Monday Afternoon Notes

Brett Vito

I love that Rodge is getting some reps. I think he should at least go under center 3-4 times a game. This adds another dimension to our offense, and one that teams will have to prepare for. I just hope Rodge can stay healthy. I remember seeing him play receiver at Fouts as a true freshman, and thinking to myself...man that kid is an athlete, and the next play he got hurt.

• Upvote 1

I would rather have him at receiver. Riley does not have the arm strength and did not take care of the football. But what do I know.....

What makes you think a career backup and a sophmore with 3 career pass attempts would automatically take better control of the ball?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love that Rodge is getting some reps. I think he should at least go under center 3-4 times a game. This adds another dimension to our offense, and one that teams will have to prepare for. I just hope Rodge can stay healthy. I remember seeing him play receiver at Fouts as a true freshman, and thinking to myself...man that kid is an athlete, and the next play he got hurt.

Because of his past injury situation, I hope that they don't build too much of the offense around him....even as a WR. If they insist on having a playmaker-type in there under center they should give Darius Carey some reps at it.....as soon as his hand heals. Carey was a QB in HS.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

What makes you think a career backup and a sophmore with 3 career pass attempts would automatically take better control of the ball?

k...well there is a reason he wasn't picked up at a larger school...size and threat of injury (this is all up for debate). Again...noone can get this team as pumped as he can (last year anyway) and he is very very talented. I would just rather have a QB with 30 lbs and 4 inches on him (both fit the case).

• Downvote 1

Interesting that Dodge is getting so many reps...

I like that Riley can still be used as an emergency QB or wildcat QB and he should practice there "some". It will make teams have to account for him on the field more than just as a receiver.

I do have concerns about it sending mixed signals to the team and other QBs. There needs to be one established leader labeled as offensive signal-caller. Hopefully "the guy" will emerge after this next scrimmage (Thompson).

k...well there is a reason he wasn't picked up at a larger school...size and threat of injury (this is all up for debate). Again...noone can get this team as pumped as he can (last year anyway) and he is very very talented. I would just rather have a QB with 30 lbs and 4 inches on him (both fit the case).

You do know he chose us over UT right?

Maybe his arm is not all the way done. With Dunbar back this season I can only dream of what the offense would be capable of this season with Dodge and LD in the backfield having a solid year of experience with each other. I think this might just be him getting some reps to be the #3 QB. Dodge said he won't travel with less than 3 QB's this season, and with Riley knowing the WR spot and the QB spot, they won't have to bring Baine or Teegarden and can suit up another player where we have less depth(particularly the front seven)

Hell, maybe he can still do it. Riley's going to be a player regardless, dude is only a sophomore.

You do know he chose us over UT right?

Maybe his arm is not all the way done. With Dunbar back this season I can only dream of what the offense would be capable of this season with Dodge and LD in the backfield having a solid year of experience with each other. I think this might just be him getting some reps to be the #3 QB. Dodge said he won't travel with less than 3 QB's this season, and with Riley knowing the WR spot and the QB spot, they won't have to bring Baine or Teegarden and can suit up another player where we have less depth(particularly the front seven)

Hell, maybe he can still do it. Riley's going to be a player regardless, dude is only a sophomore.

absolutely I do...I had been meaning to place "as a qb" into that statement just making reference to how his size is not something highly sought out by big brand teams

• Downvote 1

I, too, am glad to see Riley getting reps at QB. Just shows the diversity of the offense that Chico is installing this season. Everyone seems to be really pumped about Chico and the offense he is building, so why question him now about Riley getting some reps at QB? The kid is a QB and was our #1 QB last season before the injury. So, why not? I am really excited about the things we should be seeing this year in offensive sets and plays. Why not use all the talents you have in every spot you think they can help make the team successful? I'll let Chico decide if and how much time Riley will see at QB, etc.

If you really do stop and think about it, this is all positive news from the offensive side of the ball. Now, let's get that "D" going.....

GO MEAN GREEN!

1. Riley played next to zero QB in Spring.

2. If Riley isn't ready to play QB, third string falls to one of two walk-ons.

3. We need a third QB.

4. Riley is behind after not getting reps at QB during Spring, so he's taking added reps in Fall to make up for falling behind.

5. Find me another third QB anywhere in the country who accounted for 14 TDs and nearly 2500 yards of offense last season.

Or

1. New OC Canales will implement more of a "Wildcat" type offense than previously used here.

2. Since said offense is new, it needs added practice.

3. Riley, one of the highest regarded "Athletes" to sign at UNT will be utilized heavily in this new offense.

4. New offenses require added reps so its effective in games.

5. Find me another "Wildcat" QB anywhere in the country who accounted for 14 TDs and nearly 2500 yards of offense last season.

This is how logic works.

• Upvote 1

1. Riley played next to zero QB in Spring.

2. If Riley isn't ready to play QB, third string falls to one of two walk-ons.

3. We need a third QB.

4. Riley is behind after not getting reps at QB during Spring, so he's taking added reps in Fall to make up for falling behind.

5. Find me another third QB anywhere in the country who accounted for 14 TDs and nearly 2500 yards of offense last season.

Or

1. New OC Canales will implement more of a "Wildcat" type offense than previously used here.

2. Since said offense is new, it needs added practice.

3. Riley, one of the highest regarded "Athletes" to sign at UNT will be utilized heavily in this new offense.

4. New offenses require added reps so its effective in games.

5. Find me another "Wildcat" QB anywhere in the country who accounted for 14 TDs and nearly 2500 yards of offense last season.

This is how logic works.

Sportsflash!