Unt Goes With Tune

Brett Vito

Glad to see the quarterback decision is over. I hope Tune has a great season, but also feel confident that Thompson can come in and take the reigns if need be. Seems to me like both young men have proven themselves with flashes of greatness during the pre-season. I think the important thing is to SUPPORT WHOEVER our starting QB is. Can't wait for the season opener next week! Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 2

I wish the Tune the best of course. But I'll feel bad for Thompson if he sits out a good chunk of the season only to play a game or two and then has burn yet another year of edibility for minimal play time. I think Dodge playing him last season for a few minutes in that one game was atrocious and self-serving.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I wish the Tune the best of course. But I'll feel bad for Thompson if he sits out a good chunk of the season only to play a game or two and then has burn yet another year of edibility for minimal play time. I think Dodge playing him last season for a few minutes in that one game was atrocious and self-serving.

The reasons for Thompson playing against Arkansas State are well documented and far from self-serving.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

I think Dodge playing him last season for a few minutes in that one game was atrocious and self-serving.

I wish this thought would just die.

I would be so much angrier if Dodge admitted that he intentionally did not put the best available QB in to save a redshirt. It's all about WINNING. You put the best options on the field. 10 games or 60 seconds. If you have a chance to win the game (and we did), try your hardest to win it. Dodge did. Thompson did. There's nothing wrong there.

Dodge down. Tune down. Baine didn't travel. Thompson is next in line. Yes, Hamilton, Carey, etc... played QB in high school, but they were not the ones Dodge chose to use in order to win the game.

Is it unfortunate that his redshirt was burned with only a few plays? Absolutely. Was it the right choice? Absolutley!

Ask Thompson himself.

I don't think there would be a QB competition (which made both of them better IMO) this offseason if Thompson did not play those minutes in Jonesboro.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I wish the Tune the best of course. But I'll feel bad for Thompson if he sits out a good chunk of the season only to play a game or two and then has burn yet another year of edibility for minimal play time.

Welcome to the role of every backup QB in America?

Thompson is a true soph, thus getting two years of starting QB PT all to himself after Nathan graduates...assuming another guy doesn't supplant him in 2011.

Outside of having an All-league guy at the position for 4 years, I think we have a pretty good setup here.

I would be so much angrier if Dodge admitted that he intentionally did not put the best available QB in to save a redshirt. It's all about WINNING. You put the best options on the field. 10 games or 60 seconds. If you have a chance to win the game (and we did), try your hardest to win it. Dodge did. Thompson did. There's nothing wrong there.

Dodge down. Tune down. Baine didn't travel. Thompson is next in line. Yes, Hamilton, Carey, etc... played QB in high school, but they were not the ones Dodge chose to use in order to win the game.

Is it unfortunate that his redshirt was burned with only a few plays? Absolutely. Was it the right choice? Absolutley!

Ask Thompson himself.

I don't think there would be a QB competition (which made both of them better IMO) this offseason if Thompson did not play those minutes in Jonesboro.

Thank you. Very well written and explained.

• Downvote 1

I'm not surprised by this. Neither QB really distanced themselves in practice. But, Tune has experience and won't make as many big mistakes, which has been killing this offense ever since Dodge got here and has played young QB's. Second factor, the new offensive wrinkles. It's not necessary to have a running QB anymore, what with the new running plays and throwing down the field and across the middle. I suspect our offense will be more difficult to defend even without the running threat at QB.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

Congrats to both players on a hard fought battle. I'd guess what happened is Nathan didn't lose the job and Thompson didn't earn the job in fall camp. You always give the Senior every chance possible and that's probably what happened. Hopefully Tune can make the plays Canales needs him to make and protect the football.

No, we didn't have a chance to win down two scores with about a minute left. It was a meaningless game and statistically the odds were stacked agains us to actually make such a comeback anyway.

The only reason I don't care about the Thompson thing anymore is because he publicly said it was something he wanted to do. So that was enough for me. However, the argument that you stated doesn't fly for me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't understand the anger at "burning his redshirt." He was on the travel squad. He is a viable player, since he made the trip. Dodge only had three QBs on the trip and two of them were knocked *out* of the game with injuries. Who plays? The next QB on the list. Who would have he put out there? Scrappy?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1