Scrimmage Coverage

Harry

That was just packed full of different observations. Just a couple of things to nitpick out of all of that--isn't Matt Tomlinson presently in the lead for the second guard spot? You mentioned several others, but left him out. Also, it's Tyler Stradford, not Troy. I much appreciate the insight--I'd give you a +1 if you'd let me!

• Downvote 1

That was just packed full of different observations. Just a couple of things to nitpick out of all of that--isn't Matt Tomlinson presently in the lead for the second guard spot? You mentioned several others, but left him out. Also, it's Tyler Stradford, not Troy. I much appreciate the insight--I'd give you a +1 if you'd let me!

Thanks for the correction on Stradford's first name I guess he reminds me of Redwine ;-), I really go off of notes of things that I see or get my attention during the scrimmage and I did not make notes on Tomlinson. I would include him in the list just he as many others didn't catch my eye much on Saturday. That guard spot battle is far from over - might be the biggest battle next to QB. Big battles at LB with Orr, Herron pushing for time and of course the secondary is looking for a CB. Bean is finally healthy and Fortenberry is looking like a steal for a walk-on to me. We know what we have from the other 4. With all of the new players and numbers it is sort of like information overload, things will become clearer in the next couple of weeks..

I have some other interesting things I will share later in the week.

Also if anyone has any specific questions feel free to post them here and I will try to answer them here or in the blog will try to get you some answers. GMG!.

One other thought on Tomlinson, we focus a lot of attention on the guard spot but lest us not forget Tomlinson could be the backup at tackle as well. Antonio Johnson is too young, Noble is a redshirt freshman and the big cat transfer from Cali Adedipe is still a question mark. My point is that I'm going to expect that even if Tomlinson wins the guard spot (he hasn't yet) you need to have a backup tackle ready to go as well. I wouldn't completely rule out Mason Y'Barbo at that guard spot yet either! GMG!

Also if anyone has any specific questions feel free to post them here and I will try to answer them here or in the blog will try to get you some answers. GMG!.

Did you notice anything about the LB Forlando Johnson?

Also, of everything you witnessed, what was the one thing that surprised you? And what was the one thing that made you most excited?

Did you notice anything about the LB Forlando Johnson?

Also, of everything you witnessed, what was the one thing that surprised you? And what was the one thing that made you most excited?

I think Johnson can really move, he has good lateral movement and a nose for the ball. He's a good player.

The thing that most surprised me was the overall size of the team. We have some legitimate D-I sized players. I'll give you an example, this freshman Richard Abbe from West Texas is just huge! They had him in on some goal line plays and the guy needs to lose some weight from a conditioning perspective but he takes up a lot of space. Atkinson, Jackson, Weber, Santiago, Bean, Johnson these are some good sized guys.

Biggest disappointment was seeing bigs LaChris Anyiem and Kyle White sitting out. Those two guys could give us such a boost this year.

I am excited about Derek Thompson and the new offense under Canales.