Unt Goes With Tune

Brett Vito

I don't understand the anger at "burning his redshirt." He was on the travel squad. He is a viable player, since he made the trip. Dodge only had three QBs on the trip and two of them were knocked *out* of the game with injuries. Who plays? The next QB on the list. Who would have he put out there? Scrappy?

Winning is being a 7-5 team on the year. Losing is a 2-10 or 3-9 squad. Poor management of a program is what this was.

There were a few options, like running our version of the wildcat to end the game. Not a great option, but an option.

So you have a kid, who wants to be here, who's not an academic risk, who looks more like a Division I QB than I have ever seen suit up for the Mean Green, burn an entire year of eligibility, on one series, in a game we needed a miracle to win, when there was another option.

Think of all the recruits we give scholarships to who never make it to campus, get homesick, get injured, don't have Division I talent, don't make their grades, don't really want to be here, get in trouble, etc. etc.

That is my anger at "burning the redshirt". I am angry because I was thinking about the long term benefit of the Mean Green, not hoping for some miracle and have 3 wins on the year instead of 2. I just think it is a bad idea for ANY 2-9 team to burn any 'ship the last game of the year, much less this kids.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I wish this thought would just die.

I would be so much angrier if Dodge admitted that he intentionally did not put the best available QB in to save a redshirt. It's all about WINNING. You put the best options on the field. 10 games or 60 seconds. If you have a chance to win the game (and we did), try your hardest to win it. Dodge did. Thompson did. There's nothing wrong there.

Dodge down. Tune down. Baine didn't travel. Thompson is next in line. Yes, Hamilton, Carey, etc... played QB in high school, but they were not the ones Dodge chose to use in order to win the game.

Is it unfortunate that his redshirt was burned with only a few plays? Absolutely. Was it the right choice? Absolutley!

Ask Thompson himself.

I don't think there would be a QB competition (which made both of them better IMO) this offseason if Thompson did not play those minutes in Jonesboro.

Well, I have heard players parents talk about the importance of players getting noticed, and Thompson certainly did (and certainly will) get noticed.

So we have three camps

1) play to win every game, down to the last minute

2) do what is best for the long term

3) pie

I am somewhere in-between. Thompson doesn't seem mad about anything, and I am willing to bet that we get two significant seasons out of him, more than enough time to figure out how to move on.

I don't think anyone is changing their opinion on what happened last year with Thompson and the last game. Bringing it up isn't accomplishing anything and nobody is going to see it any way but the way they already see it.

This could be said about many discussions held here on GMG.com. Tasty just speaking the obvious truth...so, get over it folks and let's move along as it's a new day for the Mean Green and a new season is about to kick-off. How can that be anything but positive?

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

I figured it would come down to Tune or Thompson once Canales was on board to become the savior of the program and all around Santa Clause-type figure we've been waiting for since Corky Nelson was...well, since Corky Nelson.

Either way, it'll nice to see either one of them hoisting that trophy-shaped Sun Belt Conference objet d'art and then have it on the sideline for all University of North Texas Mean Green Eagle fans to gawk at during our dismantling of the Kansas State University Wildcats who were formerly known as the Aggies until 1915 or 1920 depending on whose story you believe more but who still have an area near the stadium called Aggieville not Wildcatville because in reality the school is in the middle of a great land mass of farm territory that yankees fly over and take for granted when they are passing unweildy and unnecessary social program legislation meant to buy votes in their crappy big cities back in the northeast at the expense of everyone out here in the real world who works for a living and doesn't depend on the government for a paycheck or welfare check or any other type or check other than a tax refund check which is really nothing more than our money to begin with but they stole it from us legally so that they can metaphorically speaking bend us over and give it to us in places we don't want it so I'm all for Nathan Tune being the quarterback until one of the other quarterback from one of the other 119 FBS college teams transfers in and beats him out for the job which isn't likely since he's a senior this year and will just be sitting back and laughing at them next year anyway while he's up in Oakland competing with Jason Campbell for the Raiders starting quarterback position.

• Downvote 2