The Wac Saga Continues

MeanGreen61

It does have to do with money, but not immediately. BYU wants to be seen in more homes than those with versus or The MTN. It isn't all about the money at this point, it's about being seen in as many households across the country as possible for BYU. This Colorado blogger hits the nail on the head in his article:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2010/08/25/byumwctv-saga-may-be-resolved-soon/12445/

"Unlike the proposed University of Texas network, BYU-TV isn’t a cash cow but a vehicle for spreading the Mormon faith."

amen! stating the obvious, but going independent in football and having their own tv network gives byu a platform for spreading the word. in exchange for being allowed to put all their other sports in the wac, byu agreed to schedule 4 or 5 football games annually with wac members, which was a win/ win for both, as mt. west schools would drop them like a hot potato and scheduling 12 games as a independent is difficult unless you are irish, although the longhorns could probably pull it off as well.

The WAC's chances of getting $10 million out of Nevada and Fresno are about has likely has the chance the WAC will ever see another BCS bid after the realignment is finished. The Big East sued Miami after their move to the ACC too.

And why is CUSA looking at Troy? The 12th spot in CUSA was between UTEP, UNT, and LA Tech. If the MWC takes UTEP or Houston that would open up a spot in CUSA-West.

And at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the MWC take Utah State or Hawaii just to deal the WAC a death blow.

I also got a feeling there's no money in an independent BYU network with few WAC opponents on the schedule. The BCS has no reason to give BYU the Notre Dame deal, they would more likely get the Army deal where they have to be ranked #1 or #2 to make a BCS bowl.

I would just like to see the SBC add LA Tech and UTSA and be done will all this.

The WAC is not going to get its $10 million dollars from Fresno and Nevada. The resolution with the buyout clause is based on the WAC signing an agreement with BYU this week.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50190862-77/conference-wac-byu-benson.html.csp

The WAC is not going to get its $10 million dollars from Fresno and Nevada. The resolution with the buyout clause is based on the WAC signing an agreement with BYU this week.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50190862-77/conference-wac-byu-benson.html.csp

in addition, salt lake city tribune speculates that byu goes independent in football, puts other sports in wcc, which is composed of 8 faith based schools. if so,finding 12 teams to fill out their football schedule will require a lot of prayer, as they will have pissed off not only the mt. west, but also what remains of the wac.we will know for sure 9/1.

The WAC's chances of getting $10 million out of Nevada and Fresno are about has likely has the chance the WAC will ever see another BCS bid after the realignment is finished. The Big East sued Miami after their move to the ACC too.

And why is CUSA looking at Troy? The 12th spot in CUSA was between UTEP, UNT, and LA Tech. If the MWC takes UTEP or Houston that would open up a spot in CUSA-West.

And at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the MWC take Utah State or Hawaii just to deal the WAC a death blow.

I also got a feeling there's no money in an independent BYU network with few WAC opponents on the schedule. The BCS has no reason to give BYU the Notre Dame deal, they would more likely get the Army deal where they have to be ranked #1 or #2 to make a BCS bowl.

I would just like to see the SBC add LA Tech and UTSA and be done will all this.

Troy and CUSA? It's would be an eastern footprint school (which is our main "location" bug-a-boo); Troy has a re-built fairly nice looking stadium (yet no camparison with UNT's since ours was built from scratch & is not a make-over from an existing stadium).

Troy's admission standards might not set well with most of CUSA but who the heck knows what these non BCS league criteria's truly are anymore. In a sense, Troy would be a travel partner with UAB-Birmingham. (I think East Carolina would chose Troy U over La Tech because of easier/closer access, too). Just my .02

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Troy and CUSA? It's would be an eastern footprint school (which is our main "location" bug-a-boo); Troy has a re-built fairly nice looking stadium (yet no camparison with UNT's since ours was built from scratch & is not a make-over from an existing stadium).

Troy's admission standards might not set well with most of CUSA but who the heck knows what these non BCS league criteria's truly are anymore. In a sense, Troy would be a travel partner with UAB-Birmingham. (I think East Carolina would chose Troy U over La Tech because of easier/closer access, too). Just my .02

GMG!

I think that if CUSA chooses either Troy or LATech they drop in prestige.

Also, if Utah State is really being considered for the MWC, then if I were TCU I would be pushing hard for UNT or Houston.