Karl Benson Is Pi$$Ed

SUMG

Someone talked about UNT on the comments, I wonder who did that.

Benson said the WAC will look at schools in Division I-A and I-AA conferences. Among the schools that have been reported as possibilities are Montana, UC-Davis and Cal-Poly.

- No talk of UNT from the administrators. Maybe after we win a few games a year and get a stadium. Right now, I think we should focus on winning the sunbelt.

Benson said the WAC will look at schools in Division I-A and I-AA conferences. Among the schools that have been reported as possibilities are Montana, UC-Davis and Cal-Poly.

- No talk of UNT from the administrators. Maybe after we win a few games a year and get a stadium. Right now, I think we should focus on winning the sunbelt.

I think UNT had already told them "thanks, but no thanks" earlier.

As for Benson's comments: "Benson says Fresno State and Nevada acted selfishly when they accepted invitations to join the Mountain West." Name a school that wouldn't have taken such an upgrade? Be realistic, schools will go where the opportunity exists to better their program, revenue, and media.

I still believe Benson is on the phone right now trying to rustle up 4 more schools to keep the WAC viable. As a last resort UTSA and Tx State may get calls for future spots, but that does the WAC no good for 2011,12.

Edited by NT80

I still believe Benson is on the phone right now trying to rustle up 4 more schools to keep the WAC viable. As a last resort UTSA and Tx State may get calls for future spots, but that does the WAC no good for 2011,12.

Wouldn't UTSA and TX State have to get approve to become FBS? I thought the NCAA basically said that it will be near impossible for schools to upgrade from FCS to FBS so even if the conference still offers them, I thought that it had to be approved for the move up. Maybe I am wrong tho.

Wouldn't UTSA and TX State have to get approve to become FBS? I thought the NCAA basically said that it will be near impossible for schools to upgrade from FCS to FBS so even if the conference still offers them, I thought that it had to be approved for the move up. Maybe I am wrong tho.

You're not wrong. There is a moratorium in place on teams moving from FCS to FBS till 2012 at least. The plan is to make it much more difficult to move up but the exact new requirements have yet to be announced.

I believe that the moratorium ends on July 1, 2011. However, a FCS could be admitted to the WAC for all other sports but football which could keep the conference a viable entity. The problem would be that it would be two more years before they could play football at the FBS level. Unless there is a time in conference restriction it would seem that UTSA, Texas State, Montana, et al maybe could become eligible in 2013. That would take big expenditures to spend for a far-flung conference teetering on the brink and likely to lose the remaining star, Hawaii, at any moment. It would also be a gamble that all of the other five would even stay. I don't think that the pearl would be worth that dive.

I believe that the moratorium ends on July 1, 2011. However, a FCS could be admitted to the WAC for all other sports but football which could keep the conference a viable entity. The problem would be that it would be two more years before they could play football at the FBS level. Unless there is a time in conference restriction it would seem that UTSA, Texas State, Montana, et al maybe could become eligible in 2013. That would take big expenditures to spend for a far-flung conference teetering on the brink and likely to lose the remaining star, Hawaii, at any moment. It would also be a gamble that all of the other five would even stay. I don't think that the pearl would be worth that dive.

Karl Benson might want to defer to the old Kenny Rogers, ie, "The Gambler" hit song that includes the lyrics (and I liberally paraphrase) you need to know when to hold them--when to fold them.

KB, it may be coming close to "fold em' " time, ol' pod'nuh. ;)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1