Mountain West/cusa Merger Talks Heating Up

LongJim

Well..I'm guessing if it happens....we can kiss our CUSA chances good bye.

Edit: I guess if BYU stays in the MWC...they're at 11. And if CUSA is at 12....that'd leave one spot open.

Edited by SUMG

Edit: I guess if BYU stays in the MWC...they're at 11. And if CUSA is at 12....that'd leave one spot open.

I was thinking about that 24thth spot.

• Upvote 1

Remember a couple days ago when we had all that good Mean Green football talk in the Mean Green football forum? Those were good times. What if we moved all the realignment crud to the hobbit forum?

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!

If you can get a bunch of waivers and rule changes from the NCAA and BCS, it works great.

Otherwise its the stupidest idea ever.

First to pit CUSA-MWC you need that spot locked in, which means giving them a spot without them actually meeting the criteria set forth to get a spot.

Second to have that game you have three choices.

1. Get the NCAA to approve you playing an additional post-season game which sure looks like a playoff and likely won't be well received giving teams possibly a 14th game, maybe 15th if they go to Hawaii.

2. If you can't do that you can merge into one league and then have a conference title game, but you need a waiver from the requirement that every team in a division play each other. In CUSA division with 12 teams, that means playing 11 conference games and 10 in the MWC division.

3. If you can't get that waiver, then you use one of your 12 regular season games to play that showdown.

Now if you merge, the NCAA doesn't operate on a one-school one vote system, each conference receives a vote. Right you have 11 leagues. Merge and there are 10. The interests of MWC/CUSA are going to be more like Sun Belt and MAC than Big 10 and SEC but now the vote is 6/4 rather than 6/5. At 6/5 you need to convince but one to join you in the vote.

You go from one autobid per 10 or 12 schools to one for 20+ In sports like baseball, volleyball, that can be a really big deal.

You could have all the football schools from one league join for football and stay in the other sports but the school losing the football schools, now is a I-AAA league again impacting voting.

The whole idea assumes that either there is no rule book or that the NCAA and BCS are going to clap their hands and say "That's wonderful! Let's change a bunch of rules to make that happen!"

What about lucha? We can talk about that....

Seriously, having those two conferences merge is genius.

If they drop down to 20 teams (or not), they can schedule almost all their games among the two division members and leave a handful of open dates to schedule powderpuff games. That would leave the other "BCS" conferences out of most of the schedule. It may also force them (the current BCS teams) to play tougher games to keep from playing too many "weaker teams" and thereby affecting the strength of schedule even more.

Or it could go as sour as a taco bell burrito left on the dash.... chit!

It would be great to be one of the teams in the merger...

I almost didn't even bother to read this thread b/c I figure it was talk on another forum somewhere. But this is actually reported in the news... crazy if this happened (crazy good? crazy bad? I have no idea).

Crazy what commishs will do when they panic about their job security.

A 20-23 school conference would be unworkable as far as scheduling football alone, much less all the non-rev sports. 16 didn't work before when it was tried. Within 2 years someone will get their feelings hurt; there will be another airport coup d'etat where the 12 strongest break apart and it starts all over.

Otherwise, along those same lines, should the SBC invite the remains of the WAC to merge??

Edited by NT80

No, what it means is that we go Indy' in football, set up a national TV network for Mean Green football (a la Notre Dame) and tell the rest of the NCAA to kiss our lilly white/black/brown/red/yellow ar$e! (Have to be PC here and keep the ACLU at bay, too) :rolleyes:

Seriously, no matter how you slice it we are a day late dollar short with our timing in Denton I'm a-feared. I know woulda'/coulda'and all that but damn if we would have had this football palace post Fry we would not be concerned with all the things we have to be concerned with today. (OK, Nurse, bring me my meds now). :scared:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

No, what it means is that we go Indy' in football, set up a national TV network for Mean Green football (a la Notre Dame) and tell the rest of the NCAA to kiss our lilly white/black/brown/red/yellow ar$e! (Have to be PC here and keep the ACLU at bay, too) :rolleyes:

Seriously, no matter how you slice it we are a day late dollar short with our timing in Denton I'm a-feared. I know woulda'/coulda'and all that but damn if we would have had this football palace post Fry we would not be concerned with all the things we have to be concerned with today. (OK, Nurse, bring me my meds now). :scared:

What happened to your joy of us having the trifecta of Villareal, Neinas and Rawlings leading the way?

What happened to your joy of us having the trifecta of Villareal, Neinas and Rawlings leading the way?

It's still there & we're fortunate (especially now) to have that holy trinity :innocent: on our campus...Forgive me, I'm just going thru the old "if only we had done this 25 years ago" pity-party crapola again that a few of us older f@rts tend to do at times. :cry::rolleyes:

BIRTHDAY ANNOUNCEMENT: Oh God! I turn 60 this November 24'th and I'll be gol'darned that this snuck up on me much too fast. But from my perspective and the era I attended NT, ie, The Fry Era, I have just always thought UNT should have progressed a bit more quicker than we did the last 30 plus years post-Fry and it was probably our 1975 Mean Green football season (I was a Junior) that spoiled me way too much as to make me think the (immediate) future looked very bright for North Texas. (I just never dreamed we'd be in the NCAA football wilderness as long as we have been).

My "ONLY" complaint with the Athletic Director part of my hero Hayden Fry's job in Denton was that he didn't lead the way (and fund-raising efforts since he knew almost every Fat Cat in Dallas back in that day); anyway, that he didn't lead efforts in having Fouts demolished back then while having a new football palace built nearby. Even after my moving from Denton & moving to Dallas/Fort Worth, I never thought the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium would ever be the answer for our "Denton-based" university. NOTE: I'll check with Nurse Ratchitt about having my meds changed now! :blush::sleeping:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1