as anything negative for these guys, I love their heart and they have done their weight room work. It's just this position requires a multipurpose type of athlete and we don't apparently have one at this particular time. Rice will go at both ends in the next game and if they are able to clamp down on the corner as Clemson was tonight we are in trouble.

On a positive note, I was impressed by Tune, and of course Dunbar and really the entire offense. My fear is the offense is being asked to burn clock as opposed to making plays.

I am also very concerned about special teams. To have Serrano come in with such a big game and kick the ball out of bounds was inexcusable. Evidently Olen has become a major concern given the fact Deans was kicking. But beyond kicking, it appears we are in the situation where our best players are not playing on special teams. Let me remind everyone, Patty (Patrick Cobbs UNT Hall of Famer with the Dolphins) was playing on special teams...it is THAT important. Based on how things transpired tonight I would ask that every capable starter be asked to give their hand at trying to make plays on special teams this season. There is too much at stake.

Overall, a solid game that should have been much closer. Canales affect on the offense was very evident tonight except in the red zone. Tune was solid at times although he sometimes was not being cognizant of the rush - against Clemson this is understandable. I thought Santiago was outclassed tonight. The defensive tackles played well and other than Jeremy Phillips huge miss on the second play for Clemson the linebackers played pretty well.

There is good potential on this team for the rest of the season but things will need to be very focused against Rice who gave TU all they could handle. GMG!

I agree with you Harry, I felt like a couple the guys needed some tackling fuel.

The real good is we stopped Clemson several times, and the offense looked good. With all the new wrinkles we added this season I thought we did great against a team like Clemson.

The defense is the issue and frankly save a broken coverage early the secondary played fairly well. I love KC Obi and Brandon Akpunku but Clemson owned them for much of the game.

100% agree. Nicely surprised that the middle of the DL held their own fairly well, but Clemson ate UNT up off tackle. It's same old, same old. The athletes just aren't there yet for the scheme, but there has definitely been progress made, and they played hard.

I saw the same thing, but frankly don't feel like that's a bad thing, and it's definitely something they will have to do to try to keep the outmanned line off the field as much as possible.

I am also very concerned about special teams. Based on how things transpired tonight I would ask that every capable starter be asked to give their hand at trying to make plays on special teams this season. There is too much at stake.

Agree. I haven't looked back at the game stats yet, but was not too disappointed with the special teams play. UNT has really increased their team speed, and I think the coverage units are going to be ok in SBC play. Shaky right now, but ok. Need to cut out the foolish stuff, and I thought Tune made some mistakes, but overall played pretty well, and looked to be in command of the offense and confident in a big time situation. I thought the offensive play calling was very very good. Definitely a step up from the last couple of years. The RB's looked great, and are legitimate threats against anyone in the NCAA. This team is close.

The game against Rice is going to be close. It is a good matchup for UNT, but they will have to shut the off tackle stuff down in order to have a chance, as Rice has some good skill kids, and Bailiff will have them ready to go. It's going to be two evenly matched schools next week.