Td On Wbap This Morning

Lurker

Did anyone else happen to catch the interview this morning?

Highlights:

• Talked about the exerienced OL
  • Dunbar as the leading Sunbelt RB
  • Knowing that he has been given a specific number of wins to reach
  • Said defense should be better

That's all I can recall at the moment.

[*]Knowing that he has been given a specific number of wins to reach

I think the "number" will be adjusted if a great amount of progress is shown. You'd hate for us to be a 6-6 with some really close losses and throw it all away to rebuild under a new coach in 2011.

I like that there is a number out there as a target. But, I don't think it should be a hard and fast number if we're doing well in every game and don't end up with a losing record.

SHOCK VALUE COMMENT: I'd even be willing to cut Dodge some slack if we go 4-8 or 5-7 and have a winning record in the Sun Belt. Go ahead. Throw your stones at me. In my opinion, we really are at Year One of this thing because it's the first year we've had 100% college assistants. I think that alone has us going in the right direction again. I'd love to see this coaching staff together with young Derek Thompson at the helm in 2011 and beyond. I just would.

So blow me.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I think the "number" will be adjusted if a great amount of progress is shown. You'd hate for us to be a 6-6 with some really close losses and throw it all away to rebuild under a new coach in 2011.

I like that there is a number out there as a target. But, I don't think it should be a hard and fast number if we're doing well in every game and don't end up with a losing record.

SHOCK VALUE COMMENT: I'd even be willing to cut Dodge some slack if we go 4-8 or 5-7 and have a winning record in the Sun Belt. Go ahead. Throw your stones at me. In my opinion, we really are at Year One of this thing because it's the first year we've had 100% college assistants. I think that alone has us going in the right direction again. I'd love to see this coaching staff together with young Derek Thompson at the helm in 2011 and beyond. I just would.

So blow me.

I agree, that as long as TD and company can show a definable level of improvement this season then he should be allowed to keep his job. I believe this would require AT LEAST 1 OOC wins this year (read: Army, Rice) if not 2, and a winning record in the SBC.

There are 12 games this season...4 OOC and 8 SBC games. So, we should be able to win 4 SBC games...with the 1 OOC win we would have a 5-7 record. That seems VERY reasonable after several season on the job. If he cannot get to at least a 5-7 season then he should not stay.

I mean, come on, at this point is anything less really acceptable???

• Upvote 1

I agree, that as long as TD and company can show a definable level of improvement this season then he should be allowed to keep his job. I believe this would require AT LEAST 1 OOC wins this year (read: Army, Rice) if not 2, and a winning record in the SBC.

There are 12 games this season...4 OOC and 8 SBC games. So, we should be able to win 4 SBC games...with the 1 OOC win we would have a 5-7 record. That seems VERY reasonable after several season on the job. If he cannot get to at least a 5-7 season then he should not stay.

I mean, come on, at this point is anything less really acceptable???

By Year 4 A Coach in the SBC Should Be At or Above .500 IMHO...

Coach Dickey's Year By Year W/L Record

1998 North Texas 3–8......Conf 3-2 T-2nd

1999 North Texas 2–9......Conf. 1-5 7th

2000 North Texas 3–8......Conf. 1-4 T-3rd

2001 North Texas 5–7......Conf. 5–1 1'st

2002 North Texas 8–5......Conf. 6–0 1'st

2003 North Texas 9–4......Conf. 7–0 1'st

2004 North Texas 7–5......Conf. 7–0 1'st

2005 North Texas 2–9......Conf. 2–5 7th

2006 North Texas 3–9......Conf. 2–5 7th

Total: 42–64

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

we need atleast 5 wins this year...DD had 5 conference wins by his 4th year so i think that would be appropriate

After Year 4, DD was 5 & 7 in a brand new conference with some schools just up from 1-AA with UNT hosting the first NO's Bowl.

BUT THIS TIME AROUND... I think the stakes are different with the investment of approx $100 million toward a new stadium for the 2011 football season: My gut feeling would tell me that Coach Dodge has probably been asked to win 6 overall games and/or win the SBC on the eve of our new stadium's debut.

We rarely beat the top ranked or the Clemson's of our schedules in the past, but come Rice U. versus the University of North Texas next week in Denton, our team needs to charge out of the tunnel at Fouts Field's last home season opener like Sam Houston & his Texicans did when they charged on their horses across the Texas wetlands as never before & at General Antonio de la Santa Anna, ie, the self-annointed Napoleon of the West & his army........and then with our Todd Dodge & his Mean Green having the same results as Sam Houston'army did with a "take no prisoners" approach and that----with our game against the Rice University Owls next week in Denton. Hellsbells! I'm looking forward to being at that game.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would have a hard time keeping a coach who is 9-39. Just can't see any coach ever holding on to a job like this unless that employer had low expectations. Such low expectations would make it EXTREMELY hard for anyone else to have buy in.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2

I think with Coach Dodge losing six games by a touchdown or less last year and having to play with Freshmen, Red Shirt Freshmen and a Sophmore in his first three years, IMHO, I think the man has been snakebit at one of the most important positions on the offensive side of the ball. Now NT is going into Coach Dodge's fourth season with back up Senior Tune now as QB. Won a state title at Celina, played well against Alabama and did a admirable job as the QB at the end of last year.

There is no doubt that NT has the talent on both sides of the ball but the question still remains how well will Tune and his now sophmore back up will do this year?

I believe our new offensive coordinator will have the problems fixed just by his vast experience.

NT wins six or seven.....maybe eight or nine with the right breaks coming our way.

• Downvote 2

Look, one of Dodge's main problems has been his choices at QB. He's now given QB duty to Canales. We're going to see a vastly different product on the field this year. And, we need to give Dodge credit for being man enough to turn over so much of the control to Canales.

Even if, behind the scenes, RV forced it, I think Dodge has saved his career by becoming the CEO-type coach that you need in today's complicated game and by quitting the over-bearing supervisor role. You can't have a top-down type of structure anymore. Defenses are too complicated. You've got to have responsibility diffused - and, diffused to people who know the game at this level who can react to it in real time.

We've got what we need. It's time to go out and roast some opponent butt for a change.

I would have a hard time keeping a coach who is 9-39. Just can't see any coach ever holding on to a job like this unless that employer had low expectations. Such low expectations would make it EXTREMELY hard for anyone else to have buy in.

I am with you I like Dodge but I think the time for excuses is over and that goes for heart-breakers, one point losses, woulda coulda shouldas and anything else. I am fine with Dodge coming back in fact I hope like hell he does come back because in my mind that means he made his 7 wins. That is the best for the team, but if he does not win 7 we go out and find a guy who has done it before at the D1a level, we are going to have the athletic fee kicking in next year and only a one year buy out on TD's contract so we should have money to pick up a proven coach.

So blow me.

I have said since last year, if this team finishes with 5-6 wins, after having only won 2 total in any of the previous 3 seasons, they will bring him back.

• Downvote 1