Latest La Tech Tea Leaves

Harry

It's not going to happen. The NCAA is not going to lift the moratorium and allow Div I-AA schools to move up when those schools and the threat they pose to traditional powerhouses are part of the reason the Big Six are merging up.

Dream on UTSA and Texas State. Dream on.

But if the current Powerhouses, are acting like the little fat kid who has to be first what does the NCAA have to lose by bringing up D-1aa. Nebraska is the first of this era to realize that college football is not about the NCAA it is about the school. Something Notre Dame recently taught BYU. There is no money in NEB/CU or NEB/KU thats why they bolted. In all honesty if you had to sit down right now pick between a Nebraska and Colorado game, an event that has not been entertaining since 1996, or Watch Nebraska take on Michigan, even if you hate both teams, the second match up will when every time. So basically, the NCAA just benefited by a meeting between the school and the BIG10, I think the NCAA was there somewhere in the back.

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79419

Check out this thread...some of their reasonable fans talk about the Sun Belt being their best option and you wouldn't believe the howling...one fans says he would rather see them dismantle the entire athletic program than join the Belt...crazy!!!

Check out this thread...some of their reasonable fans talk about the Sun Belt being their best option and you wouldn't believe the howling...one fans says he would rather see them dismantle the entire athletic program than join the Belt...crazy!!!

I'd say good riddance Tech if they really feel that way.

Wow. Just wow. I don't get La Tech delusions about themselves. They would rather stay in a dying Conference and add 3 1-AA schools or go Indy than go to the belt. If they were in the belt, they would be middle of the pack.

Their attitude is amazing.

I don't get it. What am I missing about this mid major power house in Ruston, LA?

Is their women's bball still good? Is that what gets them to bigger and better lands?

Edited by TheColonyEagle

I really think that ULM is the only one that sticks in LaTech's craw. They did play Louisiana in 2004. The last time that they played ULM was in '99. Not only that, ULM is in the same market and direct competition for entertainment dollars.

LaTech fans are vehemently opposed to ULM but I'm not all that sure that their administration is. I'm sure that they'd rather not join the SBC to appease their fans but if their existence depended on the Sun Belt they might acquiesce.

If Hawaii leaves, the WAC will definitely fold IMHO. Louisiana Tech can't survive as an independent. If they can't get in CUSA it's either the Belt or the MAC, and they're a long ways from the nearest WAC team. The SBC would save them megabucks with a 12-team conference. Besides, ULM could be gone due to state budget cuts. They already operate with the smallest revenue in the FBS.

If the WAC totally implodes I hope we let La Tech "swim with the sharks" for a while. Don't immediately offer them a life preserver. They need to learn a little humility towards the SBC. Then make them pay a huge buyin fee, like $5 million! B)

• Upvote 1

There is a difference between being delusional and downright stupid. I have mostly admired La Tech because they have had good success based on their resources. Fans don't make decisions but the La Tech administration has fostered the deranged thinking that now seems prevalent.

I could not care less what they do, I don't think they add as much to the Belt as some do. They won one more fb division game than NT last year. Another conference member in North Louisiana seems overkill to me. So unless ULM folds, La Tech can wait for their imminent invitation to the Big12, CUSA or the conference of their choice.

I do think the arrogant stand of their administration has got themselves in a big mess. I don't see La Tech with many options and odds are that crawling back to the Belt maybe their best solution. To be fair, there were a few La Tech posters who recognize their position, There are even a few that thought going to the Belt would not be too bad, inasmuch as they would have little competition.

I expect as emotions die down and the reality that a CUSA or MWC rescue is unlikely, the Belt will began to look a lot better. The question then becomes does the Belt want La Tech.

There are quite a few that feel they are a shoe in if UTEP and/or Houston go to the MWC (and that it is a done deal no less).

according to el paso times, utep loves being in cuas because of alumni access to games in dallas and houston. they express zero interest in moving to mt. west. if byu goes indepenent, i eould expect houston to get mt. west invite. i also feel that cusa will look east to fill that opening, moving uab west. my susprise pick as replacement is fau. they are building a new stadium, 30,000+ students,[sound familiar] and cusa would love to get back into florida for recruiting purposes. just an opinion.

Passionate fans are generally a good thing. Arkstatefan had a comment on the Sunbelt board about the stages of La Tech accepting the Sun Belt - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. They certainly are in denial and a few have moved to anger. If you've read much comment by La Tech fans you will recognize names of their more ration posters arguing the Sun Belt is better than the dead WAC. One of the favorite comments was something to the effect of "if we have to associate with losers then lets associate with local losers. We don't need to pay to fly a 900 miles to find more losers."

It's not going to happen. The NCAA is not going to lift the moratorium and allow Div I-AA schools to move up when those schools and the threat they pose to traditional powerhouses are part of the reason the Big Six are merging up.

Dream on UTSA and Texas State. Dream on.

The ban on schools moving up ends in 2011.

Look at the six team WAC. Who is the premier program?

If your answer is anything other than Hawaii, I suggest you look again.

You need numbers if you are the WAC.

Texas State is easy if you are so inclined. Montana is best pick but has rejected three prior offers to move up.

Sacramento State is possibly close to making the move if they want to.

The best option is Cal-Davis a very good program, they just aren't there stadium-wise.

You want to make life easy for Hawaii so you want Cali schools. Your focus is Cal-Davis, Cal-Poly, and SacSt. Davis and Poly need more seats. There is no rule since they changed FBS criteria that you draw 15,000 to stadium with PERMANENT SEATS. You help Davis and/or Poly rent 8,000 portable seats and meet attendance.

They can start transition in 2011, play a WAC schedule in transition in 2012, and as an FBS in 2013, same method we used with FIU/FAU.

If they can iron out the Cali schools, Texas State and UTSA are probably hosed. They might take one simply to give Tech a bit of relief on travel.

Now you have a conference that goes from Ruston to Hawaii and is functioning on bad Sun Belt season revenue.

Look at the six team WAC. Who is the premier program?

If your answer is anything other than Hawaii, I suggest you look again.

You need numbers if you are the WAC.

Texas State is easy if you are so inclined. Montana is best pick but has rejected three prior offers to move up.

Sacramento State is possibly close to making the move if they want to.

The best option is Cal-Davis a very good program, they just aren't there stadium-wise.

You want to make life easy for Hawaii so you want Cali schools. Your focus is Cal-Davis, Cal-Poly, and SacSt. Davis and Poly need more seats. There is no rule since they changed FBS criteria that you draw 15,000 to stadium with PERMANENT SEATS. You help Davis and/or Poly rent 8,000 portable seats and meet attendance.

They can start transition in 2011, play a WAC schedule in transition in 2012, and as an FBS in 2013, same method we used with FIU/FAU.

If they can iron out the Cali schools, Texas State and UTSA are probably hosed. They might take one simply to give Tech a bit of relief on travel.

Now you have a conference that goes from Ruston to Hawaii and is functioning on bad Sun Belt season revenue.

Panic will force strange decisions. I still think Benson will try to lure some FBS schools in the SBC first, individually or as a small group. If that fails then yes they are forced to look at FCS moveups. Basically the WAC is sunk and La Tech better realize it fast and come begging.