Utsa's Larry Coker Says Utsa Football Is Raring To Go

gangrene

UTSA's Larry Coker says UTSA football is raring to go

"We're sitting back waiting for the conferences to implode, and, when they do, we're here," Coker said. "I think UTSA would be a great addition to the Big 12 South Division or Conference USA. We're here to do our due diligence to be attractive to these conferences. We are being very aggressive in getting into a major conference." Getting an education and graduating from college will be a top priority for his players, Coker said, and counselors will be on his staff to make sure that the classroom time is just as important for his players as their gridiron time.

"I have more of my former college players in the NFL today than any college coach, and I'm very proud of that," he said. "But most college players will go on to do other things, and graduation will be very important for them. My last class at Miami was one of just a handful of major college programs in the country that had a 100 percent graduation rate, and I'm very proud of that, too."

Really Larry?? Are you actually hearing what you're saying?? Do you actually believe that B.S. you're pitching?? No. I didn't think so...I doubt anyone that really matters will believe it either.

There's an old saying, It is better to remain quiet and let everyone think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Let's see. Larry Coker has a team that hasn't played anyone, before even one paying customer and should move ahead of scores of teams who have played hundreds of games before millions of people. Yeah, right Larry. You really belong in a BCS conference.

What Larry Coker may, or may not, have done individually has little bearing on his pilot program. Until they have played (and beaten) someone before a decent crowd, he should keep a lid on it.

There's an old saying, It is better to remain quiet and let everyone think that you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Let's see. Larry Coker has a team that hasn't played anyone, before even one paying customer and should move ahead of scores of teams who have played hundreds of games before millions of people. Yeah, right Larry. You really belong in a BCS conference.

What Larry Coker may, or may not, have done individually has little bearing on his pilot program. Until they have played (and beaten) someone before a decent crowd, he should keep a lid on it.

You, sir, are absolutely correct!

UTSA's Larry Coker says UTSA football is raring to go

Really Larry?? Are you actually hearing what you're saying?? Do you actually believe that B.S. you're pitching?? No. I didn't think so...I doubt anyone that really matters will believe it either.

What a clown.... I think the Big 12 does not share your sentiments Larry. You got picked up by the only school that would take you. And UTSA...you can bash TSU all you want but just remember that Larry applied for Rice before he had a reality check and was passed up by then TSU's HC for the job at Rice.

Larry Coker assumed the HC job at Miami with a machine like team put in place by the departing HC Butch Davis...... Yes 2001 was a great year for them...but his results got worse and worse each season. He didn't build that glorious 2001 team...Butch Davis did.

Edited by All About UNT

I don't want to give ANY credibility to Coker's comments but, to give the devil his due...

At least he's making some kind of noise and at this point maybe that trumps our "wait and see" attitude. As crazy as Coker looks and sounds, he's getting exposure for his program and as they say... the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

Maybe a little more chest thumping on our part wouldn't be such a bad thing.

• Upvote 2

Why is everybody on Larry Coker? What is he supposed to say? He is doing what he is paid to do. At least he has confidence in his program and school. Yeah they won't get a big 12 invite but he is shooting for the stars...meanwhile little ol North Texas is just in a wait and we'll see what happens mode. Remember that he is a national championship winning coach....and it was not too long ago.

• Upvote 3

Why is everybody on Larry Coker? What is he supposed to say? He is doing what he is paid to do. At least he has confidence in his program and school. Yeah they won't get a big 12 invite but he is shooting for the stars...meanwhile little ol North Texas is just in a wait and we'll see what happens mode. Remember that he is a national championship winning coach....and it was not too long ago.

I'm just glad his lacerations...however they may have occurred...seem to be healing quickly.

And he was fired right after that and no school with a team wanted him.

As for "wait and see," you would prefer we were in the now defunct WAC?

Yes he was fired and what's your point? The way things unraveled at Miami didn't seem right. I think there were differences between the administration and remember that when he got fired he went 6-6 that year which included the melee which was in 2006. But the year before they were 9-3 but got crushed in the bowl game by LSU in 2005. Going into 2006 season he was on the hot seat which doesn't make sense. To me I think there was some heavy fricition between he and the administration because the results he had along with the wins did not warrant his firing in my opinion. If he was a younger coach, I have no doubt that a lot of schools would have hired him. Just my opinion.

Yes he was fired and what's your point? The way things unraveled at Miami didn't seem right. I think there were differences between the administration and remember that when he got fired he went 6-6 that year which included the melee which was in 2006. But the year before they were 9-3 but got crushed in the bowl game by LSU in 2005. Going into 2006 season he was on the hot seat which doesn't make sense. To me I think there was some heavy fricition between he and the administration because the results he had along with the wins did not warrant his firing in my opinion. If he was a younger coach, I have no doubt that a lot of schools would have hired him. Just my opinion.

The fact no one and I mean NO ONE wanted him speaks volumes. I don't think he was a victim of age discrimination as there are a lot of FBS coaches in hired in their 60s and still coaching in their 70s. Schnelly had no problem getting a job at his age. He too won a championship at Miami, but did not have baggage that no university with a choice would want.

wow. The Big 12? Give me a double shot of whatever he's drinking :D

• Upvote 1

The fact no one and I mean NO ONE wanted him speaks volumes. I don't think he was a victim of age discrimination as there are a lot of FBS coaches in hired in their 60s and still coaching in their 70s. Schnelly had no problem getting a job at his age. He too won a championship at Miami, but did not have baggage that no university with a choice would want.

I don't think Schnelly is the best comparison...Schnelly won about 20 years before FAU hired him and I wouldn't have put FAU's program that high in 2001 at the time. FAU just needed and wanted relevance and credibility. I think Coker adds that same thing to UTSA except I think the fact that he's won a national champion in the last 10 years and been to I think 2 or 3. Yeah Coker didn't get much interest...I will agree with you but it almost looked like he was the guy who was the odd man out after the UM fiasco.

I don't think Schnelly is the best comparison...Schnelly won about 20 years before FAU hired him and I wouldn't have put FAU's program that high in 2001 at the time. FAU just needed and wanted relevance and credibility. I think Coker adds that same thing to UTSA except I think the fact that he's won a national champion in the last 10 years and been to I think 2 or 3. Yeah Coker didn't get much interest...I will agree with you but it almost looked like he was the guy who was the odd man out after the UM fiasco.

Again...I see what you mean...I do. That still doesn't change the fact that he inherited a winning team from Butch Davis...and the record got worse and worse year after year.

I agree...he won the championship with Butch Davis' players.

I'm in agreement with that statement too but, I'd say the following statement from Coker is another sign that he's certifiably delusional.

"I have more of my former college players in the NFL today than any college coach, and I'm very proud of that," he (Coker) said.

Umm, how are we in a wait and see mode? We just hired a consultant that was a founding father of CUSA. We have built our stadium. We are doing EVERYTHING to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

• Upvote 1

Umm, how are we in a wait and see mode? We just hired a consultant that was a founding father of CUSA. We have built our stadium. We are doing EVERYTHING to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

AMEN brother Stebo!!! If a CUSA spot opens up I like our chances. Until then we will do our best for the Belt!