Rumors That Mwc To Expand To 12; Byu To Go Indy

NT80

Sources say announcement from BYU on Monday. Added MWC teams could be 2 of Utah St., Hawaii, or Houston.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=208&f=2746&t=6242340&p=5

MetsJetsAggies wrote: DesNewsEborn

A source close to the USU administration tells the Deseret News Utah State is actively negotiating a berth in MWC with WAC falling apart about 1 hour ago via web

DesNewsEborn That source at USU says the MWC will expand, again, to 12 teams if BYU can be persuaded to stay in MWC for non-football sports about 1 hour ago via web

DesNewsEborn Any conference move for USU depends on BYU's decision on FB indy status. Nothing will happen before Monday at earliest 45 minutes ago via web

Sources say announcement from BYU on Monday. Added MWC teams could be 2 of Utah St., Hawaii, or Houston.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=208&f=2746&t=6242340&p=5

MetsJetsAggies wrote: DesNewsEborn

A source close to the USU administration tells the Deseret News Utah State is actively negotiating a berth in MWC with WAC falling apart about 1 hour ago via web

DesNewsEborn That source at USU says the MWC will expand, again, to 12 teams if BYU can be persuaded to stay in MWC for non-football sports about 1 hour ago via web

DesNewsEborn Any conference move for USU depends on BYU's decision on FB indy status. Nothing will happen before Monday at earliest 45 minutes ago via web

Well if true, WAC in big trouble. CUSA would have to replace Houston. I don't see TCU et al wanting Hawaii. Who gets the CUSA west spot?

Well if true, WAC in big trouble. CUSA would have to replace Houston. I don't see TCU et al wanting Hawaii. Who gets the CUSA west spot?

I think everybody thinks of UNT and LA Tech immediately but are there any sleepers? Would they consider NMSU? How about Troy? Basically my question is would they choose someone that is not UNT or LT?

Two things:

1) Why would the MWC still want BYU......if they're dumping on the league, by leaving in football? That would give them 13 b-ball and other sport members. Makes no sense. And you've got to feel the TCUs of the world, are madder than Hell at BYU. I realize BYU is good in b-ball...but it's their football team that is their greatest asset (and draw for other conference mates).

2) If the MWC adds Utah State....would Houston be that interested in that league. Their closest school would be TCU.....which you just know will be chomping at the bit to get out of the MWC. I realize TCU may have no where to go. But if I was Houston.....being in a now really watered down MWC...wouldn't do much for me.

I still can't think why the MWC would want USU, other than location. Did I miss them suddenly becoming a "good" athletic program? I would think that NMSU is too far west for CUSA, and would think that the MWC would rather add UTEP than Hawaii. I could see Troy or MTSU getting the invite to CUSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think everybody thinks of UNT and LA Tech immediately but are there any sleepers? Would they consider NMSU? How about Troy? Basically my question is would they choose someone that is not UNT or LT?

If we go by past history, UNT will get black-balled (once again) and maybe La Tech gets in, but if they don't it won't be because we were in their way. Sometimes past history sucks and I don't see certain schools ever changing their stripes when it comes to us. Sad--but true. Fact is, there are probably bigger fish for us to fry down the road because none of these leagues are ever content with each other and a school with our numbers, location PLUS NOW........a new football stadium will further enhance our future--few (if any) other schools in our division can say the same and mean it.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Performance (football and sometimes bball (like last year), LT being regarded by most as being superior (coming from WAC vs. SBelt), larger athletic budget, not another Texas school.

Your other points may be valid, but that is not.

According to a U.S. Department of Education database of athletics budgets, the Tech athletic department spent $9.02 million in 2003-04, ranking 117th out of the 120 schools that are currently Football Bowl Subdivision members. Only Troy ($8 million), Louisiana-Lafayette ($7.3 million), and Louisiana-Monroe ($5.4 million) spent less.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20100726/SPORTS/100726016/Louisiana-Tech-s-big-plans-take-big-money

If we go by past history, UNT will get black-balled (once again) and maybe La Tech gets in, but if they don't it won't be because we were in their way. Sometimes past history sucks and I don't see certain schools ever changing their stripes when it comes to us. Sad--but true. Fact is, there are probably bigger fish for us to fry down the road because none of these leagues are ever content with each other and a school with our numbers, location PLUS NOW........a new football stadium will further enhance our future--few (if any) other schools in our division can say the same and mean it.

GMG!

i may be really out in left field on this, but i really think cusa would like back in the south florida market, and really doesn't want another texas school.la. tech brings nothing to the table. ecu and marshall will push hard for an east coast addition, which i feel could be fau. they are our size, and also building a new stadium. i am a democrat, so you may take my opinion with a grain of salt. i also must admitt that i have missed the mark on expansion[big 10] as often as hit it[pac 10], and certainly didn't see the rapid demise of the wac[ see stock market, 2008]