Unt Works On Tackling, Being Physical, Thursday Practice Video

Brett Vito

The "W" drill, or "Blood Alley" as it is also known, has been as common to football practices

as cleats and chin straps for generations. I think I first participated in one in the 5th grade, although usually the rest of the players who are waiting their turn line up along the sides so that the guy running the ball can't run out of bounds around cones to avoid a hit. You either foughtt through the tackle or got the crap knocked out of you. A Dickey/Deloach run practice during "Blood Alley" drills were some of the most exciting football practices to watch. Even the QB's, Kickers and Punters had to participate in it. There was no taking it easy on anyone regardless of what color practice jersey they had on and the equipment guys were constantly changing out and replacing the face mask mounts on the helmets from the massive collisions.

The very fact that this is just now being introduced and considered something "NEW" around here says and explains a lot about the past three years. Better late than never I suppose?

Rick

• Upvote 3

The "W" drill, or "Blood Alley" as it is also known, has been as common to football practices

as cleats and chin straps for generations. I think I first participated in one in the 5th grade, although usually the rest of the players who are waiting their turn line up along the sides so that the guy running the ball can't run out of bounds around cones to avoid a hit. You either foughtt through the tackle or got the crap knocked out of you. A Dickey/Deloach run practice during "Blood Alley" drills were some of the most exciting football practices to watch. Even the QB's, Kickers and Punters had to participate in it. There was no taking it easy on anyone regardless of what color practice jersey they had on and the equipment guys were constantly changing out and replacing the face mask mounts on the helmets from the massive collisions.

The very fact that this is just now being introduced and considered something "NEW" around here says and explains a lot about the past three years. Better late than never I suppose?

Rick

+1

There was also a drill they did in the Dickey/Deloach days where they threw two guys in a circle of players and the first one to "tackle" the other won. It inevitably ended up with both players pretty much beating the crap out of each other. No one ever got seriously injured, and you could see that "bulldog" attitude, plain as day, on each and every down.

Thank God they are finally doing this! Between bringing something like this back and the workouts these kids were doing over the summer I am starting to get really pumped about this year!

You guys are right on about Dickey and the way we practiced then. EVERY DAY in pads during the spring and two-a-days ended with something like this. Rather it was 1 on 1 or 3 on 3 Oklahoma drill or the much more violent cover drill, we would get after it. I remember the days that we would do 1 on 1 Oklahoma drills were a relief after enough time doing all of this. Hell, we used to get called out in groups which sometimes involved the kickers going against linebackers. Bazaldua held his own by the way! Looking back now it is funny how as much as you hate it, beating the crap out of each other can bring you closer together and make you a team. A tough team at that!

Good for the players and for Dodge. It seems like they are putting in the work and are going to send Fouts off with a bang not a whimper in 2010!

• Upvote 4

Thank God they are finally doing this! Between bringing something like this back and the workouts these kids were doing over the summer I am starting to get really pumped about this year!

You guys are right on about Dickey and the way we practiced then. EVERY DAY in pads during the spring and two-a-days ended with something like this. Rather it was 1 on 1 or 3 on 3 Oklahoma drill or the much more violent cover drill, we would get after it. I remember the days that we would do 1 on 1 Oklahoma drills were a relief after enough time doing all of this. Hell, we used to get called out in groups which sometimes involved the kickers going against linebackers. Bazaldua held his own by the way! Looking back now it is funny how as much as you hate it, beating the crap out of each other can bring you closer together and make you a team. A tough team at that!

Good for the players and for Dodge. It seems like they are putting in the work and are going to send Fouts off with a bang not a whimper in 2010!

AMEN!!! Violent is a VERY good way to describe Dickey's drills!! His goal line drills were intense as well! Good to hear Dodge is making these changes.