Holy Wac Batman.... Now What?

NT80

If nobody else defects by morning only 6 schools will remain in the WAC as football-playing members. I'm sure the remaining 6 (Hawaii, San Jose, La Tech, NMSU, Utah State, and Idaho) were all giddy earlier Wednesday when BYU was rumored to be on it's way to the WAC for all sports except football, and football would play some of them.

Now what?? Commish Benson always has a plan. Failure of the WAC is not an option for him. Expect RV's phone to be ringing about 8am Thursday morning...from guess who?

Anyway, don't turn your nose up at them yet...the San Jose newspaper thinks highly of North Texas as a major college team...

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15822168?nclick_check=1

Would Benson dare try to do unto others as was done unto him (as in raid the SBC)?

10 teams needed: (would this make any difference??)

West

Hawaii

San Jose

Utah State

NMSU

Idaho

East

La Tech

UNT

ULL

Ark State

MTSU

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If nobody else defects by morning only 6 schools will remain in the WAC as football-playing members. I'm sure the remaining 6 (Hawaii, San Jose, La Tech, NMSU, Utah State, and Idaho) were all giddy earlier Wednesday when BYU was rumored to be on it's way to the WAC for all sports except football, and football would play some of them.

Now what?? Commish Benson always has a plan. Failure of the WAC is not an option for him. Expect RV's phone to be ringing about 8am Thursday morning...from guess who?

Anyway, don't turn your nose up at them yet...the San Jose newspaper thinks highly of North Texas as a major college team...

Would Benson dare try to do unto others as was done unto him (as in raid the SBC)?

West

Hawaii

San Jose

Utah State

NMSU

Idaho

East

La Tech

UNT

ULL

Ark State

MTSU

That does nothing for me. What we have....and add the crap of the WAC. No thanks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

West

Hawaii

San Jose

Utah State

NMSU

Idaho

East

La Tech

UNT

ULL

Ark State

MTSU

Can't see MTSU moving West. Looks like this purposed conference whould be better in DII.

• Upvote 2

West

Hawaii

San Jose

Utah State

NMSU

Idaho

East

La Tech

UNT

ULL

Ark State

MTSU

You have to have a conference someone wants to be in to pull off a raid. Those same Belt schools said no when Boise was a member. Earlier this summer we said, "Not now" when Fresno and Nevada were members. They have to get to 8 to still qualify as a conference. AND six of them must have been together for at least years. This is important as without Fresno, San Jose State is already talking about dropping football to save money. That means no automatic post season play for NCAA tournaments in basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer, etc.

The commissioner of the West Coast Conference has invited BYU to move it's non-football teams in it with the other religious schools like Gonzaga and St Mary's. It that happens - and remember it is the LDS church that gets to make the decision - then the end really is near for the WAC.

Didn't someone try to make the argument the INSTABILITY was good? Sun Belt is looking a lot better now. It is possible the Sun Belt could pick up the WAC's slot in the New Mexico Bowl without a NCAA recognized WAC.

Why don't we (the Sun Belt) raid the WAC and take on NMSU and LaTech. When USA jumps up in football as expected that gives us 12 teams. It would be a better option for us than trying to jump ship to a dying WAC and try and revive it.

That's fine by me. Do you still keep UALR and Denver?

Why not? They still compete in non football athletics and it may not be a bad idea down the track to add a few more non football schools. Its worked out well for a few other conferences.

Personally...I'd like to be in a league where every team plays football. And I really don't know the last time UNT was in a league...where that was the case. The Mo Valley, Big West, Southland and Belt all had non football playing members.

how would a belt conference with n.mexico st, nt,a-state,ull,ulm,and la.tech in the west, fau,fi,middle,wk,troy, and s.ala. in the east play out? la tech is a natural fit, but n.mexico state has severe budget issues and is 600 miles from denton. i don't see what they bring to the table except a football team worse than ours.

• Upvote 1

In life there are winners and losers.

The WAC has 16 teams since 1999. They are down to little of value.

Time for the Sun Belt to grab two, kill them and collect the power-up coin.

http://beltboard.com/?p=432

I agree 100%

Another reason to go in and kill the WAC now is to keep them from inviting Texas St. and UTSA at some point in the future and "passing us by." It would be beneficial for our program to keep them out of the rebuilt WAC.

• Downvote 1

how would a belt conference with n.mexico st, nt,a-state,ull,ulm,and la.tech in the west, fau,fi,middle,wk,troy, and s.ala. in the east play out? la tech is a natural fit, but n.mexico state has severe budget issues and is 600 miles from denton. i don't see what they bring to the table except a football team worse than ours.

RPI boost

I don't think this scenario makes the conference all that better nor worse really. NT still wouldn't travel west that often since most games would be with divisional teams and whatever OOC games you have. Right now I think what NT does depends on what LA Tech does and vice versa. Seems NT and LA Tech are sort of in the middle and don't really have anywhere to go in this realignment process.

Another reason to go in and kill the WAC now is to keep them from inviting Texas St. and UTSA at some point in the future and "passing us by." It would be beneficial for our program to keep them out of the rebuilt WAC.

UTSA has yet to play a down of football. At the end of this year they STILL will have yet to play a down of football. They have a coach who was fired from Miami and that no school with an actual team wanted yet he somehow is convinced he is great.

Texas State has had four or five winning seasons in the last 25 years at the 1AA/FCS level. History has shown teams moving up from that level to FBS ball have a tough decade ahead with very, very rare exceptions.

How many conference championships do we have pained on the side of the press box? With that history, those two won't be "passing us" as a total program anytime soon.

http://beltboard.com/?p=432

Excellent read about the history of the WAC and what the SunBelt should do. I'd love to have NMSU and La Tech back in. I can't see La Tech as willing and WW isn't the kind of commish to pull the trigger on a kill shot to another conference, the WAC (but he should!).

No one rushed to save us when the WAC fired what appeared to be the kill shot, and would have been had UNT and ULL not held firm.

It is in our interest to put the WAC out of business. The question is are there 8 university presidents in the Sun Belt willing to cast votes to add Tech and NMSU.