La Tech Discusses Wac Options

Harry

If New Mexico and LA Tech go to the Belt, then all we have to do is wait for South Alabama to make the transition and we're a conference with a championship game.

So then, the wait and see method might work out? Interesting, so are you still in favor of RV being proactive or critical of the "wait and see" methond?

So without Nevada and Fresno that leaves the WAC at 6. You need at least 8 for a conference. So no WAC, what does BYU do. Go indy in all sports? Go back to the MWC with it's tail between it's legs?

THey never left. They only announced they were "considering the option of independent football and all other sports in the WAC," but they have not actually told the MWC they were leaving. Still they can go indy and I read someplace last night the commissioner of the West Coast Conference and sent word to BYU all their other sports would be welcome there. The WCC is composed mostly of religiously affiliated schools and has a very strong basketball league.

If New Mexico and LA Tech go to the Belt, then all we have to do is wait for South Alabama to make the transition and we're a conference with a championship game.

I love the idea of adding NMSU and La Tech, but I would prefer no championship game for a while. Of course it depends on what kind of TV contract we could get for it, but I don't think it would be enough to offset one of our division champions having an additional loss. When the conference has more history and the TV money becomes large enough, then yes let's have one.

So then, the wait and see method might work out? Interesting, so are you still in favor of RV being proactive or critical of the "wait and see" methond?

I would submit that going after LA Tech and MNSU is not a "wait and see" strategy. I'd rather we thump our chest and talk ourselves up to CUSA, MWC, and Big 12, but this option is at least something.